My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does Freemasonry require a belief in God?

hanzosbm

Premium Member
First and foremost, regarding your anxiety, I can relate, though only in a very minor sense. I know how controlling it can be as well as how infuriating it can be for those without experience to tell you to 'just do it' or 'just get over it'. You mentioned being at the mercy of circumstances and while I see what you mean, I would offer that the end results don't matter, only what is in your heart, so while the circumstances (anxiety or otherwise) may stack the deck against you more than others, and you may see this as unfair, what really matters is what you are able to do with the situation you find yourself in. And in that regard, you have an infinite amount of free will. As the old expression goes, you ALWAYS have a choice. That choice might be small, it might also be extremely difficult, but it is there for you.
You'll likely never be fully free from the social anxiety, but don't look at the choice as whether to conquer the world today or give up. Instead, look at the small choices. You have the choice to get out of bed in the morning or not. Choose the right one. Then you have the choice to shower and get dressed for work, or not. Choose the right one. Then you have the choice to drive to work today, or not. Choose the right one. It's a constant battle, but in my opinion, our success or failure isn't based on where we end up, but rather, how often we made the right choice, regardless of how big of a choice that was. I hope that at some point, the small choices become easier and make way for the bigger choices. I also hope that at some point, one of those choices is whether or not to speak with someone who might be able to help your anxiety issues, and when that day comes, I hope you choose the right one.

I don't do bad things because I'm aware - not through my will but by chance - of what they lead to. It could be said that selfless acts are done on a selfish basis, which may be true, but I see no problem with this. The ends can sometimes justify the means.

What if I told you that the two could not be separated?

Derek Barclay

First and foremost, regarding your anxiety, I can relate, though only in a very minor sense. I know how controlling it can be as well as how infuriating it can be for those without experience to tell you to 'just do it' or 'just get over it'. You mentioned being at the mercy of circumstances and while I see what you mean, I would offer that the end results don't matter, only what is in your heart, so while the circumstances (anxiety or otherwise) may stack the deck against you more than others, and you may see this as unfair, what really matters is what you are able to do with the situation you find yourself in. And in that regard, you have an infinite amount of free will. As the old expression goes, you ALWAYS have a choice. That choice might be small, it might also be extremely difficult, but it is there for you.
You'll likely never be fully free from the social anxiety, but don't look at the choice as whether to conquer the world today or give up. Instead, look at the small choices. You have the choice to get out of bed in the morning or not. Choose the right one. Then you have the choice to shower and get dressed for work, or not. Choose the right one. Then you have the choice to drive to work today, or not. Choose the right one. It's a constant battle, but in my opinion, our success or failure isn't based on where we end up, but rather, how often we made the right choice, regardless of how big of a choice that was. I hope that at some point, the small choices become easier and make way for the bigger choices. I also hope that at some point, one of those choices is whether or not to speak with someone who might be able to help your anxiety issues, and when that day comes, I hope you choose the right one.

I appreciate that. That was encouraging to read. It is a very slow growth, it seems, and I have often been unable to explain my continued optimism. I suppose I tell myself, "What choice do I have?" haha oh the irony.

What if I told you that the two could not be separated?
Well that's an interesting thought. I'll have to roll it around a little bit.

Classical

Premium Member
Your life is a sum total of your choices. Realizing this can give you plenty of humility and grace, towards yourself and others.

Derek Barclay

You may be familiar with the writings of Carlos Castaneda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Castaneda In his writings he recounts that his teacher, a Mexican sorcerer, explains to him that the human mind is a foreign installation. This is a most important proposition that is not well explained in Western literature.
No but I'll look into them.

The intelligence that operates as the mind of the personality in humans is committed to its own preservation and not to the spiritual development of the human.
In my experience with meditation (one episode in particular) I felt as though my ego dissolved completely, and it was... terrifying. I've also had the experience with drug use, and I think that's what is deterring me from using.

One is distracting your line of thought. Another is blurring the memory so that you forget what you intend to do.
This rings true. My memory is quite poor. Though I cannot blame it entirely on the cannabis use because it's been that way my whole life.

The panic attacks indicate unresolved internal trauma. Often the mechanisms enabling the specific trauma to exist can be diagnosed and direct therapy undertaken, but competent practitioners are rare. Mostly a clean lifestyle etc and regular effective meditation will allow the human to grow out of the problems, by healing the internal intelligences and gradually discarding the dense energy in which the trauma exists.
It's certainly a result of trauma, a sexual one, that happened in childhood. I have sought therapy in the past but could not afford competent care. My experience with the free clinic wasn't a pleasant one. The "doctors" there seemed more interested in drowning the issue with pills. The therapists I did speak to seemed less intuitive than myself, and I hate saying that because I don't want to be presumptuous but I often said, "I need to talk to someone smarter than me." I'm trying to clean up. Again I'm optimistic for the future. And again, thanks for the encouragement. Good things. Namaste you guys :)

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
...It's no bullshit.
BS = Bogus Specifics; and there are plenty of them. Look for them; learn from them; correct them.
Possibly mistakes, but not bullshit.
Agreed. See above.
I am being sincere, and you appear to be losing your patience.
LOL! I am being sincere too and blunt. What may appear to be impatience is my letting you know you're not making any sense when one actually connects your dots. Personal responsibility AND accountability are the hallmarks of a person who believes in Free-Will. You appear to be dismissing your personal responsibilities and accountabilities in subtle and consistent ways.
I don't like to be annoying or pedantic,
Yet, you appear to be this way in spite of your professed dislike for this manner.
...but it appears those are the results of discussing these things in the only way I know how. I am sorry.
Translation: It ain't your fault once again.

The organization's premise is Free-will. Its literature may not say that upfront, but it is implied and inferred. It is foundational to its members and prospects. It does sound like this organization will not be understood by you, much less too is it not right for you.

...On your final point, #13: I, and everything else, is at the mercy of circumstance.
On average, 80% of the stuff that occurs in most people's lives is caused by their acted out choices and decisions. The random 20% that is beyond their control still can be dealt with by choice and decision. You do not appear to want to accept this aspect of life. Hence you have the life you have created.
So I would say, yes, I am controlled by somethings... but 'someone'? I've yet to see a reason to believe that.
It matters not. The results are the same. When you believe something other than yourself controls you, you are a sock-puppet. And by default, you are claiming a power greater than yourself controls you, even if it is only "sometimes" and "something". Do the math. You sound like a personified god is out, but a higher power is definitely alive and kicking the heck out of you.
...We may be going in circles saying the same things, just in different ways...
Perhaps, but I am truly clear that you are not aware of what you are actually saying and the implications.

Derek Barclay

Yet, you appear to be this way in spite of your professed dislike for this manner.
Did you choose to be annoyed? Is that the best choice?

The organization's premise is Free-will.
I don't think we agree on the definitions of terms.

It does sound like this organization will not be understood by you, much less too is it not right for you.
I've already conceded this point.

It matters not. The results are the same. When you believe something other than yourself controls you, you are a sock-puppet. And by default, you are claiming a power greater than yourself controls you, even if it is only "sometimes" and "something". Do the math. You sound like a personified god is out, but a higher power is definitely alive and kicking the heck out of you.
It seems to be a combination of fate & free-will. I'm not sure, nor of the ratio of one to the other if it is so.

Perhaps, but I am truly clear that you are not aware of what you are actually saying and the implications.
We've found a point of agreement, brother. :)

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Did you choose to be annoyed? Is that the best choice?
Annoyance tells people that what they perceive is grating. I agree that your assessment of your behavior is spot on, that is all. I, on the other hand, see your behavior as irresponsible coupled with the expressed desire to not accept accountability for it.
I don't think we agree on the definitions of terms.
But how do you know that it is you that is actually thinking, or merely circumstance contriving and driving you to believe that you are? How do you know that your thinking is merely circumstance making you want to dismiss this thinking as a circumstance beyond your control? What if there is actual agreement and you can't compel yourself to agree because it would indicate you have free-will?
It seems to be a combination of fate & free-will. I'm not sure, nor of the ratio of one to the other if it is so.
Perhaps fate shall bring that assurance to you some day.

Last edited: