Becoming a Mason.

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by kyle bruce, Dec 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. kyle bruce

kyle bruce Registered User

I was wondering how much will the proper attire cost when you become a free mason.

2. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

The cost of a suit varies. I once bought a very nice one from the Salvation Army for $12.00. (plus dry cleaning)

Mel Knight and Classical like this.
  3. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

It will depend somewhat on the jurisdiction. Standard attire can vary quite a lot.

4. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Buy a black suit, a dress shirt, a tuxedo shirt, a regular tie, bow tie, lace up black shoes. Most people don't notice the difference between a tux and suit if you've got a magic bow tie. Watch for sales at Men's Wearhouse or go to a thrift store.

Mel Knight and Ressam like this.
  5. kyle bruce

Thanks for the replies, but what i meant by attire was items such as chain collars,gloves,hats,etc.

6. Glen Cook

In the lodge of which I'm aware, you would only need to purchase gloves. Should you one day become master, some jurisdictions use a hat

kyle bruce likes this.
  7. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

We were gloves for pictures and funerals. Or for very special occasions.

kyle bruce likes this.
  8. kyle bruce

you guys are really helpful. thanks

9. Glen Cook

Hm. I wish my wife felt that way

Emjaysmash and Classical like this.
  10. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Again, it varies from place to place

Here, EA and FC apron supplied by lodge. Here, 12 months after initiation before you need to buy a tux (dinner suit). These are often longer lasting and cheaper than a regular suit. You need a bow tie (so expensive for what they are, like lingerie, perhaps the less material used the more expensive a dress item is !) White gloves and eventually a MM apron. If you gave me a budget of about $250, I could get that all (that's not an offer, its an observation LOL). If you gave me a budget of $150, i would also get the job done... Chains and gauntlets etc - all supplied by the lodge to the officers who need them...

Classical likes this.
  11. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

In my lodge, there is no dress code, we don't wear gloves, and jewels are only for officers and supplied by the lodge. So, in essence, there is no cost for attire. So, once again, as James the Just said, it will really depend on your jurisdiction.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  12. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Same in the two lodges that I belong to and all of the ones that I have visited so far. However, even if you attend lodges with no dress code it is a good idea to buy a suit for officer installations and other special occasions.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    hanzosbm likes this.

Share My Freemasonry