My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wings up vs. wings down

David Hill

I've noticed images of the double-headed eagle with its wings up and with its wings down. Can anyone shed some light on the symbolic differences for me?

crono782

Premium Member
In my readings and study of the SR monitor, M&D, etc i haven't come across an explanation of a wings up DH eagle. As far as I know SJ does not use any variation on it (explaining the lack of any explanation). NMJ uses wings down. As far as I can tell, wings up is used by PHA SR. Perhaps it has a symbolic meaning, but it could just be to differentiate.

Freemason Connect Mobile

crono782

Premium Member
Interesting. The NMJ caps I've seen are wings down also. PHA SJ also wings down. PHA NJ is the only one ive seen up. Although I haven't seen a whole lot of em.

Freemason Connect Mobile

crono782

Premium Member
That's cool. I like both designs. Would be nice if there was a clear explanation if one exists.

Freemason Connect Mobile

timd24

Premium Member
According to the NMJ Constitution (2009)
In the description of 33° Active and Active Emeritus caps (art. 1219.1) and lapel buttons (art. 1216), the double-headed eagle is described as "a double-headed eagle, wings extended and pointing up." For the cap (art. 1219.2) and label button (art. 1217) of a 33° Honorary Member, the eagle is described as a "double-headed eagle, wings extended and pointing down," and for 32° lapel buttons (art. 1218.1) the eagle is described as a "double-headed eagle of gold, wings extended and pointing down."

I read this as 33 up 32 down

MarkR

Premium Member
According to the NMJ Constitution (2009)
In the description of 33° Active and Active Emeritus caps (art. 1219.1) and lapel buttons (art. 1216), the double-headed eagle is described as "a double-headed eagle, wings extended and pointing up." For the cap (art. 1219.2) and label button (art. 1217) of a 33° Honorary Member, the eagle is described as a "double-headed eagle, wings extended and pointing down," and for 32° lapel buttons (art. 1218.1) the eagle is described as a "double-headed eagle of gold, wings extended and pointing down."

I read this as 33 up 32 down
That is correct. In the NMJ, the only cap with "wings up" is that of the SGIS's.

According to the SJ Supreme Council is concerned anything that is "wings up" is purely an artistic license and has no official symbolism. I am a Northern Jurisdiction, Scottish Rite 32, from the valley of Philadelphia, Pa. everything on our regalia is also "wings down" just like the southern jurisdiction. But sometimes in the NMJ "wings up" can be used only to symbolize and distinguish its 33 only.

bushwickrich

Position of the wings determine which jurisdiction, wings up identifies the northern jurisdiction and when pointed downward identifies the southern.

Bro. Rich 4*
Judah Lodge #1

MarkR

Premium Member
Position of the wings determine which jurisdiction, wings up identifies the northern jurisdiction and when pointed downward identifies the southern.

Bro. Rich 4*
Judah Lodge #1
That may be true in PHA Scottish Rite. In "mainstream" Scottish Rite, Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, the 32° cap, the MSA (red) cap, and the 33° cap all have wings down. Only the SGIG caps are wings up.

Canadian Paul

Canada uses the 'wings up', Also, we don't use 'caps' for 32nd or 33rd degree members, rather 32nd degree brethren wear a red Teutonic cross collar jewel with the number '32' on the centre suspended on a red collar while the 33rd degree brethren wear a white collar from which is suspended a gold doube-headed eagle (wings up).

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Canada uses the 'wings up', Also, we don't use 'caps' for 32nd or 33rd degree members, rather 32nd degree brethren wear a red Teutonic cross collar jewel with the number '32' on the centre suspended on a red collar while the 33rd degree brethren wear a white collar from which is suspended a gold doube-headed eagle (wings up).
So are there caps for those below 32nd degree?

Canadian Paul

So are there caps for those below 32nd degree?

No caps at all! We go at our freemasonry bare-headed here in Canada!

The 32deg or 33deg collar and jewel act as an 'apron' in any of the lower degrees. Only the officers and brethren who aren't yet 32deg masons wear aprons in the Lodge of Perfection or on the Chapter of Rose Croix. (Only 3 bodies in Canada)

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
No caps at all! We go at our freemasonry bare-headed here in Canada!

The 32deg or 33deg collar and jewel act as an 'apron' in any of the lower degrees. Only the officers and brethren who aren't yet 32deg masons wear aprons in the Lodge of Perfection or on the Chapter of Rose Croix. (Only 3 bodies in Canada)
Cool! Thanks for the reply brother. Always like receiving new info.