My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 yr olds

fairbanks1363pm

have any of you brothers had an 18 year old join your lodge? i had a young man that goes to my school ask me for a petition.

Robert Marshall

Secretary, Waco 92
Premium Member
I'm 18 and hoping to become a Master before my birthday in June. I've wondered if I'd be the first 18 year old Master in Texas. I know we've only been able to join for a short period of time.

caeservi

we have one in our lodge; his father is a member. He should be giving his FC back any day now. So he should be raised within the next month. If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is an 18 yr old master and he already has his "A" certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RJS

Yes there is an article about him in the Winter 2008 Edition of the Texas Mason.

nick1368

we have one...matter of fact I think ours was one of the first 5 to petition after they voted to drop it to 18 and he has been a MM for at least a yr. I am indifferent on the age thing. I think some 18 year olds are immature but so are some 50 year olds. Our guy grew up in DeMolay was State Master Counselor, his dad grew up in DeMolay and joined Blue lodge when he was 21 and I think when he was WM was the youngest our lodge has had and the grandfather is a PM as well so he grew up in Lodge and makes a great addition to our Fraternity. it really comes down to your investigation committee to make the judgement call as to wether they would make a good mason.

R

ravickery03

In my limited experience the 18 year olds that join are DeMolay, I've not heard of an 18 year old, excuse the term "off the street" joining.

-Bro Vick

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I have been apart of a few degrees of Brothers under 21 some 18 and they seemed more stoked than most others I have been to.

S

skicat1898

We have a MM that came in right after his 18th birthday and he is currently sitting in the South.

I have mixed feelings about the age being dropped to 18. Of the 4 18 year olds that we have had petition only 1 has made it past FC.

Some I felt that our investigation committee should have been a bit more "investigative" on but the lodge voted favorable on them.

One of our committee members stated, "There isn't much history to investigate on a 18 yearold unless their parents come forward with negative information, and how many parents are going to do that?"

One problem is this. Many Masons drink alcohol and the large majority are over the legal age. What if you have a 18 year old Mason that is drinking? He is breaking the law and isn't that in itself unmasonic behavior?

Joey

Co-Founder
Staff Member
I know of one young man that is 17 now. He has been asking me about Masonry for well over a year now. I plan on giving him a petition for his birthday gift. :cool: