Books for a Prospective Mason?

Discussion in 'Becoming a Freemason' started by WheatBarley, Jul 17, 2020.

1. WheatBarley

WheatBarley Registered User

Hello all,

I'm hoping to petition my local lodge this fall, and in the meantime, I would love to read more about Freemasonry. The problem is, I don't want to spoil the initiatory experience by knowing what to expect from the ceremonies. That makes me leery of buying some of the Masonic books I see available without another person telling me if they have any "spoilers".

I would love to hear your recommendations for some good books on Freemasonry which wouldn't risk spoiling the initiatory experience for me, should my petition be approved. I read Hodapp's Freemasonry for Dummies, but skipped the section on the ritual. Are there books that could give me a more general background, like stuff about medieval guilds, Enlightenment rationalism, or the building of Solomon's Temple which y'all would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: apologies if this should be posted in the general discussion area. Mods, feel free to move if that's the more appropriate section.

2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

I wrote "The Craft Unmasked! The Uncommon Origin of Freemasonry and Its Practice" with you in mind. It gives a great overview of what to expect, without going through the actual details of the experience.

You can find it here: http://www.coach.net/TCU.htm

3. WheatBarley

Thanks Coach! I definitely prefer books which I know are written by a Freemason, because ideally your obligations should keep you from "spilling the beans" too much.

coachn likes this.
  4. TheThumbPuppy

TheThumbPuppy Registered User

My favourite books on that subject (so far) are:
    • The Origims of Freemasonry - Scotland's century, 1590-1710 by David Stevenson
    • Cracking the Freemason's Code by Robert Cooper
    Both are available as e-books.

5. Thomas Stright

Thomas Stright Premium Member

Please stay away from anything claiming to have anything to do with degree work....

Bill Lins likes this.
  6. WheatBarley

Yes, absolutely! I don't want to know what to expect before I actually go through the rituals (provided my petition gets approved).

7. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Eternal Apprentice Premium Member

Hopefully you're already looking for a history of the grand lodge of colorado :) :)

Chaz likes this.
  8. Matt1

Matt1 Registered User

I'm not sure you find Masonic secrets in libraries or bookstores, but the internet sometimes reveals toi much. I did try to find out as much as possibile before I petitioned. Most of that was useful for taking that leap, but not all. There's disinformation, misinformation and too much information.

TheThumbPuppy likes this.
  9. Winter

Winter Premium Member

Share My Freemasonry