My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YR equivalent of 33rd degree

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
can someone tell me what the highest rank in the YR is? What I mean is that in order to be a member of the AASR supreme council you must be a 33rd degree, in order to be member of the Grand Encampment KT and Chapter and Council equivalent what rank must you hold?

chrmc

can someone tell me what the highest rank in the YR is? What I mean is that in order to be a member of the AASR supreme council you must be a 33rd degree, in order to be member of the Grand Encampment KT and Chapter and Council equivalent what rank must you hold?

You are trying to compare two organizations that are not the same, so as such there isn't an equivalent. If you look at the 33rd degree as an honorary degree due to long service, then we can start comparing.

I'm not a York Rite expert, but believe that in order to become member of the Grand Encampment etc. you just simply have to run for it. Just like you would for your Grand Lodge line. And remember that the Grand Encampment doesn't control the Chapter and Council. They are separate organizations.

Last edited:

chrmc

A very quick Google search brought up their statues which states
http://www.knightstemplar.org/csd.pdf

OFFICERS Section 19. The Officers of the Grand Encampment shall be: A Grand Master, A Deputy Grand Master, A Grand Generalissimo, A Grand Captain General, A Department Commander for each department into which Grand Commanderies and Subordinate Commanderies may be grouped, A Grand Senior Warden, A Grand Junior Warden, A Grand Prelate, A Grand Treasurer, A Grand Recorder, A Grand Standard Bearer, A Grand Sword Bearer, A Grand Warder, A Grand Captain of the Guard,

The first four of whom and the Grand Treasurer and the Grand Recorder shall be elected and installed.

The Department Commanders and a Grand Prelate shall be appointed by the Grand Master and shall be installed. The remaining officers shall be appointed by the Grand Master and shall not be installed. (1964, p. 6 & 334 - 338)

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Scottish Rite is an actual rite and a single entity overseen by its leadership. York Rite is an amalgamation of three groups with three grand bodies that have no power over the other bodies.
Apples and pomegranates, my friend.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Scottish Rite is an actual rite and a single entity overseen by its leadership. York Rite is an amalgamation of three groups with three grand bodies that have no power over the other bodies.
Apples and pomegranates, my friend.
I understand that brother.
, I understand that you can stop when ever you want but cant start wherever you want. my thought process was that since you have to go through council and chapter first that KT must be considered higher, I was wondering if there is a rank or decoration within any of the 3 national bodies that is equal to a 33rd in stature if not actually equal to....

chrmc

I understand that brother.
, I understand that you can stop when ever you want but cant start wherever you want. my thought process was that since you have to go through council and chapter first that KT must be considered higher, I was wondering if there is a rank or decoration within any of the 3 national bodies that is equal to a 33rd in stature if not actually equal to....

The issue is that your question isn't really clear. Initially you ask if there is a rank one must hold in order to be a member of the Grand Encampment. Which there clearly isn't as those positions are elected. We can start talking about qualifications that you most likely must have, but not a rank.

If you look at the 33rd degree being a honorary degree and comparing that to marks of distinction in the YR then it's not really the same either. The KT doesn't have an honorary rank (as far as I know), but there are a number of appendant bodies you can/may be invited to based on merit.
KT itself has as number of honors http://www.knightstemplar.org/KnightTemplar/articles/20140828.htm that can be awarded, but I compare them more to the Grand Cross within the SR, not really the 33rd degree.

Again it is two very different organizations that aren't really comparable. But to answer your direct question. No, there isn't a rank or decoration that is similar to 33rd.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
The issue is that your question isn't really clear. Initially you ask if there is a rank one must hold in order to be a member of the Grand Encampment. Which there clearly isn't as those positions are elected. We can start talking about qualifications that you most likely must have, but not a rank..

I apologize for this, the reason my original question was worded that way is because I assumed that there was.

If you look at the 33rd degree being a honorary degree and comparing that to marks of distinction in the YR then it's not really the same either. The KT doesn't have an honorary rank (as far as I know), but there are a number of appendant bodies you can/may be invited to based on merit.
KT itself has as number of honors http://www.knightstemplar.org/KnightTemplar/articles/20140828.htm that can be awarded, but I compare them more to the Grand Cross within the SR, not really the 33rd degree.

See and with the Grand Cross you have to be a 33rd to get that, this is where my confusion came from. I assumed that like the SR you had to hit certain prereqs to either hold office or receive certain awards. Having done more research I realize that is not true and that the YR seems to be about who ya know as much as what you've done. I noticed within the AMD any brother can be recommended for almost all of their "awards and honors"

Again it is two very different organizations that aren't really comparable. But to answer your direct question. No, there isn't a rank or decoration that is similar to 33rd.
Thank you!

I came up with this question when preparing a presentation for my lodge on lesser known masonic bodies and was preparing my notes on the Swedish Rite and their 10th deg being equivalent to the 32nd and if you were a 32 you could visit a lodge that was opening in the 10th there and that their 11th degree being equivalent to the 33rd and I was trying to see if there was an equivalent to the YR. I figured that the easiest was was to find out of there was 33rd to YR equivalent.

SimonM

I apologize for this, the reason my original question was worded that way is because I assumed that there was.

