My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Attributes to your lodge

Bro. Staton

Many times you have heard or will hear about the work in you put into Masonry and within your lodge. My question is at what point did you start investing into the craft and the well being of your lodge? Many tend to wait until they are in officer positions or when it's close to them getting to the East. Please share your experience

dfreybur

Premium Member
Once I handed in my position I started showing up and helping out in the kitchen while the members were upstairs in the members-only section of the meeting. I didn't tend to think of that in terms of the work I put into Masonry as I had not yet heard the expression "You get out of Masonry what you put into it". Over time how I contributed evolved.

I rarely think in terms of my benefits. They seem incidental to my willingness to be of service to my fellow creature, to my pleasure at the good company and the shared activity, etc.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
As for me, right after I turned in my MM catechism my Brethren started teaching me the floorwork of opening & closing the Lodge. Right after that I was put into the line, as our Lodge was very short-handed. Our Secretary at that time had his hands full caring for his wife, who had Alzheimer's, so I offered to learn his job to help him get things done. After I finished my year in the East, he decided to retire and the Lodge elected me Secretary. Except for a 6 month "vacation", I've been there ever since.

Bro. Staton

Much like the responses on here I too went straight to work in helping out with the lodge. The WM appointed me as Senior Deacon a month or so after I was raised. However, the older mason see the drive in me and the unselfness I display to make things better for the lodge and the craft. As soon as I was raised I asked my instructor if I could help assist in the classes if nothing else just sit and learn more of each degree. I have truly enjoyed my journey thus far in my walk for my light. Thanks guys for sharing your input...

Bro. Staton

As for me, right after I turned in my MM catechism my Brethren started teaching me the floorwork of opening & closing the Lodge. Right after that I was put into the line, as our Lodge was very short-handed. Our Secretary at that time had his hands full caring for his wife, who had Alzheimer's, so I offered to learn his job to help him get things done. After I finished my year in the East, he decided to retire and the Lodge elected me Secretary. Except for a 6 month "vacation", I've been there ever since.
So how long have you been the secretary if I may ask??

Bro. Staton

Once I handed in my position I started showing up and helping out in the kitchen while the members were upstairs in the members-only section of the meeting. I didn't tend to think of that in terms of the work I put into Masonry as I had not yet heard the expression "You get out of Masonry what you put into it". Over time how I contributed evolved.

I rarely think in terms of my benefits. They seem incidental to my willingness to be of service to my fellow creature, to my pleasure at the good company and the shared activity, etc.
I believe it's best to put it like you stated "Rarely think in terms of my benefits" think of what is best for the craft and the lodge. Always think of how you can be of service to your fellow brethren.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I wound up finding myself at rehearsals before I was an officer. It kind of grew for me from there.

I practice the degree examinations, mentor new brothers and examine them in open lodge.

I'm now a Marshal and soon to be senior steward.

I help when I can without putting Masonry in front of my family.