My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will You have a Masonic Funeral?

Will You Have a MAsonic Funeral?

• Yes

Votes: 88 59.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Both My Religion and Masonic burial

Votes: 52 35.1%

• Total voters

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
It would be an honor to have a masonic burial, I just hope that my family & my brothers will make it happen

My brother, there is a form that you can fill out and have placed in your Masonic File. At your death it should be located and a graveside or memorial service should be performed at your request.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
I participated in my first Masonic Funeral and Brothers, that is a pretty sureal feeling standing at the head of the casket of a Brother past, giving him his last rites. I cannot exspress the feeling I can only highly recomend you participate in one, it is a all inspiring honor.

I help lay to rest a PM of Ft Worth 148 and a Fireman,
Brother James Noah.

MY brother I have been a Master Mason since March of 1977, and I have conducted so many Masonic Graveside or Memorial services that I can't actually count them. I assure you, I will have a Masonic Service if at all possible.

Jay

Yep, And with any luck a real BIG S&C on my headstone with my name spelld right!

Last edited:

Timothy Fleischer

To have a Masonic funeral, you must let your family and your Lodge know ahead of time.
I have a wonderful booklet that I downloaded from the Texas Grand Lodge website about Masonic funerals, a pre-planning booklet.
If any of you brothers are interested in it, contact me or find it at the GL website.
Tim

MasonicTexan

I would and I know my family support me.
My grandfather did not though. Excluding my immediate family, there were several members of the family who did not want this and were almost upset by the idea.
From what I heard there were not good exchanges between his family and The Lodge.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Both. I've gone so far as to look up and get a conformation from a mason who is also a pastor. Now, I just gotta make sure he outlives me.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
My grandfather did not though. Excluding my immediate family, there were several members of the family who did not want this and were almost upset by the idea.
From what I heard there were not good exchanges between his family and The Lodge.

That's ashame the family couldn't work things out with the Lodge. Was it your grandfather's wish? If it was, then his family should honor and respect his wish to be buried as a Mason. But, the Lodge is also supposed to give way to the family's wishes as well. That's why I think it is important that we as Mason discuss with our families our wishes and why. Personally, I think burying a Mason without his Lodge giving tribute is like burying a verteran without military honors. Both are done in honor of the person's service in an organization bigger then themselves the were proud to be a part.

Kiltedmapleleaf

Premium Member
I witnessed my first masonic funeral before I became a mason, and although it didn't have a direct influence on me becoming a mason,( i had already decided I wanted to become one), it certainly gave me food for thought.
Since becoming a mason i have taken part in 2 masonic funerals and both times the family of our departed brothers where very thankful that we had taken time to be with them during there time of grief.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I have seen a couple Masonic Funerals before becoming a Mason myself. This Friday, I will be taking part in my first for one of my Lodge Brothers, William Walker. He was 88 years old, and he had just over 40 years of service to the fraternity. In fact, he was going to be receiving hsi 40 year pin at our awards night this year.

Bro. Bennett

Premium Member
I have witnessed several really nice Masonic Funeral Ceremonies. I want one when I go to the Great Lodge in the Sky.
How many of you Brothers know how to pre-plan for your funeral? I being in the business see it all the time; A family comes in thinking mom or dad have their service all planned and paid for to find out, all they have done is give the funeral home their life information, and nothing is planned or paid for. Pre-planning and especially pre-paying for a service kind of locks it in so there is little doubt to your desires. Think of this as a way of putting onto paper and into a contract that should be honored as your wishes, and include the Masonic service if this is your choice.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have conducted well over a couple of hundred Masonic Burial Services in the last 34 Years and I certainly hope to have a Masonic Memorial when it is my time to travel on to be with the Supreme Grand Master . My one fear is that there will not be anyone left who can perform the service for me. I have not seen many of the younger brothers learning the service and this does bother me because, the Last Rites are a Duty that we owe to each Brother in this great Fraternity. There is nothing more upsetting to me then to go to a Masonic Burial Service, and hear someone reading the words out of a monitor. As for plans, the Grand Lodge of Texas has a form for every Brother to fill out and request a Burial Service , this form should be in every Masons perminant file.

I have witnessed several really nice Masonic Funeral Ceremonies. I want one when I go to the Great Lodge in the Sky.
How many of you Brothers know how to pre-plan for your funeral? I being in the business see it all the time; A family comes in thinking mom or dad have their service all planned and paid for to find out, all they have done is give the funeral home their life information, and nothing is planned or paid for. Pre-planning and especially pre-paying for a service kind of locks it in so there is little doubt to your desires. Think of this as a way of putting onto paper and into a contract that should be honored as your wishes, and include the Masonic service if this is your choice.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Those are good points Brother Gerald. They should weigh heavy on our younger brothers' thoughts in years to come.

cemab4y

Premium Member
I have requested that my family will request the local lodge to have the Beautiful Rites (Masonic Funeral). I have requested to be an organ donor. My last remains will be cremated.

AlzafarTempleShriner

I have asked my sister to make sure that when my time comes that I am given a Masonic Funeral service. My Great-Uncle received one in April 1984 from Blazing Star Lodge #413 in Marble Falls, Texas. I was very impressed & wanted even more to petition for admission. Unfortunately, being 90 miles away in San Antonio, it wasn't until 2007 when I petitioned Cibolo Lodge #151, where I was raised on January 26, 2008.

MikeMay

Premium Member
Although I don't plan on checking out anytime soon, I would like to have both.

I have to agree, I don't plan on "checking-out" any time soon either! Both would be good, but since I'm not going to be here, I'll let my family do what they will... :001_cool:

Ashlar

Mine will be a long evening , I will be having an OES , SR and Masonic funeral which is all done at the funeral home . I will have a military funeral at the graveside .