My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why did you join the freemasons?

ahyen

was wondering why everyone decided to petition. what first attracted you to, what was it that helped you decide to petition? and how long ago was it?

Freemason Connect Mobile

JKC84

Researched them for 5 years before I moved forward. Alway know two things,

1.) what your getting into
2.) your reasoning for getting into it.

This brotherhood is THE OLDEST FRATERNITY in the world and not every man can say "I am a Mason"

Freemason Connect Mobile

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
It seemed like the rite thing to do at the time... ;-) As with the brother above, I had been curious for several years, and found a lodge that felt like home.

sallred90

I joined do to my grandfathers influence on me as a mason-Scottish rite-Shriner ..I knew I wanted to follow his foot steps but never realized what it would be like to get the chance to be in this brotherhood

Freemason Connect Mobile

DJGurkins

Floresville #515
Premium Member
About 2 years ago I contacted my Floresville lodge af & am #515 sec. Then I waited and researched till January of this year. I petitioned and am now EA.
I petitioned in order to get more involved in the community plus I have always been interested in Masonry. I am a truck driver so I don't have the opportunity to meet many people within our community. I am glad I did because our lodge has a few retired drivers and they understand my dilemma. Also we only moved to Floresville TX 8 years ago and we are both from out of state originally.

Last edited:

URSA

A year ago I saw a television special and found out that my Lodge was holding open house. I spoke with several brothers and realized the Fraternity was something I wanted in my life.

Freemason Connect Mobile

ni3f

I wanted to have the same experience of my late father -- I wanted to "connect"
with him in some way. Besides, I had a "favorable impression of the institution."

I confess to having been attracted by all the secrecy. I am very, very glad I became a mason -- I could never have imagined how profound it was. The "secrecy" parts are not particularly of interest to me now--the fellowship, charity, ethical and spiritual aspects are of great interest.

Ironic that so many of the secrets deal with keeping the secrets a secret. Sort of circular!

Freemason Connect Mobile

OES513

I became OES because I always watched my grandfather and would always ask him questions and got no answers except if you want to search for the light you must seek the light....and I wanted to become a lady of Love ...so I seeked the light..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Freemasonry mobile app

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
I was active in my community and international business, and befriended men who where accomplished Masons in both settings. I felt a strong kinship to the first (an Australian man I worked with for many years) and when I met and got to know the second I felt the same way. So I figured the chances of meeting other men who I felt that kinship with within Freemasonry was very high. Both were very adamant that I would make a good Mason, though of course didn't out and out nudge me to lodge.

Sat on my petition for a year, thought about it, and then drove forward.

ahyen

Researched them for 5 years before I moved forward. Alway know two things,

This brotherhood is THE OLDEST FRATERNITY in the world and not every man can say "I am a Mason"

Freemason Connect Mobile

One of my favourite things about it :) it has historical awesomeness and it being so hard to become a mason just makes it even more special.

Freemason Connect Mobile

ahyen

I joined OES after 6 years of praying and research.....best thing by far I have ever done......

Freemason Connect Mobile

the eastern star is for women right? and is the process the same? do you have the same degrees or are they different?

Freemason Connect Mobile

ahyen

i met my ex in 2006. we were togethet until august 11 of 2012. we have two children together. she was unfaithful during our last year together. it was very hard on me, i started drinking a lot. for like 3 straight months i wake up start drinking and drink until 7 when.i.would talk to the boys on the phone. then i would go to bed, and start over the next day. lost my car license business and house throughout all of it.

i began toying with the idea of reconstructing myself from scratch, building a new me exactly the way i want.

i got a notebook and started creating a profile of a me i would be happy with.

then last month i learned what being a mason meant
. ive no family now as all i had for family was her family. and thats gone. everyone in my life now.ive known.less than 7 months. i had to start renting a room in the hood its all i could afford.

so the.thought.of being shown new tools and brothers to help me achieve my goals of a new and.improved me led me to petition. im in to better myself and to not be alone anymore.

sorry for the long post.
Freemason Connect Mobile

Ashlar76

Premium Member
i met my ex in 2006. we were togethet until august 11 of 2012. we have two children together. she was unfaithful during our last year together. it was very hard on me, i started drinking a lot. for like 3 straight months i wake up start drinking and drink until 7 when.i.would talk to the boys on the phone. then i would go to bed, and start over the next day. lost my car license business and house throughout all of it.

i began toying with the idea of reconstructing myself from scratch, building a new me exactly the way i want.

