My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who knows about the star system Siris?

Aeelorty

they (The Dogon) predicted according to Robert Temple that Sirius was a binary star system. Of course we knew this in the early 1900's but we needed telescopes to figure it out where they didn't. They also didn't have much contact with outsiders so their legends were hardly corrupted by time and people.

I got that part but what evidence did they site? It sounds more like they believed that Sirius was a trinary star system, which is not the case. It has also been suggested that the Dogon where not as knowledgeable in astronomy as has been suggested by their chronicles who may have either fabricated some of their support or contaminated the Dogon culture with outside info.

I think it would be cool of the Dogon did have some kind of unexplained knowledge, but I just don't think the evidence supports the claim that they held advanced astrological knowledge ahead of the science at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bro. Vincent

I think it would be cool of the Dogon did have some kind of unexplained knowledge, but I just don't think the evidence supports the claim that they held advanced astrological knowledge ahead of the science at the time.
I beg to differ about your statement...what "evidence" and who and what are your sources? The Dogon, the Yoruba, the Mali and many other African groups have somewhat similar high cosmological sciences in their folklore. This is beyond simple astrology, this is also the meta-physical and spiritual aspects wrapped together. The Zulu have been telling western scientist forever that their ancestors come from Mars and we all know what pictures the Viking Probe recorded and sent back to earth in 1976 and the US and Briton have been trying to get back there ever sense. The Egyptians and the Dogon say they astro travel...There many hieroglyphs in the tombs of Egypt that support this notion.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Half (and that is a conservative number) of all the stars in the universe are binary or multiple star systems. Sirius is the brightest star(system) in the sky. Consider odds.

Now consider the odds that an alien species would be of similar size as us. Live in the same time as us (this brief last 10,000 years or so is but a very, very brief moment on the scale of the universe). That they shredded the laws of physics and created much, much faster than light travel - the sort of thing which would require the energy of a black hole. Not a piece of it, but all of it.

If you make the leap that they discovered a way around time/light/space and got here, if you make the leap that they happened to be roughly the same size as us, and were carbon based "amphibians", there is still the bit about why they would choose to vanish. So you have to tack on a) some sort of holocaust/disease, b) ran out of black hole fuel, c) someone broke their prime directive, and now they went back to observing it, or some other sort of equally....well...sort of reaching scenario.

I'm no numbers man, but stack the odds of what I'm getting at in my first sentence to the odds I'm getting at in the rest.

Really, I'm not trying to be disrespectful - but Occam's razor :)

Personally speaking, I think that for better or worse, we are alone. I also believe that there is, has been, or will most certainly will be life on other planets. But time on a universal scale is far, far different than the brief history of man, or even of mankind in general. And faster than light travel is mostly the stuff of space opera that truly, is likely to not be possible by any means. I say that sadly, and after having taken a bit of physics and coming to realize that fact.

We're on this rock. Others are on their rocks. The fraction of living creatures that make it to our level of intelligence, and then civilization, are separated by size, distance, vastly different atmospheres and millions and millions of years. That probably sounds awfully defeatist, but its not like in 1200 when we had oceans to conquer by the winds. The distances are simply too vast. We conquered the oceans and populated the world and now we yearn for the stars and companion species - and so our natures yearn for confirmation that we are not alone in the universe. The knowing it isn't enough, and we probably won't ever give up hoping and wishing. It is like a splinter in our minds, for we are an expansionist, exploration, frontier loving species.

Oh hell, I went to rambling.

Short version - its interesting stuff, but I doubt they were visited by aliens :001_cool:

Bro. Vincent

Half (and that is a conservative number) of all the stars in the universe are binary or multiple star systems. Sirius is the brightest star(system) in the sky. Consider odds.

Now consider the odds that an alien species would be of similar size as us. Live in the same time as us (this brief last 10,000 years or so is but a very, very brief moment on the scale of the universe). That they shredded the laws of physics and created much, much faster than light travel - the sort of thing which would require the energy of a black hole. Not a piece of it, but all of it.

