My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiccan Masons

How many people here are wiccan?

• I am

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I am not

Votes: 82 92.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSG_Morrison

From what I understand Wiccans believe in multiple gods and or goddesses. Similar to Pegans. Masons believe that there is one God. Am I correct?

Last edited:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Pecans? I believe you mean "pagans?"

However, to answer your question, masons must believe in a higher power. We do not specify which.

edit: also added a poll to the thread so you could see some actual responses.

Payne

Wicca (pronounced [ˈwɪkə]) is a neopagan, nature-based religion. It was popularised in 1954 by Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant, who at the time called it a "Witch cult" and "Witchcraft", and its adherents "the Wica".

Wiccans, as followers of Wicca are now commonly known, typically worship a Goddess (traditionally the Triple Goddess) and a God (traditionally the Horned God), who are sometimes represented as being a part of a greater pantheistic Godhead, and as manifesting themselves as various polytheistic deities. Other characteristics of Wicca include the ritual use of magic, a basic code of morality, and the celebration of eight seasonally based festivals.

There is dispute as to what actually constitutes Wicca. Initially, this spelling may have referred to the lineage of one of Gardner's rivals, Charles Cardell, although from the 1960s it referred only to lineages stemming from Gardner and operating as initiatory Mystery Priesthoods (such as Gardnerian and Alexandrian Wicca). These are now collectively known in North America as British Traditional Wicca. A third usage, which has grown in popularity in recent years, considers Wicca to include other forms of Goddess-oriented neopagan witchcraft that are similar to but independent of that lineage, including Dianic Wicca and the 1734 Tradition; these are sometimes collectively termed Eclectic Wicca.

Pagan or Neopaganism or Neo-Paganism is an umbrella term used to identify a wide variety of modern religious movements, particularly those influenced by pre-Christian pagan beliefs of Europe.

Neo-Pagan religious movements are extremely diverse, with beliefs that range widely from polytheism to animism, to pantheism and other paradigms. Many Neopagans practise a spirituality that is entirely modern in origin, while others attempt to accurately reconstruct or revive indigenous, ethnic religions as found in historical and folkloric sources.

Neopaganism is a postmodern development in the industrialized countries, found in particular strength in the United States and Britain, but also in Continental Europe (German-speaking Europe, Scandinavia, Slavic Europe, Latin Europe and elsewhere).

The largest Neopagan movement is Wicca, though other significantly sized Neopagan faiths include Neo-druidism, Germanic Neopaganism, and Slavic Neopaganism.

And as JTM said:

However, to answer your question, masons must believe in a higher power. We do not specify which.

TCShelton to answer your question, I ask because I am curious

dhouseholder

I am very eager to hear everyone chime in on this.

While I am not Wiccan, I hold some pretty "non-traditional" beliefs that some theologians might identify as non-Abrahamic.

I feel that a neo-pagan, or specifically Wiccan, brother must have faith in a Supreme Being, full stop.

If that Supreme Being is represented by the God/Goddess duality, or the Triple Moon Goddess trinity, or whatever, then so be it. So long as they can do that, without mental reservation or equivocation. I have never been asked nor will I ever ask anyone to define Deity.

I had struggled with that exact issue for years before my three knocks and I reached my own theological conclusion that made my answer "In God".

I think that whomever can answer our Petition answers in full Good Faith, is properly vouched for, and so on, is welcomed.

I also think that our beliefs aren't something one should be out flouting around town either. We live in a society where a good number of the population still believes we are a cult. If you do identify with a religion that is different from the local norm, keep it to yourself; we do not need to give them any more fuel for the fire!

My question is why does this thread start off with a thumbs down icon?

Last edited:

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Well said, Bro. dhouseholder. I agree with you 100%.

I'm curious as to the "thumbs down" as well.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
There are those who through ignorance will always ridicule just as people do with large groups.
I do not consider myself wiccan nor any religion exclusively but I am closer than most. I was taught from a young age the power in some of the traditions which have become known to the Wiccian religion; wands, crystals, stones and others.

Kemis

While I am not Wiccan, I hold some pretty "non-traditional" beliefs that some theologians might identify as non-Abrahamic.
I had struggled with that exact issue for years before my three knocks and I reached my own theological conclusion that made my answer "In God".

I think that whomever can answer our Petition answers in full Good Faith, is properly vouched for, and so on, is welcomed.

I loved this entire post, but more especially "I had struggled with that exact issue for years before my three knocks and I reached my own theological conclusion that made my answer "In God". "

I departed my religious thoughts from the "norm" a long time ago & it wasn't until a few months before my three knocks that it finally dawned on me that my answer could truly be "In God", too.

I also agree that one of the beauties of Freemasonry is that so long as you can truthfully answer all the petition questions favorably, that you're welcome in the Lodge. Furthermore, I also find it beautiful that Masonry accepts all religions and typically discourages discussions on the topic at the Lodge. I think this combination is a part of what has kept Masonry so successful over the centuries.

Matt

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
I departed my religious thoughts from the "norm" a long time ago & it wasn't until a few months before my three knocks that it finally dawned on me that my answer could truly be "In God", too.

Nice, Matt. Good post.

Payne

Well I'd like to thank you guys for your thought on this question as well as being open minded. I was just curious to see how many of you where of like mind in the religion area.

Anson575

A brother who flies for a major airline told me of a Lodge he visited in Oregon where they had a Bible, a Quran, a Torah and "The Book of Joe" (can't remember the exact name) on the Altar. A member of the Lodge had written his own religious manifesto and that was good enough for the Brothers of that Lodge. It is my understanding that other than being a bit 'Oregon odd' Joe was a great guy and a great asset to the Lodge. More power to them I say!

apostlepoll

Freemasonry requires belief in a Monotheistic God. At least it used to. Hindus were at one time excluded from Freemasonry because of the belief in multiple Gods until it was decided that these "deities" actually represent the several aspects of the same God.

Status
Not open for further replies.