My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFRICAN FREEMASONRY (FROM FACEBOOK - VERSION 16 LAST UPDATED ON 14-DEC-19)

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
(WARNING! THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT I WROTE!
I THOUGHT IT USEFUL TO SHARE!
HERE IS THE SOURCE OF THIS INFORMATION:

--------------------------------------------------

AFRICAN FREEMASONRY

AFRICAN FREEMASONRY - TANZANIA, KENYA, ZAMBIA, ZIMBABWE, GHANA, NAMIBIA, SIERRA LEONE, CAMEROON, GAMBIA, NIGERIA, BENIN, UGANDA, MALAWI, SOUTH AFRICAN REGIONS, KWAZULU-NATAL,ORANGE FREE STATE, BOTSWANA, BENIN, COTE D’IVOIRE, GABON, MADAGASCAR, TOGO, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO, MAURITIUS AND MOROCCO, ETHIOPIA (VERSION 16 LAST UPDATED ON 14-DEC-19)

Requests from Africa with questions on this forum about joining from various nations from within Africa have been a constant over the last 6 years at least. This is basically a one-stop guide that I have put together to assist visitors interested in joining.

Let’s get the hard facts out of the way since there seems to be a lot of misunderstandings about African Freemasonry...

1. FREEMASONRY WILL NOT GIVE YOU MONEY AND IT WILL NOT MAKE YOU RICH (If anything, it'll COST YOU! See item 5!)
2. IT WON’T MAKE YOU FAMOUS OR ASSIST YOU TO GET A RECORDING CONTRACT.
3. IT PROVIDES FOR HUMANITARIAN RELIEF AND TO REGISTERED CHARITIES
4. WE RAISE MONEY FOR LIFEBOATS, AIR AMBULANCES MOBILE CHEMOTHERAPY VEHICLES AND HOSPITALS.
5. YOU HAVE TO PAY ANNUAL LODGE FEES, WHICH ARE USED FOR THE UPKEEP OF THE LODGE BUILDING.
6. JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED ITEM NUMBER 1; FREEMASONRY WILL NOT GIVE YOU MONEY. FREEMASONRY WILL NOT MAKE YOU RICH. (If anything, it'll COST YOU! ONCE AGAIN, See item 5!)

OK, if you’re still with me at this point, some administration…

This part is really important. This post isn’t an open invite to friend me, or private message me. Please DO NOT waste your time by sending me a friend request or private message. I don't mean to be rude, but I won't accept it, so don't be put out when I just delete it.

If you have very carefully read this article and still don’t see the answer to your question, I suggest reading the article again before asking on the main wall of this page.

When you do send me a private message or friend request, all you’re doing is giving me the impression that you are too lazy to have read this text. I appreciate it is long, but it isn’t me that’s looking for information, You are!

--------------------------------------------
A warning; There are an increasing number of fake Lodges operating in Africa. They also use the internet (forums, facebook, etc...) very effectively in their evil scamming ways. I used to list them all but I don’t bother now as I am listing what I believe to be the only true Lodges in Africa, and I don’t wish to give scumbags any more publicity than they deserve.

Under no circumstances hand over any cash until you are actually inside a Lodge and about to be initiated. There are a few scams going on in Africa. Be cautious and don’t get caught out.

Before you embark on your Masonic journey, be aware that the process can take months and months….. We don’t just let anyone in!

Nobody will call you from a Masonic Lodge first, so please do not put your number on this forum. YOU have to call the Lodge yourself. This is an important part of becoming a Freemason, and will be explained in due course when you become a Freemason.

Don’t post your photograph onto the page…..It won’t make any difference, and after all, it is a Masonic page, NOT a dating site!

