My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you the First Mason in your family?

Are you the first Mason in your family

• I'm the first!

Votes: 72 36.7%
  • I'm not the first! There have been others...

Votes: 89 45.4%
  • I thought I was the first but later found out there were others...

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • I'm not a mason yet, but I'm working on it!

Votes: 9 4.6%

• Total voters

chadwalker67

Two of my Great Great Grandfathers were Masons and two of my Great Uncles. My Grandfather and Great Grandfathers were both members of the Odd Fellows as I am also and I'm proud to carry on that tradition.

THemenway

My Father was a Master Mason, then became involved with the Scottish Rite in Houston.
I hope to follow in his footsteps very soon. He was a great man!

LCWebb

Premium Member
My father, a great uncle on father's side, cousin on my mother's side before me. I just found out that my great great grandfather was a MM at Gary lodge. I would like to find out more about who may have been in my family both sides but don't really know where to start. I also have two younger brothers and several younger cousins that don't know much about it but could one day be interested I hope.

jhodgdon

Just found out my grandpa was a Mason, among other frats like Moose, American Legion etc. Unfortunately I found out after he passed. Pity. I would have loved to go to lodge with him.

MikeMay

Premium Member
Just found out my grandpa was a Mason, among other frats like Moose, American Legion etc. Unfortunately I found out after he passed. Pity. I would have loved to go to lodge with him.

I wish I could have sat in lodge with my grandfather too....he was great to be around even before I ever knew he was a mason (Shriner and Scottish Rite)

filmgeekben

Just beginning my journey into masonry but i will be the first of my family, if I prove to be worthy of the title.

tbone1321

Premium Member
I was adopted by my dad and I am the first mason on that side of the family but my moms grandad was a mason and I don't know anything on his side

K.S.

As far as I know, from a little research, I am the only one anywhere near my family, who is a mason. My son is interested in DeMolay though. Every story has a beginning, ours is with me.

Casey

Mandalorian
Premium Member
My father was a mason. I need to do some genealogy to find out if any others were

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
My father was a mason. I need to do some genealogy to find out if any others were

That's what I am working on right now. Being adopted makes it a bit more difficult. I know there are stories of a relative in the past being associated with Masonry. On my mother's side of the family we are descended from the Stewart Clan of Scotland. So far with the help of another relative we have taken our family back to Robert the Bruce and according to some tales he was involved with Masonry and the Knights Templar. So far that is the only Masonic connection I have made and it is tenuous at best.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I do a lot through Ancestry and Rootsweb. I have also done some through the Clan Stewart Society and a couple of other Scottish websites. Ancestry does charge but every few weeks they open it up for free to past subscribers.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
No problem. If you need any help just let me know. I am no expert by any means but I can tell you what did and didn't work for me.