My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audiobooks

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
I have about an hour commute eachway. Does any brother have a suggestion for good Masonic audio books that I could buy on CD?

Senior Steward - Granbury #392
Junior Deacon - Glen Rose #525

Macbooktony

I, too have a long commute each day. Try listening to the podcast titled "whence came you" by Bro Robert Johnson. For audiobooks, I have found a huge selection of free classic books by searching "librivox" within the podcast app on my iPhone. There aren't any masonic books there, but you can still find very interesting titles both fiction and nonfiction to pass the time. I think they can also help you to record any book from the public domain, of which there are many masonic titles, and post it for others to listen to if you are so inclined.

For reading I recommend either the iBooks, kindle or nook apps. There are many older masonic books available for free through those readers. Also, if you search "freemason" in the apple App Store, there are two apps for $1.99 each that contain many older masonic books and the Mackey encyclopedia. You can find the mobile app version of these forums there too.

I know these recommendations are all tech-centric, but what can I say, I was born in the eighties...

Hopefully that helps and you can PM me for better instructions.

Dow Mathis

Premium Member
You might also check with your local library for audio books. For instance, the San Antonio Public Library has a large online audio book and ebook library that you can check out books from. You download them with the overdrive program (I believe that it works on i-thingies, but I know that it does on android and windows), and you can keep the titles for 21 days. After that time, they become unplayable. I drive 45 miles each way for work, and have been using their service for about three years. Unfortunately, I don't know of any freemasonry specific books in their collection, but I listen mainly to fiction on the road.

crono782

Premium Member
Is M&D public domain? I'd be up for recording an audiobook version. "MoT presents M&D, audio version" kinda thing. Each chapter by a diff bro professionally (or as best we can drum up) recorded. Heck, do the same thing for as many public domain FM books as we can. Why not?

Freemason Connect Mobile

Dow Mathis

Premium Member
Is M&D public domain? I'd be up for recording an audiobook version. "MoT presents M&D, audio version" kinda thing. Each chapter by a diff bro professionally (or as best we can drum up) recorded. Heck, do the same thing for as many public domain FM books as we can. Why not?

According to wikipedia (which everyone knows is both true and infallible :wink:):

After 1969 the copyright of Morals and Dogma was not renewed; and, like many out-of-copyright works, it was reprinted many times by various publishers. However, in August 2011 the Supreme Council, 33°, S.J., announced that a new, authorized edition had been published. Titled Albert Pike’s Morals and Dogma: Annotated Edition, the work was prepared by Arturo de Hoyos, 33°, G∴C∴, K.Y.C.H., the Scottish Rite’s Grand Archivist and Grand Historian. The text is reprinted in full, with about 4000 scholarly notes on difficult passages, touching on historical, religious, and philosophical issues. The new edition is augmented by subject headings, and illustrations from the original books Pike used, new paragraph numbers, and corrections based upon original texts.

So the original may be out of copyright. This seems to be the case, as the book is available in ebook format from Project Gutenburg, and they only do public domain documents.

However, before undertaking such a potentially daunting project, you would want to verify with the S.J. Supreme Council and get permission if necessary. It would be a shame to put all that work in only to be told that you can't distribute it.

dfreybur

Premium Member
So the original may be out of copyright. This seems to be the case, as the book is available in ebook format from Project Gutenburg, and they only do public domain documents.

Project Gutenburg is the original public domain archive site on the web. The audio branch is vibrivox.org They have a lot of Project Gutenburg books read by volunteers. I'm currently listening to one on Buddhism on my commute plus several others as I cycle disc to disc to have several in parallel.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
You might check Bro. Michael Poll's page on Facebook- he owns a bookstore in New Orleans with many Masonic titles offered. He may know of or be able to provide what you seek.