If you can’t answer yes to these questions, you may want to reconsider wanting to join;

1. Are you a naturally born Male?
  2. Do you believe in a supreme being such as God, Allah, Yahweh, Krishna, Buddha, etc.?
  3. Are you over the age of 21 years? (In some countries the minimum age is 18, so check when you first approach them)
  4. Can you afford to pay your annual Lodge fees without putting yourself or your family in financial difficulties?
  5. Are you able to devote 3 or 4 nights a Month to attend Lodge for Rehearsals, Meetings, and Lodges of Instructions?
  6. Are you able to devote time, and/or money to assist those less fortunate than yourself?
and finally the big question;

7. Why do you want to be a Freemason? You will be asked this a lot during the process to join.

The links below are to the best of my knowledge and belief Regular and Recognized Lodges. MOST but not all, are from English Constitution Lodges. If you go outside these links, I take no responsibility for the consequences.

If you live in Uganda, Tanzania or Kenya, your Lodges are administered by the District Grand Lodge of East Africa, so you will need to apply at this address:

DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF EAST AFRICA
District Grand Secretary
Address
Freemasons’ Hall
PO Box 40828
Nairobi
Kenya
Tel: +220 2727201
If you can’t get through on the phone, write a letter asking for more information on joining.

The DGLEA have recently been pleased to provide me with additional, specific information on joining their Lodges, including their fees, which reinforces much of what I have previously posted.

1. As in other organizations, you must be recommended by someone who is already a member and have known you for a minimum period of three years.
2. Your financial position must be such that you can afford the entrance fee which in most of our lodges is an average of Kshs. 30,000/= to 40,000/= with an annual subscription of average Kshs 4,000/= to Kshs 6,000/= per year.
3. We are a charitable organization and as such collect money from our members to donate to other charitable organizations such as, Salvation Army, Blind Schools, Disabled Homes, etc. We do not give charity to individual people, so again your financial position must be adequate to support this without detriment to yourself or your family. I have to state that we assist Registered Charities and not individuals.
4. If you are a married man, we like to be assured that your wife is in full support of your becoming a member.
5. You must have a belief in Almighty God or the Supreme Being of your own religion and this is essential to membership, but I must point out that we are not a religion ourselves but strive to enhance individual member’s religion.
6. Kindly note that no fees are payable to anyone until after you are accepted as a member of a Lodge in this District.

If you live in Ghana, you have quite a choice of Lodges. Freemasonry in Ghana is organised under two constitutions - the Grand Lodge of Ghana which is an amalgamation of the Irish and Scottish Lodges - and the District Grand Lodge of Ghana, English constitution.
----------
One under the English constitution;

GRAND LODGE OF GHANA
District Grand Secretary
Address
PO Box 409
Liberia Road
Accra
Ghana
Tel:………. Well I used to put the telephone numbers down, but I was getting so many messages from people from Ghana complaining (not just telling me about it….actually complaining) to me that the number didn’t work! It was apparently easier to complain to me (Like I could do anything about it) than it was to read the concluding sentence below, which has always been there, or than by visiting the website!
My patience in regards to the apathy and laziness demonstrated by the people who messaged me has not been so severely tested in a while!
If you can’t get through on the phone, write a letter asking for more information on joining.
http://www.grandlodgeofghana.org
and one under the Scottish and Irish Constitution:

Office of the Grand Lodge of Ghana,
Grand Secretary - R.W. Bro. Fernando Baeta
P.O. Box KA 9590,
Accra - Ghana.
I have removed the telephone number, so you’ll have to write a letter. asking for more information on joining.

If you live in Nigeria or Benin, you have a choice of three constitutions, English, Irish and Scottish. All of them are recognized and regular. You can contact them at these addresses:

www.grandlodgeofnigeria.org
The Grand Secretary
Grand Lodge of Nigeria
No 7 Okwuruola Street, off Stadium Road,
by Charlie’s Fitness Centre,
Port Harcourt, Rivers State
Email: grandsecretary@grandlodgeofnigeria.org
Phone: +2348033095785, +2348057307356
DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF NIGERIA
http://www.dgln.org/DGLN/Welcome.html
They are spread over the 36 States of Nigeria.
In Lagos, there is the first Masonic Temple in Nigeria, St George's Hall, 28, Broad Street, Lagos.
Ebute Metta Masonic Temple, 22, Odellki Street, Ebute Metta, Lagos, Under Grand lodge of England.
The Academic Hall, 340 Murtala Mohammed Way, Yaba, Lagos, which is for the Ancient, Free And Accepted Masons Of Scotland.
District Grand Secretary Peter Graham Crabb
Address
PO Box 227
Lagos
Nigeria
Tel: [234] (0)704 406 3847 or

