My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the north a place of darkness?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
thanks, I dont undertand the sun position in the ecliptic as you mention. can you expand that point please?
The brother to whom you are responding has not been active in the forum for some years. I doubt if he will be replying.

TheOldFellow

I wonder if people are thinking too hard and wringing too much out of a relatively simple idea. .... Freemasonry is based, at root, on the path of the sun. The Master is placed in the East, the Junior Warden is placed in the South and the Senior Warden is placed in the West, all of them to mark the passage of the light (and life giving) provided by the sun and in so doing they generate an amazing amount of concealed knowledge all by themselves - here is just one example: A line drawn from East to West is horizontal (level rule) where we all meet. The midday sun is vertical (plumb line) giving the notion of Masonic line and rule = a so called Tau Square that all Masters wear on their aprons = (symbolic) enlightenment. The one place where it ain't, and never will be is the North.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I wonder if people are thinking too hard and wringing too much out of a relatively simple idea. .... Freemasonry is based, at root, on the path of the sun. The Master is placed in the East, the Junior Warden is placed in the South and the Senior Warden is placed in the West, all of them to mark the passage of the light (and life giving) provided by the sun and in so doing they generate an amazing amount of concealed knowledge all by themselves - here is just one example: A line drawn from East to West is horizontal (level rule) where we all meet. The midday sun is vertical (plumb line) giving the notion of Masonic line and rule = a so called Tau Square that all Masters wear on their aprons = (symbolic) enlightenment. The one place where it ain't, and never will be is the North.
How long ago did people make those posts?

not all masters have a taught on their apron.

TheOldFellow

There we go - I just made a daily advancement in Masonic knowledge! I'm clearly being a bit parochial with my UK practices, Nevertheless, the example stands of a figure starting from a dead level and rising to a lively perpendicular before once more resuming the level. In all of this, the sun goes nowhere near the North while neatly illustrating the process of birth, life and death.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
The explanation given in the Monitor, and as explained in the 3rd section of the EA degree, was that the temple was constructed in such a location that the sun "could dart no rays into the northern part thereof. The north, therefore, we Masonically call a place of darkness." In consulting Pikes' "Esoterika," e we find thst the north side of the lodge is the side of the Apprentices. When these composed a significant number of the lodge, as it did when it consisted whlly of Apprentices and Fellows, the Apprentices sat on "the column of the North". [Pike, Esoterika, p. 235]

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
The explanation given in the Monitor, and as explained in the 3rd section of the EA degree, was that the temple was constructed in such a location that the sun "could dart no rays into the northern part thereof. The north, therefore, we Masonically call a place of darkness." In consulting Pikes' "Esoterika," e we find thst the north side of the lodge is the side of the Apprentices. When these composed a significant number of the lodge, as it did when it consisted whlly of Apprentices and Fellows, the Apprentices sat on "the column of the North". [Pike, Esoterika, p. 235]
Not sure of the post to which you are replying.

Presumably, you refer to the AZ monitor.

Pike erred when speaking about freemasonry writ large. You will often find the secretary and treasurer in the North, along with those of grand rank. The stewards you may see along the SW side.

Bloke

Premium Member
Not sure of the post to which you are replying.

Presumably, you refer to the AZ monitor.

Pike erred when speaking about freemasonry writ large. You will often find the secretary and treasurer in the North, along with those of grand rank. The stewards you may see along the SW side.
Agree. In Victoria, Sec and Tres are in the North. WMs & GL Officers in North East