YR Degrees

Discussion in 'The York Rite' started by Mel Knight, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

@J.D. "York Rite" is an American invention, so "old school" is subjective. In UGLE, HRA Chapters are part of the Grand Lodge and highly recommended to the Brethren.
    If the requirements you've mentioned are true, it appears to be WV specific. Too bad for the Brethren who desire to lead but have no desire to join York Rite.

Bloke and Ripcord22A like this.
  2. J.D.

J.D. Registered User

Heard it in OES. Masonry is founded on the building of the temple of God. Which in that part of the world, was and is Yaweh. Just an observation. Which amulet is it talking about? What book is that?

3. J.D.

J.D. Registered User

Interesting. I understand the first king of England instituted the first York Rite something in 500 and something. I can't remember if that was in the video on the RAM site or what. But it was in there somewhere.

4. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

It was talking about amulets in general the book is masonry defined vol.1

J.D. likes this.
  5. J.D.

J.D. Registered User

Yeah man I don't know. I think it's this way in a lot places, just isn't told to others to keep them held back or something. Not sure. I have a long Sat. ahead of me and getting up at like 4am to go :s

Warrior1256 likes this.
  6. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Congratulations Brother. I'm sure that you will have a great time. Once you have taken them you will be able to see them from the side lines each time that a new member is taken in in the traditional way. I entered the AASR during a two day reunion and this is the way that I am learning the individual degrees.

7. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

My apologies how rude of me not to congratulate you a big fat CONGRATULATIONS from me to you on the journey in which you are about to undertake

8. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

No its not like that in alot of places...in the 3 jurisdictions that im familar with there is no requirement other then maybe having to turn in a MM profeciency

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

You have a PM degree in your lodge?

You've been misinformed about the distinction between initials. My mother GL has been both.

10. Glen Cook

I don't want you to feel we are ganging up on you. You've surprised us.

Do you have a code section to cite? Is this maybe an informal lodge requirement?

I would note that the HRA Grand Scribe does not speak for GL (I'm G Chapter Treasurer for my jurisdiction, so I'm not picking on grand officers. At least not at the moment. :)

Thanks for being a good sport about our inquiries.

Blake Bowden, Bloke and Ripcord22A like this.
  11. Glen Cook

HRA is administered out of Great Queen Street and with the same presiding officer, but Chapters aren't part of grand lodge. We have Supreme Grand Chapter and Provincial Grand Chapters and different (lesser) officers. Chapter is so highly recommended that in my province, it is specifically noted to be an expectation for provincial advancement.

Blake Bowden likes this.
  12. Brother JC

Thanks for the clarification, Brother Glen.

13. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

King Athelstan. The assembly at York in 926 is mythical. There is no evidence that there was anything remotely resembling Freemasonry going on. While it is probable that the peculiarly American collection of degrees into the "York Rite" is called that because of the legend, it is absolutely not a direct lineal descendant of such a meeting.

SimonM, Glen Cook and Bloke like this.
  14. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

http://bessel.org/wmreqs.htm

This is a bit old but it does say the Past Master degree is required. But that it may be conducted by a Lodge or Chapter.

Glen Cook likes this.
  15. J.D.

J.D. Registered User

You think it means nothing to me. I'd say because you do not know me. If it wasn't an interest or something I cared about, I would have rolled over at this christian boys home at which I lived from 11-15 and admitted my grandparents were devil worshipers. You are treading into unforgiving territory when you go in that direction with this guy. So call me what you will, you have absolutely no knowledge of me to even begin to present an argument.

16. J.D.

J.D. Registered User

Plus, merely expressing a desire to advance will kill any chances of that? If that is the case, then to hell with all of it. Good thing it is NOT a bad thing to advance and learn, now is it?

17. J.D.

J.D. Registered User

Hey I'm not asking questions. I haven't gotten word of how my vote went yet but if that's what they tell me I am going with that, sir. I feel I should do what I have to do because it's like I am picking up where my grandparents left off. My grandpa was never a lodge master so this why I want to go York because I do not want to just be a car carrying mason but a severely active mason. Anything wrong with that? Bro GI Joe thinks there must be.

18. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Name calling really bro? Thats where you went with that? As for being active there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with it I commend you for wanting to be active all i was trying to say is that you seem to only be in it for the titles and "advance".

Who said you didnt care about freemasonry? What unforgiving territory are you talking about?

I also just wanted you to know that by saying out loud that you want to get certain degrees will forbid you from getting them. So know you know and knowing is half the battle.

I hope your vote went favorably and you enjoy ur Festival.

Bro GI Joe? Really? That's the best you could come up with? Lol

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Warrior1256 likes this.
  19. Brother JC

No one said you were asking questions @J.D. , Glen was saying you were being a good sport to deal with our questions. Nothing we've asked has been offensive, we're curious. None of us (and there are Masons here with long resumes) has ever heard of the requirement you've mentioned and we want to know more, that's all.
    Please read our questions and comments with that spirit in mind.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  20. Glen Cook

I think there may be some confusion. The "it" that doesn't matter is whether a GL F&AM or AF& AM. It really doesn't. As I noted, my mother GL has been both.

In our culture, boldly declaring you are doing something just to get an office can be problematic. That doesn't mean you shouldn't desire to serve. But I had noticed the phrase as well.

If our NM brother's comments rose to the level of unforgiving for you, then you are going to have a very tough time of it in the fraternity and, indeed, in life.

And name calling, particularly in a forum with many military in it, isn't going to engender fraternal love. Besides, there are far better terms for Army than GI Joe. :)

I recommend we leave it here with all of our best wishes for a successful convocation and exaltation.

Warrior1256 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share My Freemasonry