Why is the north a place of darkness?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by pointwithinacircle2, May 15, 2015.

1. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

See that sounds way less wack-a-doo then most of ur posts. All that stuff makes sense but its not "hidden" thats just "do unto others" stuff. But on the flip side some of the best people ive met were under a bridge because they only thought of other people and the most siccessful happy people ive met were the biggest aholes cause all they thought about were them and their own. So the put good in to the universe get good out is crap....

2. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Do unto other beings is the entry price. After that the learning starts - or not - as the case may be.

3. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Coach,
    I'm an under the bridge type... we have a line about giving which is " without detriment to ourselves or our connections" which I try to use to temper my generosity as does thinking of the four cardinal virtues which include temperance and prudence... of the other two in spades...

4. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

James,
    Here I have to disagree with you. Seeing the creation as something we are interconnected with and in some sense alive (or its modern new age variant with the gaia theory) is not the hidden mysteries. That is what more or less every person on earth up untill the 19th century thought to be true. We in the west are right now in a strange anomaly where most just see the creation as a rock spinning in space.
    What you discribed was one way (out of many) on how to make a person more considerate and moral, nothing more. I agree that it is important, but once again, not the hidden mysteries.

In the western tradition, the hidden mysteries discribe our relationship with God (and to some extent creation) and the how to reach that understanding.
    There are several paths and some have slightly different aims, but the most common ones sets as their highest goal for the person to rise up to see God while still alive. Or to discribe it in another way, the process will make you realise the nature of man, creation and God with the same clairity that the Apostles, prophets (or the Buddha) had.

My interpretation on what James have been asking for quite some time now, what the work of the MM is, alludes to the mysteries.
    It is said that in the past that degree alone could start the process that ends with enlightenment. This is no longer the case, but for many it is a good foundation and starting point for those who want to go deeper.

(James, let me know if I misunderstood you in any way!)

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Bloke likes this.
  5. JamestheJust

>let me know if I misunderstood you in any way

Well I would make some of your points a little more pointed.

>Seeing the creation as something we are interconnected with and in some sense alive ... is not the hidden mysteries.

It is the foundation of the hidden mysteries. Inner power arises from right relationship with other intelligences.

You can see some of this in the occasional proposition that humans do not actually need technology. They can achieve whatever is needed through directed intent.

>What you described was one way (out of many) on how to make a person more considerate and moral

That is the entry price in this love-based system of Existence. In a will-based system the nature of morality is quite different. Consider the concept of "pitiless love".

>the hidden mysteries describe our relationship with God (and to some extent creation)

And yet the mysteries were protected by the death penalty. Why was that thought necessary?

>what the work of the MM is, alludes to the mysteries.

Certainly it does, but there are many public access points to the mysteries. Masonry is not the most effective entry, having lost knowledge of its genuine secrets. It still however uses some secrets in its rituals - for example the knocks, the wands and the pavement.

>in the past that degree alone could start the process that ends with enlightenment

In ancient Egypt the raising of the MM took the candidate out of the body into the solar system and he or she certainly did see the Sun at its meridian even though the ceremony was at night. And on return to his "proper place" had no fear of death, having experienced life without a physical body.

Here from the Isiac initiation: "Understand that I approached the bounds of death, I trod the threshold of Proserpine, and after that I was ravished through all the elements, I returned to my proper place; about midnight I saw the sun brightly shine; I saw likewise the gods celestial and the gods infernal, before whom I presented myself and worshiped them." http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/pr/pr09.htm

The above is from the mysteries associated with the widow Isis. In modern Masonry we do a re-enactment of some aspects of that initiation. (Continental Masonry makes greater use of the elements in ritual.)

[​IMG]

It is perhaps worth noting that out-of-body experiences are useful but not essential to what is commonly called enlightenment.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  6. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

uh... yes?

7. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

I feel like I know you a little bit from reading your posts. I think you are searching for the hidden mysteries of science and nature. Actually I think most people are searching for them.

In attempting to answer your question I would like to propose that our thoughts, feelings, and actions are all inescapably related to each other. What we think affects what we feel and do. What we feel affects how we think and act. What we do affects how we think and what we feel. This explains why prayer works, why meditation works, why making a gratitude list works, and why getting off my butt on Saturday and mowing the lawn works. :) All that sounds pretty self explanatory. The reason this is a hidden mystery is that no one knows how deep it really goes. As a further example please read the linked article about how learning to play an instrument contributes to self mastery. https://nunomarinhomusic.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/self-regulation-becoming-your-own-master/

Bloke likes this.
  8. JamestheJust

Traditionally such knowledge was protected by the penalty of death, as symbolically represented by the penalties preserved in modern Freemasonry.

9. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Irony
    :)

Derek Harvey likes this.
  10. JamestheJust

A comforting thought.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  11. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Yeah, really.

12. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

But it makes perfect sense when you realize the "lodge" is not the building or the room. The Lodge is the men who gather to do Work.

Ripcord22A and Warrior1256 like this.
  13. JamestheJust

It seems that HAB did not need to die. There were never any secrets to be protected.

14. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Solve et coagula.

Bloke and Brother JC like this.
  15. Warrior1256

Yep!

coachn likes this.
  16. JamestheJust

So what is the Work? Make more MM?

17. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

To strenghten the virtues and weaken the vices.

Ripcord22A and Warrior1256 like this.
  18. Warrior1256

Well said!

Ripcord22A likes this.
  19. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

In my lodge we say, "...build castles for virtues and dungeons for vices."

dfreybur and Ripcord22A like this.
  20. JamestheJust

I thought that was the work of the EA. And then we have the work of the FC - hidden mysteries of nature and science. And then the work of the MM is: make more MMs?

Share My Freemasonry