Any stargazers?

Discussion in 'The Refreshment Lounge' started by JTM, Aug 14, 2009.

1. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

I have an 8 in refraction telescope... it's pretty neat-o. Ya'll?

Celestial Atlas by Alexander Jamieson

found this today, was looking through it, thought it was cool, reminded me of astronomy.

2. Sirius

Sirius Registered User

I had a telescope as a kid and still know a few constellations. One of my favorite things is to go out to Big Bend , lay on the ground at night , a stare at the heavens. It's always a powerful experience. Just another reminder that there is a God. Makes me want to take an astronomy class .

3. HKTidwell

HKTidwell Premium Member

Been ten years since I have been able to visit Big Bend. Man I need to take a vacation there again.

4. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

i had a buddy go out there by himself. he said it was amazing.

5. Sirius

Sirius Registered User

Big Bend has an amazing power. The Indian legend is when God was finished creating the world he put the left overs in Big Bend. I'm planning a trip for December.

6. Nate Riley

Nate Riley Premium Member

I haven't look through the telescope in years, but I love looking at the night sky.

It is an amazing place. We don't make it into the park much any more, we usually hang out in Marathon, or Alpine (Marfa once). Its hard to beat the Gage.

7. Sirius

Sirius Registered User

the Gage?

8. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

A Brother told me last night that in the morning of August 27th (a little after midnight) that the Moon and Mars will appear together for the first time in 270+ years... If he is correct, none of us will ever have the chance to see this again in our lifetimes.

9. Nate Riley

Nate Riley Premium Member

10. Sirius

Sirius Registered User

very lovely.

11. Robert Marshall

Robert Marshall Secretary, Waco 92 Premium Member

I certainly got into this when I was around 10 or so. I never lost interest but I did stop actively involving myself in it. I have an Astronomy class at Baylor this semester. It should be quite interesting.

12. RonDawley

RonDawley Registered User

I have a Meade TelStar that I haven't used in a while, had to dust it off the other day. I live about an hour from the McDonald Observatory, been there in the day time just need to make up there for a star party.

13. scottmh59

scottmh59 Registered User

i have a 5.1" f/8 Astro-Physics AP130EDT. when i bought it the sales man said it was great for looking at uranus...but it turns out that its not.

14. Sirius

Sirius Registered User

Thats because its for looking into space, Scott.

15. owls84

owls84 Moderator Premium Member

Now THAT was funny my friend.

16. Pantarbe

Pantarbe Registered User

Hi,

10" Dobsonian Reflector, Hey- I know that this is not the most current news but check out latest on Alpha Beta Proxima Centauri Systems...
    http://www.solstation.com/stars/alp-cent3.htm

Some truly awesome info to be found here.

Walter

Share My Freemasonry