See and with the Grand Cross you have to be a 33rd to get that, this is where my confusion came from. I assumed that like the SR you had to hit certain prereqs to either hold office or receive certain awards. Having done more research I realize that is not true and that the YR seems to be about who ya know as much as what you've done. I noticed within the AMD any brother can be recommended for almost all of their "awards and honors"

Thank you!

I came up with this question when preparing a presentation for my lodge on lesser known masonic bodies and was preparing my notes on the Swedish Rite and their 10th deg being equivalent to the 32nd and if you were a 32 you could visit a lodge that was opening in the 10th there and that their 11th degree being equivalent to the 33rd and I was trying to see if there was an equivalent to the YR. I figured that the easiest was was to find out of there was 33rd to YR equivalent.
If you have your presentation written down and would like to share it I would be very interested in reading it. I have found that other views highligts portions that I take for granted and dont reflect on.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro

chrmc

If you're highlighting honors within the York Rite I'd focus on the KYCH. It's mainly earned by merit, but think it'll be one of the ones you see around and which does require a considerable body of work.
http://www.yorkrite.com/kych/info.html

Swedish Rite and their 10th deg being equivalent to the 32nd and if you were a 32 you could visit a lodge that was opening in the 10th there and that their 11th degree being equivalent to the 33rd

Just a small correction there. X degree in the Swedish Rite isn't really the same as the 32nd degree. If you're a 32nd degree you can visit up to VIII degree in the Swedish Rite. And if you're a X degree in the Swedish Rite you can visit up to 33rd. Check your Scottish Rite monitor. They have a nifty little conversion chart. Around page 143-148 or so if I remember correctly.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I just took notes off of Wikipedia and the stuff I believe it was you told me several month back. I was really surprised at just how hard it was to find info relating to ritual and lodge room set up and what not for these lesser known degrees and bodies. the blue lodge ritual here in the sates is readily available on line. it may not be exactly what is used today or by your GL but you can find the grips and words and dugards and penal signs all over the net...I couldnt find crap on these other degrees

Winter

Premium Member
Perhaps look into a membership in the Grand College of Rites. They maintain most all of the thousands of Masonic degrees. Even the clandestine ones.

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

SimonM

Just a small correction there. X degree in the Swedish Rite isn't really the same as the 32nd degree. If you're a 32nd degree you can visit up to VIII degree in the Swedish Rite. And if you're a X degree in the Swedish Rite you can visit up to 33rd. Check your Scottish Rite monitor. They have a nifty little conversion chart. Around page 143-148 or so if I remember correctly.
The conversion table is different for different jurisdictions, some have that a X can visit a 33rd, others limit X to 32nd.

chrmc

The conversion table is different for different jurisdictions, some have that a X can visit a 33rd, others limit X to 32nd.

Aye. Conversion charts are never uniform it would seem. On the 33rd degree specifically I think the lot of confusion will be around the fact that nothing ever meets in the 33rd degree (as far as I know). It's an honorary degree that is bestowed upon people, but it's not like there's a 33rd degree lodge being opened regularly - except of course if you read Dan Brown, but in that case I'm not sure they'll let you in.

I've always though that the most interesting debate regarding conversions and intervisitations comes when you look at invitational orders. So a VII degree would be able to visit the CBCS or the SRCIF for instance if you just look at it. But would these orders let them in?

SimonM

I've always though that the most interesting debate regarding conversions and intervisitations comes when you look at invitational orders. So a VII degree would be able to visit the CBCS or the SRCIF for instance if you just look at it. But would these orders let them in?
The Grand Priory of Helvetia have 3 degrees

4. Maitre Ecossais de Saint André -
5. Ecuyer-Novice
6. Chevalier Bienfaisant de la Cité Sainte

For the 4th you need at least VI,
5th at least VII
6th at least VIII

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
JD, the York requirements you mentioned aren't even standard. Some jurisdictions only require Chapter before Commandery; Council is often the bastard step-child. It is (imltho) one of the downfalls of the American Amalgamation. I would have preferred completely separate bodies, personally.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
It's an honorary degree that is bestowed upon people, but it's not like there's a 33rd degree lodge being opened regularly
Well I guess that the part of the biennial session when the 33rd and KCCH are bestowed would count as this as only KCCHs and 33rds are allowed

chrmc

The Grand Priory of Helvetia have 3 degrees

4. Maitre Ecossais de Saint André -
5. Ecuyer-Novice
6. Chevalier Bienfaisant de la Cité Sainte

For the 4th you need at least VI,
5th at least VII
6th at least VIII

Exactly. You should be able to visit. However the CBCS in the US is one of the hardest organizations to get into, and I'm not sure they'd let you into the meeting even though you technically qualify. Think that if you didn't know the right people you wouldn't get through the door...

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Exactly. You should be able to visit. However the CBCS in the US is one of the hardest organizations to get into, and I'm not sure they'd let you into the meeting even though you technically qualify. Think that if you didn't know the right people you wouldn't get through the door...
@Glen Cook maybe you can shed some light on this Brother?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I'm an officer in both Chapter and Council as well as being a Knight Templar but, for various reasons as well as those already stated, I doubt that this question can ever be answered satisfactorily..