My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A national youth camp to teach young people civic education

cemab4y

Premium Member
" A primary object ... should be the education of our youth in the science of government. In a republic, what species of knowledge can be equally important? and what duty more pressing...than communicating it to those who are to be the future guardians of the liberties of the country?"
-George Washington
(The Writings of George Washington, by John C. Fitzpatrick, GPO 1931-44, Vol 35-316

Art is not a mirror to reflect the world, but a hammer with which to shape it.
Vladimir Mayakovsky

One idea that I have been kicking around for some years, is one that I picked up from a movie. In "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" (1939), the plot involves the idea of setting up a "National Boys Camp" , where boys from all over America would go for a summer, to learn about American history and government.

I would like to pick up and modernize this idea, and maybe make it a reality. First, it would have to be co-ed, young ladies and young men.

Freemason Richard Dreyfuss has started the "Dreyfuss Initiative" . See http://www.thedreyfussinitiative.org Its goals are simple:

“To teach our kids how to run our country, before they are called upon to run our country…if we don’t, someone else will run our country.” - Richard Dreyfuss

I believe that the Masonic community in the USA, could come together, and provide the financing and direction to make a national youth camp for civics instruction a reality.

We could establish a camp in a rural area, maybe in the Rocky Mountain area. We could invite kids from all over America, to spend the summer there. The camp would provide civics and history instruction. We could get some guest instructors from major colleges and from the US government and military. The kids would get instruction in the mornings. In the afternoons, they could participate in wholesome recreational activities like horseback riding, backpacking etc.

Tuition could be charged on a sliding scale, enabling kids from modest backgrounds to afford the experience. Individual lodges could sponsor a scholarship program, and locate a deserving student in their community, and then send the young person to the camp.

An effort like this would be a continuation of our splendid tradition of universal education. The Wolcott Foundation (affiliated with High-Twelve International) provides scholarships for graduate studies in government at George Washington University.

What do you think about this? Could we make this happen?

I believe that an effort like this would be an opportunity to influence many young people in government, and perhaps lead them towards a career in public service.

Last edited:

MarkR

Premium Member
I think we've discussed this before, maybe on another board. I simply don't see how it could be done without involving Freemasonry in political partisanship, simply by even taking a position on the proper role of government. I could easily see one party or the other quickly seeing the Masons as their enemy.

cemab4y

Premium Member
This project could be done without any possible introduction of political partisanship. Check out the Wolcott Foundation. http://www.wolcottfoundation.com/

Masonically affiliated groups have supported educational activities for many years without any partisanship.

cemab4y

Premium Member
The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Louisiana sponsors "Camp Chicota" , in St. Landry parish Louisiana. It is primarily for underprivileged children, and not specifically focused on academics.