My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Transexual in the Grand Orient

david918

Premium Member
A Transsexual in the Grand Orient
January 21, 2010

A member of the largest obedience of French Freemasonry has changed sex.
For his brothers, who do not accept sexual integration, he remains a man.

For the first time, the largest French obedience, male, acknowledged the
sex change of a brother. 35 years ago, he was initiated into the Grand
Orient, in Paris, and has changed his civil status. That a sister is so
recognized in the Grand Orient is without precedent. Usually, transsexuals are
fraternally encouraged to join a mixed or female obedience.

A first step towards sexual integration? "For us, even if he has legally
become a woman, he was initiated as a brother and genetically remains a
man," responds Pierre Lambicchi, Grand Master of the Grand Orient.

The last Convent of the Grand Orient rejected the possibility of allowing
lodges to initiate women or affiliate sisters of other obediences.

http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/societe/un-transsexuel-au-grand-orient_843666.html

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
I think when someone becomes a woman we should fully respect that. Admitting them into the fraternity doesn't do that.

Christopher

I agree this actually seems much less accepting of her transsexual status. Still, they can do that in France because they have lodges for women. What would we do in the US where a woman can't be a Mason? Would the former Brother be able to continue to sit in Lodge, or would she be asked to leave Masonry, as Masonry is only for men?

Interesting post, Brother David, thanks.

dhouseholder

I'd think that one of the things that recommended one to be a Mason is that he be a man. You can change your status as a man, just as if you changed your status from a theist to an atheist, you'd be asked to leave. I'd vote to boot her from our lodge. I have nothing against being transgender or gay or whatever. The moment you are a woman, you are no longer a Mason. Thoughts?

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
I don't think anyone has said anything untoward at all.

My impression of someone who does this surgery is that it is a fully thought out choice. I don't think they necessarily have to be happy about absolutely everything they lose or gain in the change. A lot of people sacrifice family and friends for less "severe" gender or sexual identity expressions.

This has nothing to do with opinions on gender or sexuality. Unless you don't believe they are a woman - which they and their consults and their doctors believe they are..

You wanna mess up the equation of being a man - hermaphrodites are the real question.

david918

Premium Member
I agree this actually seems much less accepting of her transsexual status. Still, they can do that in France because they have lodges for women. What would we do in the US where a woman can't be a Mason? Would the former Brother be able to continue to sit in Lodge, or would she be asked to leave Masonry, as Masonry is only for men?

Interesting post, Brother David, thanks.

There are a lot of woman masons here in the USA we just don't recognize them as masons.He/she could join a woman's lodge or Co-masonic lodge but it does make for an interesting question about the brother and masonry.