Am i wrong?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by jfree7997, Oct 13, 2013.

1. jfree7997

jfree7997 Registered User

I am a black man that wishes to a freemason. The lodge i wish to petition has only one black member but that does not bother me because they make me feel very welcome and comfortable. I have my petition and need one more signature. I asked a coworker to sign for me and he said to go visit a prince hall lodge in the area and ill get a signature cause ill probably know someone there. Im a lil upset at that statement and feel it was racist. Thoughts please.

My Freemasonry HD

2. john76

john76 Registered User

Freemasonry sees no color.

3. rpbrown

rpbrown Premium Member

I agree. We have 2 African Americans members but only 1 is active. He is currently our Senior Steward but also leads our committee on work. We also have several Hispanic members as well. We would welcome any man as long as he is of good moral character.

Bill Lins likes this.
  4. JohnnyFlotsam

JohnnyFlotsam Premium Member

Yes, but sadly, lots of Freemasons still do, and our friend jfree7997 seems to have run into one. Doubtless, that man (the one who refused to sign) will offer some rationale that includes the phrase "own kind". Still, one should not judge the organization by the actions of one or two idiots.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  5. jfree7997

Please understand im not judging the org at all. Just frustrated that someone said that to me.

My Freemasonry HD

6. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

is your coworker a member of your lodge or a non-mason?

7. jfree7997

He is a mason at another lodge.

My Freemasonry HD

8. jvarnell

jvarnell Premium Member

I would be proud to sign any man's petition that is willing to stand for his convictions. I think there are too many men willing to stand aside and look on to problems that should righted. Don't be upset or hurt just go for what you want. Are you anywhere near Duncanville?

9. jfree7997

Thank u sir. No newport news virginia

My Freemasonry HD

10. jvarnell

jvarnell Premium Member

Well if you are ever in Duncanville, TX (I know there is a Duncanville, GA) I would like to shake your hand and meet you.

11. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

perhaps he thought you were petitioning PHA and though a PHA mason sig might be more appropriate? I try to give the benefit of the doubt and try not to think it was racist. I guess that's only a call you can make. Maybe it was just a careless statement?

asdf4727 likes this.
  12. jfree7997

Yea maybe you are right. Hopefully ill be getting my last sig thursday and turning in my petition

My Freemasonry HD

13. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

If you go down to the lodge and hang out for an hour or 2 you will have your signatures in no time.

I wouldn't be offended by the PH comment. Now from what my eyes have seen i NEVER EVER seen a white man in a PH lodge. So i guess most people think its vice a versa.

Ive also NEVER EVER seen a african american in a NON PH lodge either. I guess every states different.

14. jfree7997

Well i got past the comment and the gentleman that said it to me voted in my favor so it was not as i took it. I am initiated working on my EA now for about 6 weeks already up to the obligation. It is very interesting that the lodge i am in actually wants to change and become younger and more diverse. And these are the words of several officers.

Warrior1256 and Tony Uzzell like this.
  15. MRichard

MRichard Mark A. Ri'chard Premium Member

There are white men in Prince Hall just as there are African-Americans in mainstream masonry.

16. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

In what state are you?

17. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Florida. No disrespect brothers. But its what ive seen.

18. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

In Texas, it's not at all unusual to see black Brethren in GLoTX Lodges- many times filling a chair.

Tony Uzzell likes this.
  19. MRichard

MRichard Mark A. Ri'chard Premium Member

Well considering that Florida is still one of the southern states that doesn't even recognize Prince Hall, it is not surprising.

20. Zack

Zack Registered User

There are Black members of MWGL of Florida.
    I know of one PM.

Share My Freemasonry