My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

York Rite or Scottish Rite or both?

masonicdove

Greetings Brethren,

I know this question has been probably asked before, but which one did you choose to go first and why, York or Scottish Rite? I am a newly passed FC and as I study for my proficiency, this is question popped into my mind?

Thanks,
MasonicDove aka J

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Focus on the lessons of the Fellowcraft, Brother. You have your whole life to consider the appendant bodies.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
I waited 2-years after being Raised before joining another group. I first joined the York Rite as I was fascinated by the Royal Arch and how it completes the story of Craft Masonry. I was also interested in joining the Templars as I was a Christian. I would later gain a great deal of admiration for the Cryptic degrees as I studied them further and saw how they complimented the story told in Craft Masonry. I have greatly enjoyed my time in the York Rite and the degree work performed in it. I've also joined other invitational group within the York Rite and enjoyed them as well. I finally joined the Scottish Rite and enjoy the lessons taught, but my heart is in the York Rite.

KyPastMaster

I would like to echo Ksig's post , I first went into the YR and love it , exactly as KSig explained . Later I went into the SR , I enjoyed the lessons taught but really was not so impressed by it that I wanted to remain a member so I ultimately demitted . Honestly I received what I needed from the SR during the reunion , I had the opportunity to view the degrees , I was given my copies of "A Bridge to Light & Morals and Dogma" so I did not see the need to continue paying dues yearly .

Just trying to honest .

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Greetings Brethren,

I know this question has been probably asked before, but which one did you choose to go first and why, York or Scottish Rite? I am a newly passed FC and as I study for my proficiency, this is question popped into my mind?

First, take as long as you like or need to take another step in your masonic journey- if you rush yourself you will not appreciate the work of the other bodies nearly as much as if you take that step when you decide the time is right.

Second, I joined both SR and YR. The Scottish Rite has beautiful degrees and portray "the story" in a different style and form. In Texas, the York Rite continues the lessons begun in the blue lodge degrees and fills in "the story" in the same style and form from the blue lodge. I found my passion lies in the York Rite because of the continuation of "the story" and its relationship to my blue lodge work.

S&F
BroBill