Are you the First Mason in your family?

Discussion in 'The Voting Booth' started by MikeMay, Feb 24, 2011.

?

Are you the first Mason in your family

1. I'm the first!

71 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. I'm not the first! There have been others...

89 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. I thought I was the first but later found out there were others...

26 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. I'm not a mason yet, but I'm working on it!

9 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. Ashton Lawson

Ashton Lawson Premium Member

The only person in my family that I am aware of being a Mason is my Grandfather on my dad's side, who adopted my father as a child. I asked him about it a couple years before I joined, and he said that yeah, he'd been a Mason once but they wanted him there so much it interfered with church, so he quit going. That's all he ever said about it, and we've never discussed it since.

I have since discovered my wife's Grandfather was a Mason, but he went suspended for non-payment of dues a few years before he died. Her family are all anti-Mason's so I know none of his history. I have some 2nd & 3rd cousins who are also Masons or OES, but I haven't seen them since I was a young child.

I may as well be the first and only...

2. Mac

Mac Moderator Premium Member

I never really got to know my grandpa too well, but I did find out that he was a Mason, and so was my uncle. For all intents and purposes, I am the first in my family. Reading the stories of men "raising" their sons at the completion of the 3 degrees makes me hope that the Fraternity is seen in a good light by my own son. So far, so good.

Kinda neat to have a 4 year old say "I wanna go to your meetings when I get bigger." :)

3. Robert G

Robert G Premium Member

I am the first mason in my family in America. I don't know about my family in Italy though. After I became a mason in Colorado one of my younger brothers did also in New Jersey.

4. AnthonyBolding

AnthonyBolding Registered User

5. Geeksgalore

Geeksgalore Registered User

They all came out of the woodwork after I became one, go figure ;-)

6. Isagani96

Isagani96 Registered User

Yes, I'm the first Freemason in our Family. My younger brother hopefully will become a Master Mason this Year.

7. dizlwizl

dizlwizl Premium Member

I am also

8. LC Barbarino

LC Barbarino Registered User

I am the first Mason my grandfather was a Knight of Columbus. I have been personally touched by a brother and his help with the Shriners hospitals. He guided me through the degrees and is a great mentor, eventhough we are only a few years apart.

9. jwhoff

jwhoff Premium Member

Every tradition has a beginning. Stay with it. Your heritage will be thankful.

10. MikeMay

MikeMay Premium Member

so true brother, so true!

11. jw21

jw21 Registered User

First

12. Ceasare

Ceasare Premium Member

First, in my immediate family. However, I plan on being an example of positive fraternalism so that my son may seek the craft's bond as well. (he's two! LOL)

13. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Registered User

couple more years and he can be Squire!

14. Scott J

Scott J Registered User

I'm third generation as far as I know. My father(d), not sure how far he went in Masonry past Master Mason, and my Grandfather (Maternal). He was 32nd Scotish Rite. My mothers second husband(d) was also a Mason, Scotish Rite, York Rite and Shriner(Alhambra).

15. choppersteve03

choppersteve03 Premium Member

Iam the first in my imedate family, i have a daughter that wants to be a mason.

16. Rescue51

Rescue51 Premium Member

I had a grandpa that I didn't really know who was a Mason. I didn't find that out untill I had become an EA. My Grandma was an Eastern Star also.

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

17. Billy Jones

Billy Jones Registered User

My Great Grandfather was a Kentucky Mason, Grandfather a Mississippi Mason, his son my Uncle a Texas Mason, and I am a Mississippi Mason.

18. Ed Nelson

Ed Nelson Registered User

As far as I know, I am the 1st Masonic member of my family.

I am only able to trace my family history back a few generations. Both my father's side from Texas and my mother's side from Oklahoma were very, very poor and no family records are available.

Sadly, while I'm the 1st Mason of my family, I will also be the only one. My wife and I could have no children, so there is no legacy to pass on.

19. Mac

Mac Moderator Premium Member

I was excited about becoming a Mason, but my mother was not. Her side of the family in Scotland apparently opposes Freemasonry. The ironic part of this story is that a brother in Scotland is hand-crafting a gavel for my installation as Master of my Lodge!

My son already says he wants to be a Mason. My daughter wants to be a Shriner. ;)

20. chancerobinson

chancerobinson Registered User

My Grandfather is a Mason, and in October 2010 I had the honor and privilege of conferring the 3rd Degree in Masonry upon my father.

Share My Freemasonry