My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are secrets Spiritual?

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
I often hear Masons say that there really aren't any secrets in Masonry anymore. I understand why they say this, I just disagree with them. The reason is that the word secret, like all words, has more than one meaning.

Let me give you an example. Because I have a calculator on my desk I am able to quickly calculate how many minutes there are in a year. But I am not going to tell you. I promise you that I am going to keep the number of minutes in a year secret. Does this mean that you can not find out the answer? No, of course not. If you find out the number of minutes in a year does this mean that I have not kept my promise? Again, the answer is no.

Masonic secrets are exactly like that. In my obligation I did not promise to prevent everyone from finding out the secrets of Masonry. I only promised that I would not reveal them. My Masonic obligation is not about what the other guy does, it is about what I do. And for me, the ability to control my own behavior is an essential first step in living a spiritual life.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
I often hear Masons say that there really aren't any secrets in Masonry anymore. I understand why they say this, I just disagree with them. The reason is that the word secret, like all words, has more than one meaning.
Yes, and often times the word is used incorrectly to denote something that another word or phrase would do much better at conveying what is intended to be conveyed. We use the word "secret" when the word "confidential" would suffice without misleading the listener into believing what is not being revealed or discussed is something that it is not.
Let me give you an example. Because I have a calculator on my desk I am able to quickly calculate how many minutes there are in a year. But I am not going to tell you. I promise you that I am going to keep the number of minutes in a year secret. Does this mean that you can not find out the answer? No, of course not. If you find out the number of minutes in a year does this mean that I have not kept my promise? Again, the answer is no.
I disagree. You are not keeping the number of minutes in a year a secret. If you were to do so, you would make every effort to prevent anyone from making effort to uncover the number. You're not keeping a secret. What you are doing is not conveying to a deemed unqualified person anything that would assist him in finding the answer for himself.
Masonic secrets are exactly like that.
I disagree. What is called "Freemasonic secrets" are things that can be found out through other means. These pieces of information are easily available to anyone who desires to find them out.
In my obligation I did not promise to prevent everyone from finding out the secrets of Masonry.
Agreed!
I only promised that I would not reveal them.
I do believe that you are mistaken. You promised not to reveal to or discuss them with anyone deemed unqualified. You would treat a qualified person totally different.
My Masonic obligation is not about what the other guy does, it is about what I do. And for me, the ability to control my own behavior is an essential first step in living a spiritual life.
What a coincidence! For me too!

dfreybur

Premium Member
There are many types of secret, some spiritual others pragmatic.

I don't even know what the word spiritual means to others. I recognize it when I experience it but I don't have a working definition.