My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33rd Degree--Available for any worthy male, (including non-Masons)?

flameburns623

Hello.

Someone told me, once, that the 33° is an honor which can bestowed even upon non-Masons, which is why various US presidents have been alleged to have been bestowed the degree even though they were never otherwise associated with Freemasonry.

Any truth to this?

Edit: apparently not. See Br. Glen Cook's response, below.

Last edited:

flameburns623

Never heard of this...@glenncook would know

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry mobile app

My informant was himself a lodge member, but he could have been wildly mistaken.

This was told me, supposedly, in response to all the conspiracy theories with arm-length lists of 33rd° Freemasons, including just about every American President ever, which circulate about. Along with dire insinuations about how they are controlling the known universe.

And sacrificing goats (or something) as part of the plot.

My paternal grandfather, btw, was a 33° Scottish Rite Freemason. In the late 1960's, he rescued perhaps a half dozen co-workers in the midst of an industrial fire and explosions down in SW Missouri.

His honorary degree followed on from that, so presumably was awarded for said rescue. He passed in 1974, so is not available to elaborate.

When I have shared that my grandfather was 33° Scottish Rite with a certain type of (usually devoutly religious) person, the fear has actually been rather palpable in a few cases.

If they know me to be Masonic as well, the phobia is at least somewhat directed at me, too. Having been told the back-story I recounted in my OP, I have used it to attempt to diminish some of that anxiety.

Just fact-checking myself.

Edit: Br. Cook weighed in and refuted my OP.

The Traveling Man

Ronald Reagan
Hello.

Someone told me, once, that the 33° is an honor which can bestowed even upon non-Masons, which is why various US presidents have been alleged to have been bestowed the degree even though they were never otherwise associated with Freemasonry.

Any truth to this?

Edit: apparently not. See Br. Glen Cook's response, below.

President Reagan was made an Honorary Scottish Rite Mason, but he was not given a degree (according to his Scottish Rite Certificate).

fmasonlog

Some of them are really far out there. I especially like the one where Freemasons are in cahoots with shape shifting alien lizard beings trying to take over the world.

Omg lol. Those are my favorite... they'll put up videos and say "notice how his face changes into a lizard like shape."

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
9599d22fafa3ad44e0f2e1c1987e4c21.jpg

jermy Bell

I'm a 73rd degree mason myself. It took me years of searching for the right box of lucky charms to find the right decoder ring with the masonic cypher code. You can only join if your affiliation with the Royal order of buffalo. I've said to much already.
Forget you read this post