My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Before the petition

Benjaminblaqk

Hello Friends and Brothers,

So I've been thinking of joined the Lodge for a while now. years to be exact. I like the philosophy and task given to the Lodge to make men make a better world. Years have rolled by, and I feel like now is the time to pull the trigger. I live maybe a half mile from a Lodge, but what keeps me from going is knowing I need co signers.

I know a great many people. I'm a barber you see, so I like to think I have friends from all walks of life. I just don't really know how to go about asking them if :

1: are you a Mason
and
2: would you feel comfortable signing for me

Living in a small town cutting hair for along as I have, I feel most people are familiar with where I stand, and know that while I may be weird, I don't abuse animals or women, and certainly am not a cannibal. One would suppose its just hard to get the ball rolling. I'm also a proud member of the Elks Lodge, So i already have a good team of people who are willing to speak for me.

I guess the meat and potatoes of this whole thing is how strange would it be if your barber started to ask you masonic questions?

hfmm97

Premium Member
Ask your fellow Elks if any of them are Masons: tell them you are interested in visiting a lodge - these Elks that are also Masons can sign off on your petition

Otherwise look up the lodge on the Internet, find out the stated meeting night day and time - and just show up - dress to impress and be courteous and friendly usually there is a dinner before the meeting.
If you don’t know any brothers there, then continue to go back to the meetings- eventually they will get to know you and be more likely to willing to sign your petition.

I’m talking about most USA lodges-outside the USA you might have to know a brother who is already a member.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member
We many not need co-signers. For instance, here, after investigation, you can be proposed "by dispensation" where the signers have not known you for the required period of time.

My advice - just approach the lodge and ask... you might find that the secretary asks around - mentions your name, and suddenly you do have a traditional proposer.. but the only way to start the journey is for your to approach the local lodge -so just do it... (but asking around at Elks is also a good suggestion).

hfmm97

Premium Member
And you also have to take the initiative from asking for a petition to following up with your Masonic studies for advancement to volunteering for officer positions the old saying “you get out of something what you contribute” I think is not 100% true at least for me-I have gotten much more out of Masonry than what I’ve put in to the system

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Not at all strange. I think most Masons welcome legitimate interest.
True.
Otherwise look up the lodge on the Internet, find out the stated meeting night day and time - and just show up
Exactly.
dress to impress
A coat and tie will most certainly make a good first impression.
If you don’t know any brothers there, then continue to go back to the meetings- eventually they will get to know you and be more likely to willing to sign your petition.
Exactly.

Howard Giang

I live maybe a half mile from a Lodge, but what keeps me from going is knowing I need co signers.
One way you can tell if the person is a Freemason is how he talks to his Brothers usually like “what's up bro?”
Just kidding. Anyhow, if I became one before you, I would consider sign a petition for you to join. I think it is an honor to have the privilege to be asked to be a signer like a big brother in college fraternity. Now, I have to go look for one to sign mine.

hfmm97

Premium Member
We are NOT a college frat - the brothers in the lodge would have to get to know you and trust you before they would sign your petition if they do their job properly

If you don’t know any Masons go to the lodge (usually there is a dinner before the stated meeting-go to the website of the Grand Lodge of Texas if you live in Texas and find the lodge closest to where you live and/or work. Go to dinner and meet the gentlemen do this multiple times; offer to help out if lodge policies permit this.

Freemasonry = work
Freemasonry takes time and patience

CLewey44

Hello Friends and Brothers,

So I've been thinking of joined the Lodge for a while now. years to be exact. I like the philosophy and task given to the Lodge to make men make a better world. Years have rolled by, and I feel like now is the time to pull the trigger. I live maybe a half mile from a Lodge, but what keeps me from going is knowing I need co signers.

I know a great many people. I'm a barber you see, so I like to think I have friends from all walks of life. I just don't really know how to go about asking them if :

1: are you a Mason
and
2: would you feel comfortable signing for me

Living in a small town cutting hair for along as I have, I feel most people are familiar with where I stand, and know that while I may be weird, I don't abuse animals or women, and certainly am not a cannibal. One would suppose its just hard to get the ball rolling. I'm also a proud member of the Elks Lodge, So i already have a good team of people who are willing to speak for me.

I guess the meat and potatoes of this whole thing is how strange would it be if your barber started to ask you masonic questions?

I know most masons are glad to talk with you about it and would encourage you to join but I wouldn't even mention the abusing others or cannibalizing them part, thats a little Sweeny Toddish and just by bringing it up would be offputting. However, I would say they would be glad to answer any questions.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I know most masons are glad to talk with you about it and would encourage you to join but I wouldn't even mention the abusing others or cannibalizing them part, thats a little Sweeny Toddish and just by bringing it up would be offputting. However, I would say they would be glad to answer any questions.
Why is it I suddenly want a pie?

Keith C

Joining Freemasonry is serious business - we’re not looking for comedians.

By joining Freemasonry you are joining a family of brothers- show some respect

In my lodge there is a lot of joking and fun. Yes we deport ourselves properly in Lodge, but a humorous quip poking fun at one's profession on an internet forum is not worthy of a "dressing down."

Peter Sellers
Richard Prior
W.C Fields
Oliver Hardy
Will Rogers
Bud Abbot
Foster Brooks
Norm Crosby
Moe Howard
Curly Howard

All comediennes and worth Brothers of the Craft. Perhaps your Lodge isn't looking for these type men, but mine sure is.

To the OP:

I would suggest you visit the website of the Grand Lodge in your State and get the contact information for the Secretary of the Lodge and drop him a note, stating your interest in the fraternity. In my case that led to an invitation to dinner before a stated meeting. After several such dinners, talking and getting to know the members it was clear to several members that I would likely fit in and several were willing to sign my petition. A Past Master was my first line signer and I actually had a friend from church who was a member of a different lodge be my second line signer.

Also, don't lose your sense of humor. Be yourself, you want your authentic self to be evident to the members of the Lodge, as their's will be to you. Only this way can you both know that you will be a good fit with that Lodge.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
In my lodge there is a lot of joking and fun. Yes we deport ourselves properly in Lodge, but a humorous quip poking fun at one's profession on an internet forum is not worth of a "dressing down."
Agreed. A little levity at the proper time does no harm and lightens things up a bit.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
We are NOT a college frat - the brothers in the lodge would have to get to know you and trust you before they would sign your petition if they do their job properly

I'm curious brother, which college fraternity were/are you a member of?