My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A small quiz about mistakes and inconsistencies in the Legend of the Craft

dfreybur

Premium Member
I dont know that Alchemy is a science.

Alchemy was the lower-case-s science or natural philosophy that eventually gave birth to chemistry. Chemistry is the capital-S Science of numerical methods founded in the generations near Newton. Newton remained an alchemist on that topic even though he was the greatest physicist and optician of his era as well as battling for top billing in maths based on his being a co-inventor of calculus. Newton spanned the era of Science and the era of science in a way only possible in his generation and the generation immediately before and after his life.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
At the risk of stating the obvious: alchemists seek to perfect matter by finding the live seed within various substances including minerals, and then cultivating the seed with attention to planetary and stellar influences.

Alchemy can be practiced upon minerals, plants and animals.

Animal alchemy is not really discussed in the alchemical literature, but Lovecraft does depict it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Case_of_Charles_Dexter_Ward
Wll i can assure you didnt run that risk as none of that was obvious

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

R

Ressam

The 3 components required for alchemical perfection of matter (veiled as salt, sulphur and mercury) appear in the 18th degree where the candidate is perfected, as salt, bread and wine.

Greetings, Mr.James!
I'm tellin' again&again:
Alchemy & other occultism related things are so-so unnecessary!
Christ was -- The Greatest Alchemist at that Times!
He had that Skill -- "Managing Matter"(transformation of water to wine, recovery of illed people).
But they killed Him.
The Algorithm for Humanity is:
1. Satan(don't confuse with Lucifer) dissappears.
2. Then Gates to Universe will be Opened for Humans.

Luigi Visentin

Ashmole was interested in Alchemy but this does not automatically means that ancient Masonry practiced Alchemy. However I think that Alchemy was one of their interests but for reasons that are too long to explain. The problem is that nowadays Alchemy is considered simply from its esoteric aspects. However Alchemy was not only chemistry but was a general name that covered al lot of different disciplines, some esoteric and some not like medicine and metallurgy. Already much before the modern scientific method there were scholars who considered those who looked for stuffs like the "gold fabrication" or the "creation of philosopher's stone" as crazy guys, while the methods to improve steel quality were regarded as serious, even if theye were really fanciful. The absence of a scientific method was a big limit, but in this regards Alchemy was not different from Architecture where many concepts and design method had not a scientific base and caused a lot of failures and collapses, also of buidings that we regards nowadays as masterpieces.

Luigi Visentin

your puzzle might tell more about the writers of the OT than about historical events.
I'm not sure to have right understood, but I can not give you any help about the Old Testament. The author or the authors of the Legend of The Craft likely believed that what was in the Old Testament was true, but the strange matter is that this had nothing to do with the reason why they have used it for the composition of the Legend. What it has been included in the Legend is because has a specific meaning or reason or because it has been already used from someone else and was a simply way to hide the contents.

To make an example if nowadays I would like to describe a strong and brave soldier I would use the name "Rambo" (I think that it is the same in U.S. :)). The Legend uses "Uriah", which was a guard of king David and husbands of Betsabea. However the same Legend tells you that he was "israelite", while the Bible tells that he was the "hittite". This means that you should not look at the Old Testament to find who he really was !

Luigi Visentin

Independently from the fact that Solomon and David have been really existed or not, for the author (or authors) of the Legend existed and histories of Bible were true. This should be of help to understand where to look: from when these histories were considered as real in west european territories? Answer: when these territories becomes christian. Therefore you have a starting period.

dfreybur

Premium Member
On legends and truth - Legends can be true in the sense of containing true and useful wisdom without being true in the sense of being on video. Much in our degrees is truth even if Solomon was not a historical figure who actually lived.