My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 Day Chance To Advance Classes

JJones

"I'm concerned about the chance to advance classes. I'm a lifetime member in Missouri and now live in Central Michigan. With the new classes & no proficiencies being returned I wonder if a new brother really has a chance to experience the teachings & know what it means to be a mason. I don't expect everyone to be a ritualist, but if we never ask anything from a man, how can we expect anything from a man. This just feels like a path for revenue instead of a path to better the fraternity."

Indeed. Giving the secrets of Freemasonry away en mass may make a lot of members but it's not guaranteed to make many masons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bro Darren

Premium Member
I am yet to become a mason, but I am seeking to do this. I have approached the GL in Victoria Australia and look forward to the journey ahead.

I guess I have a different view as I'm the one on the outside, the one that has many reasons in becoming a mason and for me it's about being part of a close group. The "secrets" will come when they come, but knowing a secret does not make a man a mason at heart. My mission, my path is to improve me, so that I am a better man, husband and father. I can't wait to participate in the learning, mastering the knowledge and being rewarded with the degrees that come with the journey.

From the outside, I see the fraternity with so much tradition and culture and that what makes a mason a mason inside.

From the inside flows who we are and knowing a secret does not change who we are.

IMO as a brother to be :)

crono782

Premium Member
Personally I think the one day classes are completely counter to the point of the degrees. Might as well just pay for the dues card and call it a day. ;P As an aside, I also think YR shouldn't be done in festival format. If there was a practical way to not do SR reunions I'd say that's better as well. Unfortunately, it would probably take an entire year to pull it off at best.

Freemason Connect Mobile

crono782

Premium Member
First, if I am way off base and misunderstanding this post, please forgive me. It appears that the thread pertains to the practice of initiating/passing/raising in a one-day seminar. If I perceive this incorrectly, then delete this at your leisure.

On the contrary, I could not have said it better myself! Well said brother.

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
I have been through Scottish Rite classes. They work. Their controversy is no so long ago no living member experienced it but sure enough they went through the exact same process over a century ago.

*I* prefer the individual degrees, but I've already been through mine. The degrees are no longer about me. They are abut the candidates. I have seen a candidate fail to show up for his degree at lodge and then show up when he was offered a class. He then became active in lodge. In this case the class was FC/MM and he was already an EA, but the principle is the same.

If a brother wants to proceed directly to the Shrine and all we'll ever see of him is when he signs the by-laws and sends in his dues, why not speed his path to that organization?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
If there was a practical way to not do SR reunions I'd say that's better as well. Unfortunately, it would probably take an entire year to pull it off at best.
What would be wrong with that? I'd like to see one degree per month with a study session in between to discuss the lessons of the degree just witnessed. So what if it took 29 months to complete the Degrees? I think those who went through such a program would be very well grounded in Scottish Rite Freemasonry.

crono782

Premium Member
What would be wrong with that? I'd like to see one degree per month with a study session in between to discuss the lessons of the degree just witnessed. So what if it took 29 months to complete the Degrees? I think those who went through such a program would be very well grounded in Scottish Rite Freemasonry.

Nothing wrong at all. I think that would be the most ideal way in fact. I just think scheduling commitments would be a nightmare given the geographic size of some valleys.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Indeed. Giving the secrets of Freemasonry away en mass may make a lot of members but it's not guaranteed to make many masons.

Ohio was the first state to do it, one day classes have the same retention rate as Masons who individually take the degrees (~30%). Personally I think that New Mexico has the right idea and its treatment of the one day classes, they have the most judicious application process.

I am not blind to the fact that every time this comes up I don't jump up and damn one day classes. But my travels across this country have shown me that good men and good Masons are products of these classes, including some of my closest friends. I won't post again on this, but realize that these classes aren't the destruction of Freemasonry that many make them out to be.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

lourocks

One day classes are a joke they are banned here in ny that's horrible they still do that in some jurisdictions

Freemason Connect Mobile

streeter

Brothers,

First, if I am way off base and misunderstanding this post, please forgive me. It appears that the thread pertains to the practice of initiating/passing/raising in a one-day seminar. If I perceive this incorrectly, then delete this at your leisure.

To Darren (in Melbourne),

You are right to perceive that things appear different from the outside looking in. They are different than they appear. You just need to understand what you are doing, and hopefully experiences from my short time will help.

