A few good men

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by JJones, Apr 10, 2015.

1. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

I was pondering something earlier and was curious about the thoughts of my peers and brethren on the matter.

The question I was pondering about was "How many men would I consider to be good men?". Based off my experiences and what I've seen during my time on this world I have a number in my head but I'd like to here everyone's thoughts before I share mine.

I'm curious what number or percentage everyone else here has in their head? Please don't ask me to define what I consider a good man to be before you come up with a figure in your head, I'm curious about your thoughts on the matter, completely based off your own definitions, interpretations, and experiences. I'm also holding off on my own number until I get a little feedback simply because I don't want my input to influence anything yet.

2. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

I know large numbers of good men - I work in the natural resources areas of state government and that work attracts a lot of those who have practiced good will for several lives.

That being said, while being good men (and women) they often have significant limitations, e.g. carrying on feuds and power struggles dating from the distant past.

3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I have met many more good men than bad in my opinion.

dfreybur likes this.
  4. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Can I answer in a different way? I've known very few genuinely bad people in six decades of life and over three decades in the practice of law. I've known the ill mannered, obnoxious, mean, vindictive, self centered and (diagnosed) narcissistic. But truly bad? Only a few (and they are REALLY bad).

dfreybur likes this.
  5. Angler

Angler Registered User

I agree with this. I have met my share of psychopaths, even in lodge. But i think most (99.9%) of masons are good and principled men worthy of respect.. But few can hold up their principles consistently over time with the burdens of life, family, aging, illness and temptation.

I hope that we all recognize that this is what we are trying to teach when we say we are "Making good men better".

Share My Freemasonry