My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you the First Mason in your family?

Are you the first Mason in your family

• I'm the first!

Votes: 72 36.7%
  • I'm not the first! There have been others...

Votes: 89 45.4%
  • I thought I was the first but later found out there were others...

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • I'm not a mason yet, but I'm working on it!

Votes: 9 4.6%

• Total voters

drw72

Premium Member
Not the first because it skipped a generation. My father was DeMolay but never joined FM. His father was a Mason/Shriner and I traced Freemasonry (genealogical records, obits, and grave stones) in my family back to somewhere between 1771-1845.

Last edited:

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
On my side yes, however my Brother in law (wife's brother) introduced me to the Craft.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Purkaple

My maternal grandma's older brother, my great-uncle Larry Alan Thomas, of Omaha, was a Master Mason, Shriner, and in Scottish Rite. He died in 2007, and I didn't even know he was any of that stuff, let alone know of his existence at all, until after Grandma passed away a few years later. Nobody had ever really mentioned him until I got into genealogy, and I started asking about any family I didn't know about. Then I found out in his obituary, when I found it years later online, that it mentioned he was a Mason. Also, throughout time, people with my last name, and variations, have been brothers in the craft, but they are pretty distant relations.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro

Bloke

Premium Member
My maternal grandma's older brother, my great-uncle Larry Alan Thomas, of Omaha, was a Master Mason, Shriner, and in Scottish Rite. He died in 2007, and I didn't even know he was any of that stuff, let alone know of his existence at all, until after Grandma passed away a few years later. Nobody had ever really mentioned him until I got into genealogy, and I started asking about any family I didn't know about. Then I found out in his obituary, when I found it years later online, that it mentioned he was a Mason. Also, throughout time, people with my last name, and variations, have been brothers in the craft, but they are pretty distant relations.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro

Is there a lesson there to leave evidence we were masons for future generations ?

drw72

Premium Member
In addition to my original reply I just found out today via our family reunion in Indiana that my great-great Uncle was a Shriner and his brother was also a Mason. My Grandmother and her two sisters were in Eastern Star. And last but not least, my cousin is a Past Honored Queen of Bethel #106 of Barrington, IL.

McCrea

Here in Quebec, people comes mostly from a Catholic background, and Freemasonry is frowned upon. People were a lot more into the Knights of Columbus. As far as I know, I'm the first Mason in my family but I'd like it to become a tradition. My girlfriend is pregnant with our first child and she is due in January. We don't want to know the sex, so if it's a boy, he's gonna be a Lewis and I would love he would would join the fraternity when he is of age. We'll see!

Travelingman45

Here in Quebec, people comes mostly from a Catholic background, and Freemasonry is frowned upon. People were a lot more into the Knights of Columbus. As far as I know, I'm the first Mason in my family but I'd like it to become a tradition. My girlfriend is pregnant with our first child and she is due in January. We don't want to know the sex, so if it's a boy, he's gonna be a Lewis and I would love he would would join the fraternity when he is of age. We'll see!
Congratulations brother. May tje child be a healthy and happy baby.

Sent from my SM-N900T using My Freemasonry mobile app

Purkaple

@Purkaple its been awhile since uve been on here. How is your progression in the craft going?

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

I'm sorry it's been so long! I'm about to go in as Master Councilor of my DeMolay chapter in Kansas City, next month, but I'll age out of that when I turn 21 on September 25th, shortly after my term as MC ends. I was initiated as a EA on July 23rd at my home lodge and became a Master Mason on July 30th 2016 at a "chance to advance" class at a nearby lodge where I received 2nd and third degrees the same day. All 3 in eight days! I was then made Marshal of the Blue Lodge (Rising Sun 13) back in September. I'm also about to go thru the York Rite degrees and join the Knights Commandery in Liberty MO.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Purkaple

I know. I guess I'm mostly interested in going ahead in York Rite so soon because it's like a continuation of the Blue Lodge. European Masons I've heard are only considered full Masons after they get the Mark Master degree from the YR.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Bloke

Premium Member
Congratulations !