Why the secrets?

Discussion in 'History and Research' started by hanzosbm, May 22, 2015.

1. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Quite so. Truth is established by authority.

Alternatively Masonry might be a science and therefore open to direct investigation by the brethren.

2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

<sigh> Yet, the question still remains...
    HUH? Truth IS! and all that is necessary to see it is realization.
    might? If it's Masonry (not Freemasonry) it is both Science AND Art.
    Masons who don't investigate, are likely only Freemasons.

3. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Coach why do you do that? You know darn well that when someone on heresy mason they mean freemason unless they say operative mason. Im familiar with your books and know you have alot of "free"masonic knowledge. However over the last few weeks I've been watching your posts and you come across like a punk that knows full well what someone is saying but wants to make them feel stupid.....if that's not your intention then know you know that at least 1 brother feels that's how u cone across

coachn and hanzosbm like this.
  4. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

Your supposition about reality is correct if reality is limited to that which can be detected with the five physical senses.

coachn likes this.
  5. JamestheJust

Oh dear. I was hoping that the GAOTU was not a rather tall human.

6. coachn

I disagree with what was put forth. It is evasive, dogmatic and misleading.

7. LAMason

LAMason Premium Member

I know we have gotten off topic, so I apologize for that.

First, let me reiterate that I am a literal person, so if someone sees metaphor and allegory in everything, they will probably not agree with my interpretation:

Second, for discussion purposes, I will state two stipulative definitions for “real” depending on the context of its usage.

1. Actually existing as a thing. (Tangible)-must be able to be sensed by one of the 5 senses by others.

2. Occurring in fact. (Genuine)-not necessarily sensed by one of the 5 senses by others.

In the context of your experience, of course it was Genuine.

In the context of what you saw it would need to be Tangible.

Since I have never had such an experience, I will have to rely on your perception of what you saw. Did you perceive it as Tangible or as a vision/hallucination/something you imagined?

Was what you saw different than the visual, auditory, or tactile hallucinations that someone on drugs, with a mental illness, or experiencing delirium tremens might experience?

8. pointwithinacircle2

I have never had
    so I cannot compare my experience to theirs. The best explanation I can give you is to say that I choose to honor my intuition equally with the evidence of the five physical senses. In Neurobiology concentrating on the information of the five senses is called focused thinking, while relaxing and letting the answers come to you is called diffused thinking. Intuition and imagination are examples of diffuse thinking. I am merely suggesting that if you only use your focused thinking you are making a choice to ignore both the way your brain naturally works and and the solutions that it is prepared to show you.

9. JamestheJust

You might be selling yourself short if you believe you only have 5 senses.

I like to think that I have:

- a sense of direction
    - a sense of justice
    - a sense of proportion
    - a sense of place
    - a sense of freedom
    - a sense of purpose.

Oh and perhaps I can smell a lie.

10. JamestheJust

oops - duplicate

11. JamestheJust

more oops

12. LAMason

LAMason Premium Member

I reject your strawman argument. I did not say that intuition and imagination should be ignored.

I may imagine that I am in a boat riding down a river or I may actually be in a boat riding down a river, but I know difference. I also did not say that intuition or emotions are suspect or unimportant because they can not be felt with the 5 senses but I know when I a using or feeling them.

13. pointwithinacircle2

Perhaps I was not clear, my post was a description of an experience of total intuition, a moment where my intuition was so total that it momentarily overrode the inputs of my physical senses. Is this a description of what you believe is not possible?

14. coachn

The five senses use biological inputs that are processed internally.

The moment you use the phrase "a sense of", you are using metaphor to describe an internal condition.

BTW - I would add to your list: A Sense of Humor ;-)

dalinkou likes this.
  15. JamestheJust

Although with the smelling of a story and of a lie there is often later evidence to support that sense so I am not sure your statement rings true.

16. coachn

LOL! I feel ya!

dalinkou likes this.
  17. GKA

GKA Premium Member

I think there is some confusion here, some of what you ask is related to our ritual and as a mason, you should know this. some of this is not and never was part of any Masonic ritual or practice. If you listen to all that is presented to you, you will understand and come to see that there is no hidden secret in anything that we do. That which we choose to keep secret is only that of which our oaths refer, there is nothing more to it.

18. JamestheJust

I recall an elderly Mason telling me that one time at the JW pedestal he was handed the working tools and he said that the energy charge they carried nearly knocked him off his feet.

19. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Makes sense.
    Same here.
    Very good!

20. Ben_Zanaatkar

Ben_Zanaatkar Banned

Why EA cannot attend MM meetings?

Share My Freemasonry