ambition- good or bad?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by "Lewis", May 23, 2010.

1. "Lewis"

"Lewis" Registered User

Ambition is one of the human characteristics that leads us to war, just as it could as easily lead us to progress in a competitive market, creating jobs and a good cash flow. Everything has 2 sides. So, if you're for it, you support the aggression it creates, but if you're against it, you're against human progress and intuition.

2. PeterLT

PeterLT Premium Member

A lack of ambition usually results in stagnation and want. Ambition is not always a cause of aggression and even if it is, it's not always a bad thing. To be desirous to be free is an ambition to many, even today. Ambition is not the problem, it is the execution that gets us in trouble. Is a bank robber less ambitious than an entrepreneur? Was Lenin less ambitious than Benjamin Franklin?

3. Benton

Benton Premium Member

I think I would also add if ambition leads to pride, it could be a negative attribute. Being proud of an accomplishment is one thing, but being prideful tends to lead to conceit, etc. So I think ambition to improve ourselves as Masons, fathers, husbands, employees, or employers, those sorts of things, is great and worthy of praise. So long as it doesn't lead to a prideful attitude that might lack in humility.

4. PeterLT

PeterLT Premium Member

Well put and a reason why many of history's greats have fallen in shame. It's always a good idea to keep one's feet firmly on the ground.

Share My Freemasonry