My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amateur Radio here!

cemab4y

Premium Member
I am a ham operator, call sign AB4Y (ex- WA4YRA). It was a ham operator, who first introduced me to Freemasonry. When I lived in Columbus, Ohio, we had an all-ham degree team, the "Hiram-Hams". Whenever a ham operator took the Craft degrees, we would get hams from all over central Ohio, to participate.

I started the "Voice of Aladdin" amateur radio club at Aladdin Shrine Center (Columbus OH). We coordinated parades, and other public events for the Shrine.

When I return to Washington DC area, I am going to start a ham radio club at Kena Shrine, and provide radio communications, and amateur television for parades and other events.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
wow. that's f-ing awesome.

my great-uncle was a ham radio operator (still is).

i don't know, but it sounds like it might still happen... are the recently given up frequencies for UHF TV still going to be available for HAM ops?

Hippie19950

Premium Member
N5XMV here, and was a "student" in my early years in Indiana. My wife is KE5LGK, and we are both involved in work with the community during storms, especially those spawned by the hurricanes from the Gulf Coast. I am always looking forward to meeting those I have talked to, and since I have ATV and SSTV here, we do get to see a few. I have a nephew someplace near you AB4Y have been getting a text from him about once a week or so, and he is only a couple months into his tour. Ya'll take care over there, and THANKS! from a V.N. Vet.

Last edited:

cemab4y

Premium Member
wow. that's f-ing awesome.

my great-uncle was a ham radio operator (still is).

i don't know, but it sounds like it might still happen... are the recently given up frequencies for UHF TV still going to be available for HAM ops?

Why aren't you a ham operator? I taught the material to my uncle, after I got my "ticket". The exam is not hard, and there is no morse code.

UHF Television stopped at channel 69 or so, some years ago. I do not believe there are any plans to allocate any of the channels between 69 and 83 to amateur use.

You can find out, at ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i don't have any of the equipment. i was under the impression it was pretty expensive?

cemab4y

Premium Member
Amateur Radio is NOT a rich man's hobby. The equipment is quite reasonable. There are tons of equipment for sale at flea markets (called "hamfests"). And used gear on e-bay. If you can get an estate sale, the widow is usually glad to get the stuff out of the house.

You need to check in with your local ham radio club, and the local hams in your area, will get you clued into, what the equipment and hobby is all about. You can network with some of the experienced hams, and they will show you how to go to a hamfest, and give you the benefit of their experience. Hams love to talk, that is why they talk on the radio.

the ARRL (ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page) can help you locate a local radio club, and get you started in the hobby.