My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Masonic "Bill of Rights", is it possible?

cemab4y

Premium Member
I read a "Masonic Bill of Rights", on another board. I find this topic fascinating. Can we have a discussion about this topic? I believe that most Grand Lodges, and Grand Lodge officers are doing an excellent job in serving their memberships, and in serving Masonry.

I also hear "horror stories", of Grand Lodge officers, who are operating in ways, that do not reflect on the high standards, that Masons should expect.

Could such a document be crafted? Would Grand Lodges be willing, to adopt a "Bill of Rights", and insert these rights into their constitutions? Is such a listing of rights,even necessary at all? I believe "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I am not interested in criticizing or "hammering", any individual grand Lodge or any grand Lodge officer, regardless of jurisdiction. I would just like to see what other Masons around the country, think about this idea.

Here is a possible "Bill of Rights":

-The right to speak, including electronically, and in print, about Masonry.

-The right to have a full and open hearing, in the event of masonic charges.

-The right to contact and seek guidance from other Masons, both in the individual's Grand Lodge, and from Masons in other Grand Jurisdictions, and Grand Lodges.

-The right to approach and present grievances to Grand Lodge officers, without fear of reprisal.

-The right to meet with other masons, and discuss masonry, and to form organizations of Masons outside of Grand Lodge supervision, such as "Masonic Square and Compasses Clubs", and "Widow's Sons clubs".

-The right to hold all officers, both at the individual lodge level, and at the Grand Lodge level, accountable for following the applicable rules and regulations of the lodge/grand Lodge.

-The right to submit changes to by-laws, regulations, and constitutions, at the lodge and Grand Lodge level, and to have these changes duly voted on, in proper form.

These are just a few that come to mind, what others should be added?

BTW- Here is a bit of humor, that has more than its share of truth:

"How many Grand Lodge officers does it take to change a light bulb?"

answer: "None, Grand Lodge officers don't believe in change".