First, I have seen men go through the degrees too quickly. If you go through this too quickly, you have a high probability of being gone before your yearly dues card expires. If you even bother to renew it once, I would doubt that you will renew it twice. The reason for this is that anything that comes easy and cheap (a few hours plus some degree fees) is easily discarded when testing comes. And I can promise you that one way or the other, tests will come. If anyone thinks this untrue, please think again, because I have already witnessed the system in action. When a man sticks around and puts substance into his degree work, he lasts. When a man does not, he is scarce around the lodge. Worse, I know of one man, a good one by all observations, had his three events (degrees) within a couple of months and hit the road after the 3[SUP]rd [/SUP]was conferred. I haven’t seen him since.

Secondly, if you blaze through the degrees without active participation, you will miss the point of it. If all you do is watch, that’s even worse. If you do not even bother to learn the catechism, the important questions and ideas will not even occur to you. And again, no investment = no value, and you’re gone. You may as well join Rotary because you will probably get more for your money out of that.

Third, if you allow this to happen to you, you will succeed only in robbing yourself of the Masonic experience. There are things in the degrees that you have to experience, then witness, and then contemplate. Some of those things will profoundly affect you, but only if you are positioned to await the time with patience.

We live in a world that conditions us to seek instant gratification. You pay your fee, take your class, and get your card. The Lodge gets an income stream from the degree fees and dues cards. The problem is Masonry is not like that. It’s work. Work every time you have to address one of your bad habits, work every time you have to extend grace to your neighbor, work every time you shut your mouth when you would rather argue, and work every time you have to measure right and wrong so that you truly act as you Mason should. The secrets of Masonry are therefore, not contained within the emblems or the words, but in the work.

Think really hard before you decide what to do. Then, if any of this makes sense, experience one degree at a time, get acquainted with the idea of “traditional observanceâ€, and take your time. You are only an entered apprentice once.

hear! hear! - brilliant...

lourocks

What a response my brother greatly put savor the moment there is no rush its a lifetime commitment

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Freemasonry mobile app

LittleHunter

I agree that this would be a better way to go. When I petitioned last year I actually expected a more rigorous process. As it stands, I'm glad that I was expected to learn all 3 catechisms completely. When a man Works for something he values it more highly.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
I have not seen any of these one day classes, but, depending on the circumstances, I can see where there might be some advantage to a man taking one to become a Master Mason. I would not, myself, I don't think, want to do it that way, because I think that something that you earn by working for is more highly regarded than something that is given you, that is, most of the time. There ARE certain things that are given that cannot be earned, so don't start in on me about that. LOL.

MarkR

Premium Member
Personally I think the one day classes are completely counter to the point of the degrees. Might as well just pay for the dues card and call it a day. ;P As an aside, I also think YR shouldn't be done in festival format. If there was a practical way to not do SR reunions I'd say that's better as well. Unfortunately, it would probably take an entire year to pull it off at best.

Freemason Connect Mobile
Our current WM came via a one-day class, so they do work out. We've had very few do it that way.

As far as Scottish Rite "reunions," my Valley doesn't do reunions. We confer or communicate all 29 degrees over a ten month schedule, one night a month with a few months being twice a month.

The Minneapolis Valley is the most ambitious that I know of. The do all 29 degrees in full form twice a year by meeting every Thursday night, and then also do a reunion weekend once a year. So, they run through three classes a year, and you can choose whether to do them all in full form or do a reunion.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
One day classes are a joke they are banned here in ny that's horrible they still do that in some jurisdictions

Freemason Connect Mobile
I think it has its place. Military men for example should be eligible for ODC.

I will never ask someone if they were a ODCer though. I chose to go through the degrees on the advice of a friend who sparked my interest into the fraternity. I went through each degree with one month (28 days) in between.

Having said that, the hatred I see towards a one day class (not the man specifically though) is because it is making a mason on site. Here is the crux of it though. Masonry is about learning over your lifetime. 3 months or one day ... you still have your whole life to experience masonry if you are serious about it.

A ODC does not bestow any sacred knowledge to the candidate that undermines anyone who went through the degrees.

To me, the only difference between a ODC mason and a 90 day mason is that the 90 day mason can recite his EA OB and FC OB and both of you are learning the MM proficiency.

There is more to masonry than just reciting ritual. Both are green and learning regardless of the degree work.