If you make the leap that they discovered a way around time/light/space and got here, if you make the leap that they happened to be roughly the same size as us, and were carbon based "amphibians", there is still the bit about why they would choose to vanish. So you have to tack on a) some sort of holocaust/disease, b) ran out of black hole fuel, c) someone broke their prime directive, and now they went back to observing it, or some other sort of equally....well...sort of reaching scenario.

I'm no numbers man, but stack the odds of what I'm getting at in my first sentence to the odds I'm getting at in the rest.

Really, I'm not trying to be disrespectful - but Occam's razor :)

Personally speaking, I think that for better or worse, we are alone. I also believe that there is, has been, or will most certainly will be life on other planets. But time on a universal scale is far, far different than the brief history of man, or even of mankind in general. And faster than light travel is mostly the stuff of space opera that truly, is likely to not be possible by any means. I say that sadly, and after having taken a bit of physics and coming to realize that fact.

We're on this rock. Others are on their rocks. The fraction of living creatures that make it to our level of intelligence, and then civilization, are separated by size, distance, vastly different atmospheres and millions and millions of years. That probably sounds awfully defeatist, but its not like in 1200 when we had oceans to conquer by the winds. The distances are simply too vast. We conquered the oceans and populated the world and now we yearn for the stars and companion species - and so our natures yearn for confirmation that we are not alone in the universe. The knowing it isn't enough, and we probably won't ever give up hoping and wishing. It is like a splinter in our minds, for we are an expansionist, exploration, frontier loving species.

Oh hell, I went to rambling.

Short version - its interesting stuff, but I doubt they were visited by aliens :001_cool:

Hmmmm... I never once mentioned aliens. I said Astro-travel. The metaphysically traveling. The problem is we try to fit these concepts in our narrow vision of reality and then say that's impossible. The Greeks thought they were the greatest civilization in the world until they came in contact with ancient Egyptians then their reality in Greece was changed forever... I cannot get to far into that on this site because that gets into things that volumes of books are written about...

But I think it would a bit arrogant as humans to say there aren't other intelligent beings in the universe. Maybe we aren't spiritually strong enough to communicate with them... And I said spiritually not religiously strong enough, there is a difference.

All ancient "wholistic cultures" since the beginning of time speaks of other dimensions and beings. We have been so spiritually dumb down that we don't look past our flat screen TVs for any sort of information. And anything other than what is in front us must discounted...

To me everything we are looking for is within ourselves not outside ourselves. All answers to the universe are inside ourselves...

It's internal qualifications of a man not the external ...

Freemason Connect Mobile

widows son

Premium Member
I don't have the cites off hand, but I do know there is many references Robert Temple makes. I do know that the French explorers that Bro. Vincent mentioned is one of them.

Bro. Vincent I concur with your last statements.

Bro. Vincent

I don't have the cites off hand, but I do know there is many references Robert Temple makes. I do know that the French explorers that Bro. Vincent mentioned is one of them.

Bro. Vincent I concur with your last statements.

Yeah im gonna check that book out!

Freemason Connect Mobile

widows son

Premium Member
No problemo.

-- I'd like to add that far distance space travel may seem impossible. But that is now. My grandfather was born in southern Italy in 1926 where horse and buggy was still used. He's alive and well today. He has witnessed the great advancement we achieved in the 20th century. And we advance every year exponentially. In 10 years we'll be able to fit 10,000 microchips on the head of a pin. So to say that it would be impossible to travel great distances in space, I think would be cutting ourselves short. I think like every mother, Earth will one day have to say good bye to her children (us) and move on from
Home, and to find new homes and new brothers and sisters of the flesh.

Bro. Vincent

No problemo.

