YR Degrees

Discussion in 'The York Rite' started by Mel Knight, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mel Knight

Mel Knight Registered User

I would like to know if there are any brothers in here that went through all the YR degrees in one day? what's your respectful opinion in regards to receiving all in one day.

2. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

In one day?

3. skas

skas Premium Member

I went through all of the Chapter in one day, and if I could do it again, I'd spread them out. MMM and RA are fantastic. That said, I can't imagine how you'd do all of the YR degrees in one day.

4. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

I went through the degrees and orders in a one day festival (this is the YR term for it at least in the USA). It's a long long day with way to much information. Some of the degrees are stressed more than others with the MMM, RA, and OotT being the big three. I would have rather went through the degrees at a slower pace.

5. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

I did all the YR degrees I one day. I wouldn't recommend it.

6. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

If sitting as an audience to the ritual is sufficient, perhaps just watching a DVD and agreeing to the obligations would work too.

7. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Wow.

8. Mel Knight

I may attend a York Rite festival but I have to assume that it would be over whelming.

9. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I did all four Royal Arch degrees in one day and couldn't have absorbed another, more or less six more. Each body was given a separate day to confer.

10. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

Our York Rite festivals are a two-day event. On the first Saturday, we start at 8 a.m., confer the MM, PM, and MEM degrees then break for lunch. We confer the Royal Arch, take another short break then confer the two Council degrees. On the second Saturday, we start at noon and confer the three Commandery orders. In the fall, we also confer the Super Excellent Master degree at the very end.

Mel Knight likes this.
  11. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

I know that I may be the minority, but I would highly suggest to take them as individual degrees if at all possible. Personally I believe you'll get a better experience, and you'll certainly have more time to digest the different teachings and meanings behind them.
    I've never understood why we are in such a rush to get through the degrees. I don't think that aids us in our quest to become a better man.

Brother JC and Zack like this.
  12. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

I will point out that in many cases, the degrees are conferred in festivals because getting the number of required capable people together together is in itself a challenge. It takes some work. Unlike Blue Lodge degrees, you can't just say, "OK, we're going to set a Royal Arch degree (or any of the Commandery orders) next Tuesday night."

Warrior1256 likes this.
  13. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

I fully understand and respect that. But the question still comes up on what the important thing is with giving a candidate a degree. By bundling them with as many as we often see, it's very clearly that understanding the deeper symbology and having a growth process between the degrees isn't the focus.

14. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Having the candidates observe a play implies that being the focus of the ritual initiation has little value in facilitatig inner changes in the candidate. In many cases this may be true, but I have seen a few where the candidate was changed in some way by the ritual.

goomba likes this.
  15. Mel Knight

Knowing that I will attend a festival and receive all degrees on one Saturday, I feel that it's my responsibility now to start my YR journey. I purchased The Book of Chapter by Albert Mackey.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  16. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I took all of the degrees in the AASR in a two day Reunion (approx. 12 hrs.) so I know about information overload. It took me 8 months to go through the degrees of the York Rite and I am glad that I did it this way.

17. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

I started my HRAM degrees back in September MM October VPM November MEM and in January I will be exalted to RAM I'm pretty use to walking now as I did EA in January FC in May and MM in September last year but each situation is different for each individual

18. Warrior1256

I did not get this one on my York Rite journey. As soon as it is presented in my area I am going to attend.

19. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

I know that many degrees can only be arranged at big events because of the preparations, but for the candidate there is still no rush. If you have a festival or convention 1-2 times a year the candidate can take one or maybe two degrees per event. Sure, It might take a few years to walk through the system, but if the aim is to change yourself, it will still be something you work with our entire life. Right?

20. Warrior1256

True! I am already active in Chapter, Council, and Knights Templar. I have participated in the rituals for new members that I just went through myself. The more you see, the more you do, the more you learn.

appzdude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share My Freemasonry