Nigerians who wish to join the Irish Constitution can contact
The Provincial Grand Lodge of Nigeria
18, Morgan Street,
Ojodu, Ikeja,
Lagos,
Nigeria.
Telephone: +2348033124069, +2348033289823

With fraternal thanks to Brother Onyewuchi Joel Eze for additional information on the various constitutions.
In addition, WBro Abe Metz has been pleased to update some additional requirements for Nigeria. The Provincial Deputy Grand Master in Lagos, Nigeria has instigated an additional requirement that a person seeking to join the fraternity, MUST come in person to the Lodge he is seeking to join and meet with the brothers first.
After meeting with the brothers, he must ask for a petition and when submitting the petition he MUST include a short essay or written statement on WHY he wishes to join, and what he feels he has to contribute to the betterment of the craft, and what he feels the craft can do for him.
This can be a lengthy process, and you must be persistent but not pushy! These men NEED to get to know who you are first because 2 of them will be required to sign your petition and vouch for you. I would NOT vouch for someone I don't know, and if you do join and become a Master Mason, then you will be in that position one day to recommend someone who you just met.
It is not a right to join our fraternity, it is the highest honour and privilege! I cannot stress enough how much bad and inaccurate information is out there, however I can assure you that joining our fraternity will NOT make you rich or wealthy or well connected! You will get out of freemasonry what YOU put into it!!!!
Worthy Brothers; I thank you both for your assistance.
-------------------------------------------------------------

CAMEROON
Lodges in Cameroon from this link are administered via the Grand Lodge of Scotland.
There does not appear to be any links to separate Lodges.

District Grand Lodge of Cameroon
It shows the names and locations of the Lodges in Cameroon, along with the dates and times of their meetings.
Show up about 45 minutes before the opening time and ask to speak to the Secretary, declaring your interest.
--------------------------------------------------------

If you live in Zambia….write or call….
DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF ZAMBIA
District Grand Secretary
Address PO Box 320075
Woodlands
Lusaka
Zambia
Tel: +260 1 25672
This is a link to their Scottish Constitution Lodge website.
http://www.freemasonszambia.com
-----------------------------------
If you live in Namibia….write or call….

DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF NAMIBIA
District Grand Secretary John D. Mandy
Address
PO Box 774
Windhoek
Namibia
Tel: 61 227647
If you are 100% serious, and fully understand that you will have to pay an annual fee for zero financial return, and you meet all the other criteria,
------------------------------------

DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF SIERRA LEONE & THE GAMBIA

District Grand Secretary Henry Gbassay Deen
Address PO Box 401
Freemasons’ Hall
Freetown
Sierra Leone
There isn’t a web page or telephone number provided, so a letter it will have to be!
DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF ZIMBABWE & MALAWI
District Grand Secretary John Rex Paxton
Tel: +263 4 778270
Or write to them at this address:
The District Grand Secretary
PO Box BE 291
Belvedere
Harare
Zimbabwe
--------------------------

South Africa

http://www.grandlodge.co.za/

If you are 100% serious, and fully understand that you will have to pay an annual fee for zero financial return, and you meet all the other criteria, This kind hearted Freemason has volunteered to assist on facebook for all South African and Namibia enquiries. Please do not waste his time, and only contact him via his mailbox.
https://www.facebook.com/thys.debeer.54?hc_location=stream

DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF SOUTH AFRICA, CENTRAL DIVISION

District Grand Secretary
Masonic Temple
Du Toitspan Road
Kimberley
8301 South Africa
Postal Address
PO Box 10411
Beaconsfield
8315 South Africa
Tel: +27 53 832 5402
Please note that for all applications to South African Lodges, you must have full South African citizenship or the correct valid visa. This is due to many illegal immigrants attempting to gain entry into South Africa via the fraternity.

DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF SOUTH AFRICA, EASTERN DIVISION

District Grand Secretary
Address
PO Box 19603
Tecoma
East London
5214 South Africa
Tel: +27 43 735 4393

Please note that for all applications to South African Lodges, you must have full South African citizenship or the correct valid visa. This is due to many illegal immigrants attempting to gain entry into South Africa via the fraternity.

DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF SOUTH AFRICA, NORTH

District Grand Secretary
AddressFreemasons’ Hall
6 Park Lane
Parktown
Johannesburg 2193
Postal Address
PO Box 17037
Hillbrow
2038 South Africa
Tel: [27] (0) 11 6433311

DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF SOUTH AFRICA, WESTERN DIVISION

District Grand Secretary
Address
Masonic Centre
Ringwood Drive
Pinelands
7405 South Africa
Postal Address
PO Box 205
Howard Place
Cape Town
7450 South Africa
Tel: +27 21 531 6192

Additional Links

The Link to The Grand Lodge of Ireland for links in Zimbabwe, Northern South Africa, Zambia, Natal, Southern Cape, Kenya
http://www.irish-freemasons.org/.../GL_Overseas_Lodges.html
DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF KWAZULU-NATAL
District Grand Secretary

Maurice J.D. Irving
Address
40 Fairydene Village
18 Stapleton Road
Sarina 3610
KwaZulu-Natal
Tel: [27] (0)31 7082204
http://www.natalenglishfreemasonry.co.za
Orange Free State

Address
Masonic Centre
Van Blerk Avenue
Spitshop
Bloemfontein
South Africa
Postal Address
PO Box 12945
Brandhof
South Africa
Tel: [27] (0)51 436 2183

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Botswana
DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF BOTSWANA

District Grand Secretary Bro Brian John Giffard
There are Three Lodges meeting in Botswana under The Grand Lodge of Scotland
Jwaneng Lodge No:1790
Meeting at The Gezaar Hotel, Jwaneng, Botswana, on 1st Friday–February to December except July, at 7.00pm
Nt she Lodge No: 1746, meeting at The Bernard Glazer Memorial Hall, Francistown, Botswana, on 3rd Saturday–January to November, at 7.00 p.m.
Notwani Lodge No: 1633, meeting at Gaborone Masonic Temple, Plot 25813, Block 9, Gaborone, Botswana on 2nd Friday - February to November, (excluding July), at 7.00p.m.
No email or contact details are available, therefore I suggest visiting in person about 45 minutes before the above times on the dates of the meetings, and ask to speak to the Lodge Secretary, declaring your Interest.
Democratic Republic of Congo
Grand Lodge of Democratic Republic of Congo
B.P. 8003, Cite OMS, Brazzaville, Republique du Congo
+242 06 6691608

Mauritius
GRAND LODGE OF MAURITIUS

Barachois Estate, Tamarin
REPUBLIC OF MAURITIUS
INDIAN OCEAN
Tel. : +(230) 483 4439
Fax : + (230) 483 8493
Email : glmasonica@intnet.mu
Agdal Rabat,
Maroc
Telephone 212(0)61306850
http://www.grandelogeuniedumaroc.ma/devenir-franc-macon.html
Benin, Ivory Coast/Cote d'Ivoire, Gabon, Madagascar, Senegal and Togo.
All have regular and recognized Grand Lodges, but no publicly available contact details. Below are the official names of their Grand Lodges. You will have to do some detective work yourself from within, possibly from Libraries, or even the Phone Book.
The Grand Lodge of Benin
The Grand Lodge of Cote d'Ivoire
The Grand Lodge of Gabon
The National Grand Lodge of Madagascar
The Grand Lodge of Senegal
The Grand Lodge of Togo
Thank You and I wish you well on your journey if it is an honorable one.
Work hard at your studies, get really good at something you love, or invent something everyone needs, or develop a cure for Cancer. That is the way to get rich, not by joining Freemasonry.

“Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in Freemasonry. The United Grand Lodge of England is not aware of any regular Freemasonry in Ethiopia.”

I say again (someone from Africa will always send me a friend request for some bizarre reason) Please don’t private message me or send me a friend request. Sometimes I reply, but mostly I just delete and block you. Above all else; Watch out for those scams!

(WARNING! ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT I WROTE!
HERE IS THE SOURCE OF THIS INFORMATION:

)

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
QUICK QUESTION:

Which one of these Grand Lodges covers Ethiopia?

Winter

Premium Member
Seriously. How do so many people find this group to ask for help to join, but can't find the web site for the Grand Lodge in the country where they reside?
Or, find this site and not be able to search here even for any mention of the country they are inquiring about. I get that language may be an issue, but I have to assume that people who don't speak English still use internet search engines. Sadly, the issue is far more wide spread. In literally every hobby I have that uses either social media groups or internet forums to organize, discuss, and collaborate, not a day goes by that doesn't see multiple posters asking questions that could have been easily answered with 5 seconds of looking. Not sure why so many people who have the combined wisdom of our species at their fingertips want everything just handed to them. [/Rant]

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Or, find this site and not be able to search here even for any mention of the country they are inquiring about. I get that language may be an issue, but I have to assume that people who don't speak English still use internet search engines. Sadly, the issue is far more wide spread. In literally every hobby I have that uses either social media groups or internet forums to organize, discuss, and collaborate, not a day goes by that doesn't see multiple posters asking questions that could have been easily answered with 5 seconds of looking. Not sure why so many people who have the combined wisdom of our species at their fingertips want everything just handed to them. [/Rant]
This will not give you great joy, but I see the same thing amongst young US attorneys. Rather than looking at the index to the code or appropriate regulation, which can now be searched digitally, they hop on the discussion board and ask, “What’s the rule for xxxxx” rather than just looking. i don’t mind them asking how the rule applies in a set of facts. But get off your butt butter cup and do some work.

A similar displeasing event: a few days ago in a discussion group, the question came up of using a masonic symbol on a business résumé. I pointed out to one of the discussion participants who didn’t like the answers been given, that the matter would be resolved for him by the law of his jurisdiction, not the law of our jurisdictions,. I asked what the law of his jurisdiction was. He did not know, but would ask someone. I suggested at least twice that he simply look at the code of his jurisdiction. He simply refused to do so. And waited until the next week to orally ask someone. He still doesn’t know what the code of his jurisdiction says, just what someone of no known knowledge told him.

We have the most educated fraternity in the history of man who view “research“ as asking in an Internet group.

Winter

Premium Member
This will not give you great joy, but I see the same thing amongst young US attorneys. Rather than looking at the index to the code or appropriate regulation, which can now be searched digitally, they hop on the discussion board and ask, “What’s the rule for xxxxx” rather than just looking. i don’t mind them asking how the rule applies in a set of facts. But get off your butt butter cup and do some work.

A similar displeasing event: a few days ago in a discussion group, the question came up of using a masonic symbol on a business résumé. I pointed out to one of the discussion participants who didn’t like the answers been given, that the matter would be resolved for him by the law of his jurisdiction, not the law of our jurisdictions,. I asked what the law of his jurisdiction was. He did not know, but would ask someone. I suggested at least twice that he simply look at the code of his jurisdiction. He simply refused to do so. And waited until the next week to orally ask someone. He still doesn’t know what the code of his jurisdiction says, just what someone of no known knowledge told him.

We have the most educated fraternity in the history of man who view “research“ as asking in an Internet group.
I get the exact same thing at my work. I have people who have access to the exact same information as I do but will routinely ask me for something. It literally takes them longer to find me and and ask me for the information. And I know for a fact that having to interact with me does not make the extra effort worth it!

You don’t have to know everything, but you should learn how and where to find the things you need and want to know.” Sophonisba P. Breckinridge

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
You two are NOT alone in this! I cannot tell you how many times a day this occurs for me through my FB connections. Whelming doesn't come close!