“Audi, Vide, Tace”

Discussion in 'Masonic Education' started by Bloke, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

[​IMG]

I recently visited a Masonic Centre with the words "Audi, Vide, Tace" above the door to the lodge as shown above.... I'd not heard these before...
    ~~~~~~

Over the door are the Latin words “Audi, Vide, Tace“ which are generally translated as “Hear, see, be silent”.

These comes from a longer Latin saying, “Audi, vide, tace, si vis vivere in pace” which is generally translated as “Hear, see, be silent, if you would live in peace.”

The three Latin words remain in the Coat of Arms of the United Grand Lodge of England (shown below).[​IMG]

Until the 1950’s these three Latin words were also the motto of the Grand Lodge of South Australia and Northern Territory and are carved into the facade of that Grand Lodge’s building above four large Ionic Columns at Freemasons Hall, 254 North Terrace, Adelaide (shown below).
    [​IMG]

Are these three Latin words something you hear in the Jurisdictions of the United States ?
    Might they be more common in Canada as a member of the Commonwealth of Nations ?

2. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

In the States "Vide, Aude, Tace" (dare instead of silent) is seen, but still rare these days.

3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

This is the first time I've seen it but, at this point of my Masonic life, my visitation experience is limited.

4. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

Kind of reminds me of a saying I learned from another discipline that I find instructional; "To Know, To Will, To Dare, To Keep Silent".

5. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

I remember that from one of the Scottish Rite degrees not from the Craft degrees.

6. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

There are various reasons for being silent if one has started to penetrate the hidden mysteries of nature and science:

- avoiding attack by those offended by their own ignorance
    - preventing the unworthy from using the technical knowledge for improper ends
    - avoiding skeptical mental influences disturbing the unfoldment of the knowings
    - keeping faith with inner plane influences.

dfreybur likes this.
  7. Bro. Chaplain Andrew Ross

Bro. Chaplain Andrew Ross Registered User

The motto “Vide Aude Tace” made its first appearance in the Free-Masons Calendar from 1777. It is derived from a line of “leonine” verse (of a type much used in the Middle Ages) and in full is “Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace” meaning Hear, see and hold your tongue, if in peace you would live on. Bro. Chaplain Andrew Ross

Bloke likes this.
  8. Patrick Danahy

Patrick Danahy Registered User

Tace as a verb means to be silent. As a noun tace means candle. A candle is silent and emits light. Thus the wisdom of silence in the pursuit and protection of Masonic light.

9. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Not heard that.... i like it :)

10. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Sometimes silance is more important than noise. Somethings cant be described but has to be experienced.

Chaz likes this.
  11. Winter

Winter Premium Member

You see this Latin motto occasionally here in the US. I even have a ring somewhere with that inscription on it. You can interpret them several ways. You have two eyes, two ears, and one mouth. Listen and hear twice as much as you speak. Even more especially when you are in Lodge. Pay attention to the instructions given and keep silent among the profane.

Transmitted via R5 astromech using Tapatalk Galactic

Bloke likes this.

Share My Freemasonry