My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attended my first degrees as a side-liner this week

Ed Nelson

I hadn't has the chance to see any of the degrees from the sidelines since I got my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degrees.

This week, a local lodge had a 3rd degree , and I was able to drive over and sit in and watch.

It's amazing how much you don't see while it's you getting the degree! I was every bit as moved sitting on the side as I was when I was in the middle of the room! I even got to play a small part in the ceremony as one of the 12.

A few days later, a second lodge in my district had a double EA degree. The candidates went though the 1st half separately, them both did the 2nd half together. Call me a n00be, but I did get a little choked up watching them find the light. Doing the 1st part twice made for a long night, but it was so worth it.

If you haven't side-lined a degree since getting your own, definitely look around and check your local lodges. It's worth going to!

Last edited:

BEDickey

Premium Member
I agree 100%. Luckily our local Masonic Temple is home to a few fairly active Lodges, and got to watch each degree as that degree, not long after it had been conferred upon me. Really helped me to get my own work up to snuff to turn in.