-- I'd like to add that far distance space travel may seem impossible. But that is now. My grandfather was born in southern Italy in 1926 where horse and buggy was still used. He's alive and well today. He has witnessed the great advancement we achieved in the 20th century. And we advance every year exponentially. In 10 years we'll be able to fit 10,000 microchips on the head of a pin. So to say that it would be impossible to travel great distances in space, I think would be cutting ourselves short. I think like every mother, Earth will one day have to say good bye to her children (us) and move on from
Home, and to find new homes and new brothers and sisters of the flesh.

Yeah but im saying the ancients were "going " to these places back then... Today is not aWe simply trying to figure out how it was done in the past. Nothing under the sun is new. Nothing! It just repeats until the creator says EN

Freemason Connect Mobile

Sorry I pressed send before I finished my thought.
What I was trying to say is the ancients say they actually going to these places. This was not fantasy. It's like the movie Matrix. We are stuck I this reality which anything else seems impossible.

It's not impossible we're just stuck in this reality.

Freemason Connect Mobile

widows son

Premium Member
But how can you say definitively that they did?

If I told you that I travelled to Sirius, would you believe me?

Bro. Vincent

If I told you that I travelled to Sirius, would you believe me?

Hmm that depends. See I understand that if one would have the spiritual power to do that all things are possible. But what i can say is you astral travel when you're dreaming. When you are in a conscious state but can go into that "middle"ground between conscience and subconscious state all things are possible. That middle ground, middle, med, meditative state allows you to do alot metaphysical things if you are learned in those sciences. I am not. Maybe you are...I have no idea.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro. Vincent

But how can you say definitively that they did?

I say that because there are groups that talk about things and have recorded things from the past and future that they would have absolutely no way of knowing unless they were there but they weren't ...And they say they are in constant communication with their ancestors. This is the job of the high priest. To communicate with the ancestors to lead and guide the people.

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
But that's just it. You cant see the third star even with a telescope, even today...

Right. That's my point. Why should a native language even *have* words for "trinary star system"? it has to be a translation failure.

Look up at the sky when Sirius is visible and think about that. Not with a telescope just with your eyes. Point in the direction of the brightest star in the sky. What do you see? Not just one star. There's a triangle of stars with no need of telescopes. What got translated as "a trinary star system" had to be wrong. it had to mean "a triangle of stars".

Are they from another star? No more than any of us. That triangle of stars is in the southern sky. Their ancestors migrated from the south. They tell tales of water creatures but they live in arid lands. Their ancestors migrated from a wetter climate. When not taken literally and when not using unreasonable translation details the difficulties disappear.

Bro. Vincent

I cannot say whether or not something was lost in translation, for I am not a linguist. But I simply don't think by chance these people mapped out the heavens and did it simply by looking a the southern skies and going "oh there it is." If that was the case, as you say, how come no one else spoke of the addditonal stars to Sirius A before them? At least I can't find a record of others writing down they knew of them. If there was something lost in translation, was it all possbile that the people studying them were the one's who misundrestood what was being conveyed to them? Again many cultures with an holistic culture have a solar or stellar comosicalogical story to their existence.

My point is there is a reason scientist go and live with these people for years on end to study them...Or why else would they even do it? It is my belief that these holistic cultures, newer and ancient hold sceinces that we can only dream about in the current state we find ourselves in...as for as tales of water creatures, that again is something that is not umcommon of many newer and ancient holistic cultures. Could these be deities that these people are referring to like the African Yorubas have the water deity Yemaja? Or what the west may call mermaids? And tell tales about them as a learning technique like mother goose storys?

Unless you study these spiritual systems as a whole it is very hard to understand them. I absolutley reject the notion the west has put on the spirtual system Voo Doo or Vodou as evil and/or devil worshipping. This system once understood is a beautiful West African spirtiual system syncretized with Catholicism as well as Santaria. But if you do not understand these systems in it's whole, yes, you are subject to things getting lost in translation and writing it off and it's people. But that did not happen with the Dogon. They are still being studied to this day. So I will say where there is smoke there is fire. People who have spent a considerable amount of time of their lives living with these people want to know how they knew these things.

And so do I..