My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are there no Rosettes in an EA apron?

Rinesh Hegde

A MM apron has 3 Rosettes, a FC has 2, then why is it that an EA apron doesn't have any Rosette, shouldn't the natural way be have 1 Rosette as it is the first degree?

CLewey44

I've never seen rosettes used at all except one time in a TO lodge. I do however know they are used outside the U.S.

Bloke

Premium Member
Hi Rinesh.

Many American Brothers would have no idea of what you're talking about. Just like brothers from our jurisdictions would have no idea when a Bro from Sth America speaks of turning his apron in the Third Degree..

I've actually never heard or read a completely satisfactory answer on why an EA has no rossettes. I've heard it said the 3 rossettes on a MM also represents the three obligations he's taken of each degree, the FC's two rossettes his two obligations, but that logic falls down...

I just tell bros they are there to easily distinguish rank.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I've heard it said the 3 rossettes on a MM also represents the three obligations he's taken of each degree, the FC's two rossettes his two obligations, but that logic falls down...

I would say the EA's apron IS the first rosette.

CLewey44

I'm curious as to why it's not normal practice in the U.S. to wear our aprons in accordance to whatever degree our lodge is opened on. Afterall, even as 3rd degree masons, 33rds or whatever, we still are EAs and FCs just as much and to have that conformity, I think that would make the most sense.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I'm curious as to why it's not normal practice in the U.S. to wear our aprons in accordance to whatever degree our lodge is opened on. Afterall, even as 3rd degree masons, 33rds or whatever, we still are EAs and FCs just as much and to have that conformity, I think that would make the most sense.
Good question. Similarly, whenever doing a AASR funeral here in Kentucky everyone wears their 32nd Degree Black Hat regardless of actual status.

drw72

Premium Member
I met a Brother a few years ago in England while I was still an EA. We still keep in touch so I posed the question to him....here is his answer:

"To answer your question re the Apprentice apron.
The Apron is the badge and the rosettes are the awards of merit if you like. The triangle of the apron is worn either up or down depending on which lodge follows that style. but mostly up, as it represents the "Bib" of an operative mason."

He also mentioned that he had attended a lecture many years ago giving a full history of the apron. I have attached a copy of the document he sent me.

Attachments

• The History and Meaning of the Apron.pdf
    212.6 KB · Views: 771

Rinesh Hegde

I met a Brother a few years ago in England while I was still an EA. We still keep in touch so I posed the question to him....here is his answer:

"To answer your question re the Apprentice apron.
The Apron is the badge and the rosettes are the awards of merit if you like. The triangle of the apron is worn either up or down depending on which lodge follows that style. but mostly up, as it represents the "Bib" of an operative mason."

He also mentioned that he had attended a lecture many years ago giving a full history of the apron. I have attached a copy of the document he sent me.

Bro. Dave Woodruff can't thank you enough for the paper... it's really great. Helped me a lot in understanding the importance of an apron. If only there was an option to superlike your response.