My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is this so funny?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Lol....it was funny. However, it does bring into the light the "title hunters" that I sometimes refer to. These are the guys that go through the initiation into a Masonic organization and then you never see them at another meeting.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I love that they include in their list at least one non-masonic order and at least one order that's been declined recognition in all of my jurisdictions.

That photograph is a classic in the field of humor.

CLewey44

I thought the only "title" that mattered was "Brother".
It primarily is but because every Mason has the title of 'Brother', however, it means less to some people that want about 15 distinctive titles before and after their names. It's not a knock on the guys that have those titles because they are illustrious and important. They take work and time to gain as well and are something to be proud of.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
It's not a knock on the guys that have those titles because they are illustrious and important. They take work and time to gain as well and are something to be proud of.
Exactly. I have been an MM for less than 4 years but have already garnered some titles of my own. They are simply byproducts of my participation in numerous Masonic bodies. Therefore, I am not being critical of titles. What I was refering to in my previous post is Brothers that join organizations simply to get another title and then become inactive in these organizations.

CLewey44

Exactly. I have been an MM for less than 4 years but have already garnered some titles of my own. They are simply byproducts of my participation in numerous Masonic bodies. Therefore, I am not being critical of titles. What I was refering to in my previous post is Brothers that join organizations simply to get another title and then become inactive in these organizations.
My apologies, Brother, I didn't mean to imply you were knocking them. :) I only hope to be able to gain those titles over time. We all joke about them but they do show a great degree of accomplishment and devotion to the Craft. I hear you for sure on the 'not showing up' part. I know some 32d degree AASR Masons that went one weekend, received the 29 degrees and never showed up again. They pay their dues and walk around with, to non-masons, a 'high' degree title such as the 32nd degree. Odds are, they couldn't even tell you the title of the 32nd degree lol.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
My apologies, Brother, I didn't mean to imply you were knocking them.
No apology necessary Brother. I didn't think that you were being critical. I was agreeing with your point of view.
I hear you for sure on the 'not showing up' part. I know some 32d degree AASR Masons that went one weekend, received the 29 degrees and never showed up again. They pay their dues and walk around with, to non-masons, a 'high' degree title such as the 32nd degree. Odds are, they couldn't even tell you the title of the 32nd degree lol.
These are the ones that I term "Title Hunters". This is just MHO. How much someone elects to participate in something is up to them.

vinceatwork

To Mark Petro – Re: “The Past Bastard.”

I find it sad, very sad, debasing the Institution and its original ideals and purpose. Many among us are indeed just "Title Hunters."

Mark, as you may be at the beginning your Masonic journey, I suggest you read what an exceptional brother wrote over 200 years ago about the sanctity and nobility of the title “brother”:

http://www.freemasonryresearchforumqsa.com/krause/spiritualization-of-name-brother.php

Anything else is empty vanity.

Pointwithinacircle3

To Mark Petro – Re: “The Past Bastard.”

I find it sad, very sad, debasing the Institution and its original ideals and purpose. Many among us are indeed just "Title Hunters."

Mark, as you may be at the beginning your Masonic journey, I suggest you read what an exceptional brother wrote over 200 years ago about the sanctity and nobility of the title “brother”:

http://www.freemasonryresearchforumqsa.com/krause/spiritualization-of-name-brother.php

Anything else is empty vanity.
Krause is one of four prominent Masons whose views on Freemasonry are discussed in one of my favorite books "Lectures on the Philosophy of Freemasonry" by Roscoe Pound. I consider it a must read for anyone who truly wants to understand the Craft.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Krause is one of four prominent Masons whose views on Freemasonry are discussed in one of my favorite books "Lectures on the Philosophy of Freemasonry" by Roscoe Pound. I consider it a must read for anyone who truly wants to understand the Craft.
Very good and thoughtful articles!

Matt L

Site Benefactor
The only title around my house that pulls any weight is "Grand Empress of the Universe". As soon as I walked in the house after my Order of the Temple, the wife asked me "how did it go", I said "you can call me Sir Knight Matthew now", she replied, "Well, I'm the Grand Empress of the Universe, make sure the garbage gets to the curb". Blew the whole thing for me.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The only title around my house that pulls any weight is "Grand Empress of the Universe". As soon as I walked in the house after my Order of the Temple, the wife asked me "how did it go", I said "you can call me Sir Knight Matthew now", she replied, "Well, I'm the Grand Empress of the Universe, make sure the garbage gets to the curb". Blew the whole thing for me.
lol....good one!