My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are pha lodges considered blue lodges?

KO2134

idk and forgive me if the question seems due to you because youre a MM but remember you were in my position at some point also

MarkR

Premium Member
Maybe he's just asking if the same terminology is used. In some other Masonic jurisdictions, they don't use the term "blue lodge" rather "craft lodge."

scialytic

Premium Member
I guess the quickest answer is that you would probably find both "mainstream" and "Prince Hall" are pretty much the same for big picture stuff (if not most everything else). The GLoT and the MWPHGLoT evaluated eachother and recognized eachother as "regular." The other Brothers from Prince Hall here (you've already met some) would gladly answer any specific questions you may have. (You could either PM or post the questions here.)

Are you currently a Mason?

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
There has been so much negativity from some on here regarding Prince Hall and he did not indicate that he was not a mason. I apologize for being touchy.

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
From what I understand as a Master Mason having been raised under the jurisdiction of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of the State of Connecticut, Blue Lodge and Craft Lodge are one in the same whether the affiliation is Prince Hall or Mainstream. So in other words, whether a Brother be a Prince Hall affiliate or Mainstream, he is a regular Brother entitled to all the same rights, lights and benefits of Masonry as I.

KO2134

no im not a mason yet but i really dont know what a blue lodge is can someone explain and please have some historical context

daddyrich

It's always been my understanding (and I could be mistaken) that a 'Blue Lodge' is where you would go for for your first 3 degrees and it's usually your home lodge, as well. Further degrees are available via appendant bodies, after you have been raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason. But, one thing at a time, right? :)

towerbuilder7

Premium Member
Young Brother, allow me to offer a brief answer for you. Yes, we in Prince Hall Affiliated Masonry also consider the Lodge which houses our First Three Degrees a "Blue Lodge", or "Blue House". It's a nickname given to that particular house. The Degrees in this House are considered SYMBOLIC Degrees. For a deeper explanation, you must gain entrance to the doors of this Brotherhood. Since you're not a Mason yet, I do not think it is proper to explain any further. I'll just say THIS----each Lodge or "House" in Masonry possesses things within that make it distinctive from the other Houses. See you on the other side............

Bro. Vincent C. Jones, Sr., Lodge Chaplain, Bayou City Lodge #228
Prince Hall Affiliation, Free and Accepted Masonry, Houston, Texas
Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Texas

scialytic

Premium Member
The next step is up to you: :21:

To throw a little more out about the differences: "mainstream" under the Grand Lodge of Texas has been historically not diverse in membership (moreso with African Americans). This is changing drastically. I was just talking with a Brother at the Grand Lodge who said that he is glad to be seeing it and that he thought that his generation would have to have died out before the change. The more Candidates that defy that stereotype, the more likely we'll see a change and ultimately an omission of that stereotype.

Prince Hall has their own history in which a free Black Man was initiated into the Fraternity in the late 1700's and from that point forward there is a beautiful history about how Prince Hall Freemasonry survived--then thrived--as it continues today. Membership is welcome to all races of men (as is "mainstream"), but the membership is made up of mainly African American ethnicity, etc.

Not knowing your ethniciy (and frankly, regardless of your ethnicity) I would attend dinners before the meetings of Lodges from both Grand Lodges. (Figuratively) wear a blind fold and judge each on their interactions and the overall vibes you get. Though both Grand Lodges recognize eachother, there is no visitation between the two types of Lodges (i.e. a PH Mason can not attend my Lodge, and vice-versa). This will change someday soon.

If you have specific questions about both, there are already some great contributors to this forum that are subscribed to this post. You can post here or private message (PM) them for clarification. (Though I may sound knowledgeable...these Brothers are the best to ask as their Journey's have far more logged miles...)

I'm excited to see your interest in the Craft. Check the Grand Lodge websites for Texas and Most Worshipful Prince Hall of Texas to locate nearby Lodges and get out and meet some of your future Brothers! Best wishes and safe travels...

Last edited:

daddyrich

I am not aware of any negativity here as it regards Prince Hall Masonry. I hope it has been properly dealt with, we ARE brothers, after all.

widows son

Premium Member
We are all equal brothers prince hall or not, in fact i dont think there should be a distinction between the two anymore we live in a modern world now, not the segregated 1700s

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
We are all equal brothers prince hall or not, in fact i dont think there should be a distinction between the two anymore we live in a modern world now, not the segregated 1700s

While I do see your point, I think that by loosing the distinction of affiliation, we will loose some culture along with it. I am a fan of allowing dual membership...and of course mutual recognition.