My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why the change..?

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Please be patient. The new site has been online less than 12 hours compared to 2 years with the old one. vBulletin 4 has so much potential and offers many new features out of the box compared to the old setup. I'm glad that you enjoyed the new site, but there were others who disagree. Some of the feedback I've received included:

"the site/color scheme hurts my eyes"
"what's with the missing security tokens"
"focus on more masonry and less fluff"
"I prefer a fluid (full screen) vs fixed layout"
"i can't log in"
"i can't stay logged in"

Getting to the point, the old site just wasn't cutting it. Artakus was the theme of choice, but it wasn't designed for the version of vbulletin we were using which caused major headaches for everyone. I decided to start from scratch with a new install of vBulletin in addition to a fully VB4 compliant theme. Here are some of the factors that contributed to my decision to upgrade..

• MUST be easy to read. This is often overlooked by the younger crowd but it's an issue for our older Brethren.
  • Simplicity...simplicity...simplicity. Focus on what makes MOT successful. It's not games, but thought provoking discussions
  • Easier to read text, especially within PMs
  • Every user will have a blog....try it out!
  • Tighter integration with facebook/myspace etc

Yes there will be bugs and missing features, but I promise you it'll be worth the wait....good things are coming..

Last edited:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
In short, this vBulletin version is much more efficient, allows for greater versatility, and better forum management.

as a user, you should not notice much other than ease of use features. as an admin/moderator, there are significant changes. if you pay really close attention, you might notice that it also responds more quickly.

the theme will change, or so i've heard/hoped.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
In the WWW we must be on our toes and ready for change a t a moments notice. (insert emodican)

HKTidwell

Premium Member
While it is going to take a bit to get use to I think in the end I will like it as much if not more. Thanks to you(Blake) and the other admin/moderators hard work on the site and the time ya'll dedicate to it.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
Hmmm, that did not work... OK, Brother Blake has way too much spare time on his hands, hence all of the changes. I actually liked the Artakus best, as it was easiest for me to read. As I type this, it is way too small for my old eyes to read, without using my bifocals, and that puts my neck in a strange painful position. But, another site I am on (QRZ>COM) is in the process of changing to the new version of Vbulletin, so my time here will have me prepared for them when they put it online next month. I was hoping to be able to increase the size on my end of the typed text, but when experimenting, everything I typed disappeared into cyber-space! I do appreciate all the work Bro, Blake puts into this fine site. I also appreciate the Brethren who come here, and share, fuss, and help out.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
hold control and use the wheel on your mouse to scroll forward. it will make everything larger.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
also, if that doesn't work, hold the control key on your keyboard and hammer the "+" key.

to make it smaller, do the same with the "-" key right next to it.