My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arkansas Freemason seeking advice

Boone

Greetings Brothers. I have a problem and am seeking advice. I'm a master mason from arkansas. I don't want to day too much as electronic communications pertaining to Masonry or the GL is now grounds for punitive action but I don't know where to turn. I had/have problems with the direction and unmasonic actions of the GL. I spoke up about it and was told that the GL would put pressure in lodges with dissenters and even threatened to pull charters. So I dimitted from my lodge so they would not be punished as I asked for explanations from the GL. Another brother dimitted with me for the same reason and to show our seriousness about the issues. Well no response or reply ever came from GL and I am told things have gotten worse. I have even been told that the GL us preventing brothers from joining lodges outside if arkansas because people were leaving in droves. The problem is it has been a couple years and I see things not changing. The brothers at my lodge ask me to join them again but as GL is a money minded organization putting themselves far above all others I can't in good conscience go against my oaths and support the GLs unmasonic conduct. I feel bad being unaffiliated from the Brotherhood but see no clear path.

My brother mason and I would like to join another lodge. We were, and in our hearts are, hardcore. But I'm not sure that works to our advantage where we are located. Anyhow any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks again

Freemason Connect Mobile

dhouseholder

Have you seen what the PHA lodges in your area are up to these days? I hear they have a well funded scholarship program. ;)

Boone

I have heard some brothers going there following the purge or exodus (depending) but as I live in the northern part of the state there are none nearby.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Boone

...scholarship program... It was amazing how much grief that stirred up around here. And that being posted on some lodge websites was part if what led to the ban on electronic communications and discussions.

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
Some Arkansas brothers are crossing the borders and affiliating with lodges in other states. There's also the option of joining a clandestine lodge. That's not normally reasonable advice but going in knowingly is different from being duped and if you no longer see your own jurisdiction as worthy why not? There's also the option of joining some other order and leaving us to our own resources. There are Oddfellows lodges hurting for members.

It's may understanding that the most recent nonsense with the Shrine was a Potentate who was illegally expelled without trial but he was a dual member in another state. His other lodge decided against expelling him so he continued on as Potentate since he continued being a Mason in good standing.

If there's no sign of future improvement would you like brothers to ask their jurisdictions to pull recognition from Arkansas? It is nearly the only option available to other jurisdictions and it's generally viewed as a last resort option.

Boone

Some Arkansas brothers are crossing the borders and affiliating with lodges in other states. There's also the option of joining a clandestine lodge. That's not normally reasonable advice but going in knowingly is different from being duped and if you no longer see your own jurisdiction as worthy why not? There's also the option of joining some other order and leaving us to our own resources. There are Oddfellows lodges hurting for members.

I wasn't sure how possible it might be to goto/transfer to another state with the GLoA trying to block it. Not sure how they could verify status and info if my old lodge would cooperate because of the GL.

I have met some oddfellows and my grandfather was one. I just really feel connected with Masonry and really delved into the teachings/lessons/mysteries. I think that is part if why I was so surprised at the GL and their actions.

If there's no sign of future improvement would you like brothers to ask their jurisdictions to pull recognition from Arkansas? It is nearly the only option available to other jurisdictions and it's generally viewed as a last resort option.

That is very serious, though I do not know of how else change might come. I went so far as beginning gathering information to confront the GLoA PM and WM with unmasonic conduct and was preparing this for the GL meeting and then I ran across the ways the GL has protected itself from such a trial by only allowing PGMs to sit in judgement. A brother told me it would be Masonic suicide and would do more damage (locally) than good. It is a very frustrating situation.

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
I wasn't sure how possible it might be to goto/transfer to another state with the GLoA trying to block it. Not sure how they could verify status and info if my old lodge would cooperate because of the GL.

You're on open demit right now. Adjacent states definitely know the situation. You can approach a lodge in an adjacent state and ask if they are willing to let you affiliate without going through the Grand Secretary's office as they are currently interfering with the paperwork. If they admit you they might require you to go through your degrees again. Can it hurt to ask?

I went so far as beginning gathering information to confront the GLoA PM and WM with unmasonic conduct and was preparing this for the GL meeting and then I ran across the ways the GL has protected itself from such a trial by only allowing PGMs to sit in judgement. A brother told me it would be Masonic suicide and would do more damage (locally) than good. It is a very frustrating situation.

I would be surprised if any current GM can be brought up on charges in any GL even if their bylaws allow it. Putting a PGM on trial would be Masonic suicide but it might be what's needed to wake up the current batch who are currently entrenched and defensive. Their defensive attitude needs to be removed and they need to live by their own Masonry. We outside of your jurisdiction can pray for real Masonic principles to prevail or we can take more actions than that.

Is it likely that any one GL will pull recognition from Arkansas? Low odds. Similar drama happened recently in France enough that UGLE pulled recognition. When it came to a vote in Illinois our then-GM asked for patience and we voted to retain recognition for the moment. On the other hand Indiana voted to pull recognition from Florida if they did not repeal Decision #3 this year. So even if Arkansas members started asking that it would be a mixed bag. It would be as hard to get brothers to do the paperwork as to get it passed in each jurisdiction.

As MMs we are to whisper good advice to brothers who are not living up to our principles. Maybe you could ask for a letter writing campaign by brothers outside of the jurisdiction to send letters of advice? That would likely deepen the entrenchment but maybe they don't know they are frowned upon widely in the Masonic world for expelling brothers without trial.