My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Freemasonry "Slogans" be used for Politcal use?

VinnyC

I was wondering if a Freemason who is running for any type of political office, would be able to use the slogans/motto/cliche's from Freemasonry?

Example:
Vote: John Smith for Senator
"Making Good Men become better Men".

or

Vote: Joe Doe for Mayor
Joe Doe says, We will all "Meet on the Level"

Is it against the Laws of Freemasonry?

Last edited:

cemab4y

Premium Member
None of the phrases or terms from Masonry are copyrighted. Brother Harry Truman had an economic program, called the "Square Deal". Masonic? maybe. You might see a political slogan' "Vote for John Smith, he is on the level".

Mac

Premium Member
I don't think it's the phrasing so much as the intent and perception. If your big ugly mug gets plastered on a billboard to advertise your political campaign, and you're sporting a square and compass on your lapel and a slogan like the ones mentioned above, you're probably in violation of masonic law.

As brother Charles points out, the phrases aren't copyrighted. In many cases, they're just plain old vernacular, which can sometimes confuse would-be researchers. If someone said something even remotely Masonic-sounding in their public station, then suddenly a simple speech might be analyzed as though it was a grand Masonic oration.