My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

York Rite College

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
That's unfortunate. My Secretary keeps up pretty well with his duties, even this year as MWGM of Idaho.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Last month I was appointed as Primate (Chaplain) of my College.

I was just installed as Deputy Governor (Sr. Warden) for Texian York Rite College No. 60; we do one major event every year and I've already started planning for the one that falls in my year.... going to be very busy! Good luck to you in your year as Primate!

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
I was just installed as Deputy Governor (Sr. Warden) for Texian York Rite College No. 60; we do one major event every year and I've already started planning for the one that falls in my year.... going to be very busy! Good luck to you in your year as Primate!
We meet quarterly, but we try to do an exemplification of the 1st Degree for a local Lodge at least once a year.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
We meet quarterly, but we try to do an exemplification of the 1st Degree for a local Lodge at least once a year.

Our big event is a reception for the Masters of all the lodges in the San Antonio area (Districts 39 A, B, & C). It's one of my favorite annual Masonic events- now I get to plan the one for 2016.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Our College meets quarterly, but we are quite active. We have a skit team that travels around (upon invite) to Blue Lodges and do, in costume, an explanation of the York Rite degrees. It is even done in public for anyone interested in Masonry. We also have a third degree team that confers third degrees with the entire cast in tuxedoes. Our Gold Honor Awards banquet is a big deal every year. We pick one Mason from each county in our area to receive the award.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Our College meets quarterly, but we are quite active. We have a skit team that travels around (upon invite) to Blue Lodges and do, in costume, an explanation of the York Rite degrees. It is even done in public for anyone interested in Masonry. We also have a third degree team that confers third degrees with the entire cast in tuxedoes. Our Gold Honor Awards banquet is a big deal every year. We pick one Mason from each county in our area to receive the award.

I always hear of "the days back when" when our College was busier. I'm considering proposing an addition or two in my year. Sounds like I'd enjoy your College!

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
Our big event is a reception for the Masters of all the lodges in the San Antonio area (Districts 39 A, B, & C). It's one of my favorite annual Masonic events- now I get to plan the one for 2016.
Interesting. I may bring that up at our next meeting. We only have one college in Idaho so doing regional activities sometimes is difficult, but I'll bring it up nonetheless.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Very interesting. I have completed Chapter and Council and start the Orders in November. Perhaps one day I will be invited to join the College. Hope so.

The Traveling Man

I like the formality of YRC meetings as well as anything. It's nice to go to a meeting where suits or tuxedoes are mandated. We had a guy show up wearing shorts to this month's Blue Lodge stated meeting. I attended a Master Mason degree at another lodge where the candidate was wearing a flannel shirt with the sleeves cut out. I'm not a snob, but I cringed in both incidences.

I also hate to see Brethren show up to Lodge without a suit. It's ok for our special communications, but for our regulars I think suits or tuxes, and ties, should be mandatory.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Very interesting. I have completed Chapter and Council and start the Orders in November. Perhaps one day I will be invited to join the College. Hope so.
Well, this came true. I was initiated into The YRSCNA on January 30th of this year. I feel very honored but at the same time very humbled.

Rifleman1776

I once inquired about joining but was told it was invitation only and I had forever disqualified myself by asking. One of several reasons I demited out of York Rite.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I once inquired about joining but was told it was invitation only and I had forever disqualified myself by asking. One of several reasons I demited out of York Rite.
It's the same way in the AASR concerning the red hat and white hat. They are honors to be bestowed. If you ask for it that assures that you will never receive it.

chrmc

I hear you. And I think that many of these York Rite bodies will suffer as Masonry becomes smaller. For me it's hard to see how they are anything but another dues club that gives you a card and a pin to carry.

When looking at the York Rite College's purpose I don't understand why you need a separate group to do this.

(1) To foster a spirit of cooperation an coordination among each of the Bodies of York Rite Masonry.
(2) To assist in worthy efforts to improve the ritualistic and dramatic presentation of York Rite work.
(3) To conduct an education program in order to inculcate a greater appreciation of the principles, ideals and programs of York Rite Masonry.
(4) To strengthen York Rite Masonry in every possible manner.
(5) To build up a love of country and to aid and support genuine Americanism.
(6) To reward outstanding service to York Rite Masonry by awards, honors and other methods of proper recognition.
(7) To support Charitable and Benevolent Endeavors of Freemasonry.

Rifleman1776

It's the same way in the AASR concerning the red hat and white hat. They are honors to be bestowed. If you ask for it that assures that you will never receive it.

In short, I think that stinks. To disqualify someone because they show an interest in improving themselves in Masonry is wrong. As I said, it is one of the reasons I got out of York Rite. I'll give another example. My Commandary was 150 from my home. Except for the initiation, I had never attended a Commandary meeting. One day, I was in that town and was happy to have a chance to attend my Commandanry meeting. I called first to check the time. I was told I could attend only if I wore full regalia. I had not regalia and, in fact, had never seen full regalia. It steamed me to think I, a member, was to be denied attendance for this reason. No wonder our craft is shrinking.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
In short, I think that stinks.
To each his own. I, myself, love the York Rite and very much enjoy the interaction at meetings and the fellowship.Those that feel different about it move on, as you did. Those of us that love it, like me, stay.
And I think that many of these York Rite bodies will suffer as Masonry becomes smaller.
I don't know about other Chapters, Councils, KTs or Colleges but mine are going strong and I get a lot out of it.

chrmc

This is why you are free to join or not join.

Totally get that, but that's not really an answer that adds much to the debate. When we look at Masonry, and for instance the York Rite College in a bigger perspective I have a hard time seeing that being an organization that thrives. But would love to hear reasons otherwise.
And to be fair, you're not really free to join when it's invitational, but that's another debate...

I essentially cannot see that it's an organization that offers anything other than some nominal exclusivity, a dues card and maybe some titles in exchange for money. It doesn't confer degrees, it still the same people you hang around as all the other Masonic activities that you also do.
What does a group like this otherwise offer to the fraternal or esoteric experience of Masonry? And how come that couldn't like under the normal York Rite bodies.

The point I'm trying to make is that as we get less members, it could likely be healthy for many groups to see if they are still viable in the long run. Do we want 3 YR groups that are doing great or 8 that is struggling? In mainly the US we've in general seen many invitational groups being created throughout the years compared to the rest of the world. But are there a future for them?