. ive no family now as all i had for family was her family. and thats gone. everyone in my life now.ive known.less than 7 months. i had to start renting a room in the hood its all i could afford.

so the.thought.of being shown new tools and brothers to help me achieve my goals of a new and.improved me led me to petition. im in to better myself and to not be alone anymore.

sorry for the long post.
Freemason Connect Mobile

I've been there myself and know how it is to have to re-build yourself. Masonry has been a huge Blessing to me and has played a big role in my re-building.

I commend you in taking the steps you have to re-build yourself as it is not an easy thing to do. Hang in there though and keep your head up, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Freemason Connect Mobile

JKC84

sorry for the long post.
Freemason Connect Mobile

No apologies needed, it was very well explained. The win for you in this is that you know who your capable of being and your striving to become that. That's exactly what our motto is.... Making Good Men BETTER!

Freemason Connect Mobile

OES513

They are diffrent degrees yes its for women and Masons.. the men r more there to oversee it..

Freemason Connect Mobile

widows son

Premium Member
"Researched them for 5 years before I moved forward. Alway know two things,

- good points.

I felt that after years of looking into masonry, first on the anti side then realizing that its all BS and after a few life changes I decided to join.

Leopard

I will try to describe how I came to freemasonry.
I grew up in the GDR and when the wall fell I was 13.
We had to learn to deal with the freedom.
The thoughts are free and my parents have always taught me to use my mind and follow my heart.
After my graduation, I started an apprenticeship and lived the life of many young people.
One Friday night, there was nothing in the TV and I had nothing else to do.
In the local paper was a anounce. A Masonic lodge in my town held a public lecture.
So I attended.
I was curious, because I only knew of rumors.
I learned many new things and asked many (also stupid) questions.
They were friendly and very patient with me.
I was invited again and again.
They gave me to understand that I would be welcome if I would apply for admission.
But I was too shy and not very confident.
But when I was in another Masonic lodge to visit, asked me the master of the chair why I was not already lengthens Freemasons.
He was impressed by me.
If a stranger assess me so I thought why should not I do it?
I plucked up courage and made ​​a request that was accepted.
It is now many years ago and I do not regret it.
Everywhere in Germany I have always been well received as a brother.
And my journey is far from the end.

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
I petitioned in order to get more involved in the community ...

Same here. I wanted to have some sort of civic activity but I didn't want to get involved in politics. So I started writing down the names of fraternities and service clubs. After a couple of days I cut off adding names to the list figuring if it took me a while to think of them I might not find them in another place should I have to relocate. Then I went through the list making decisions until only one was left. When the list had one name I petitioned in 1993.

... and we are both from out of state originally.

This is a huge advantage to Masonry though similar happens with plenty of other orders.

I went with fraternities not service clubs because my work tends to change more often than my home and service clubs tend to meet over lunch. I went with civilian ones not former military ones because at the time my service years were not yet in the list for the American Legion. Forbidding political discussion was a huge advantage - I crossed two of the animal fraternities because of political and business dealing at their bars. Actually practicing freedom of religion is a huge deal to me - I crossed off one of the animal fraternities because the local chapter excluded Buddhists. I made a point to confirm that there is at least one grand lodge in Japan and that Shinto members are admitted. Masonry really lives up to its claims of religious freedom.

1gcdc1

This is bro. Charles casey first because my pepaw is a mason and one of my fathers friends. Second, I had heard a lot of anti masons tell me how wrong it is. I found out theres no greater feeling than to be a part and accepted by the masonic brotherhood. It s always a great feeling to meet a brother mason no matter where you are.