Can you defend the light you wear?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Bro.BruceBenjamin, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bro.BruceBenjamin

Bro.BruceBenjamin Premium Member

I see a lot of brothers wearing light on their car and their person, but my question is can you defend the light that you wear. What do you mean by that Bro.Benjamin? All I am saying is this most people know what the square and compass are. Most people also know what the “G†means in the center. However what does the blue, red, or black color in the ring for example mean? What does the screw in the square and compass mean?

An old DDGM once told me if you can’t defend your light don’t wear any. He also said those who know the most wear the least. I saw a guy at McDonald’s with six auto decals whom I greeted on the second he was lost. I don’t know if he was clandestine or not but I do know he had lots of decals for show. Some of the older guys believe in taking light off if you cant defend it, but I don’t advocate that in any form or fashion.

2. owls84

owls84 Moderator Premium Member

Brother Benjamin, I have thought about this all weekend. I personally could not defend my light. I have heard stories from some of my PHA Brothers when they talk to about "defending" the light. I would love to know what the guys know that I have talked to. I personally feel this type of lessons have been lost in time in what I know Masonry to be. Many of the guys I know are trying to find some of this type of symbolism but much of it is passed from generation to generation and not written in books that we have got our hands on. One of the many reasons I which we had stronger ties with our PHA Brothers.

I walked in Pride of the South's Lodge room for a tour prior to a fundraising event we performed together and in the Lodge room they had a diagram of the 47th Problem of Euclid with it all worked out and you could tell there was some work being done in that room and it was an amazing feeling. The only explination I have received on this topic was a few YouTube videos I have seen and the stuff I have read on this topic. It goes back to the fact that symbolism is being taught but not allegories. I look forward to the day I can learn this stuff.

3. MacFie

MacFie Registered User

I would really like to know what the colours and screw mean! Looks like I'll be asking around at the lodge in a few weeks!

4. Bro.BruceBenjamin

i will private message you gentlemen with the answers you seek. Let their be light!

My SW just did a lecture on this topic i will see if i can find the notes taken from it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
    Myreon strong likes this.
  5. Dave in Waco

Dave in Waco Premium Member

I would appreciate some light on this as well Bro. Bruce.

6. Bro. Brad Marrs

Bro. Brad Marrs Premium Member

Bro. Bruce,

I too would appreciate any light you could bestow! Thank you.

7. Bro.BruceBenjamin

im unsure if their is a private master mason forum, but this is better suited for such. My
    SW just called back and gave me permission to share it all while being reminded, "I did not so received it....."

8. johncjr60

johncjr60 Registered User

I would like to get some info on this topic as well

9. S.Courtemanche

S.Courtemanche Premium Member

Same here, please inform on the colors and screw meaning.. Thanks

10. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

hahahaha. it would seem everyone wants to know.

including myself.

11. Benton

Benton Premium Member

.... I want to know too. :)

12. Jason merideth

Jason merideth Registered User

I would love to be added to the list of folks that gets light....

13. rhitland

rhitland Founding Member Premium Member

screw this me to I gotta know about the screw! ;)

By the way if defending the light means being able to explain the S&C with the text book answer, than I am afraid I would fail but if I am free to explain it on my own terms then I might push you into a deep rabbit hole or make you think I am wackado. ;)

14. BillyWaltmon

BillyWaltmon Registered User

If I'm not to late, I would like to recive said light as well. I am new to the craft and really want to learn. Only raised 09/02/10. Thank you and So Mote It Be my brother.

Billy Waltmon; MM
    Channelview, TX
    C.A. Fortner Lodge # 1304

15. KirkMcPherson

KirkMcPherson Registered User

My turn, I want on this band wagon!

I too would like to more light into the colours and screw.

16. owls84

owls84 Moderator Premium Member

Looks like you have opened the worm hole here Brother Benjamin.

A little history on this topic and I would like clarification from a knowledgeable Brother. When talking to my PHA Brothers, if a man is wearing a S&C ring or has an emblem on their car another Brother could challenge the Brother to "Defend his Light." A question would be asked similar to the ones here and if the Brother could not answer the question the Brother would lose his ring. I was told this is now frowned upon but some people still expect you to be able to do this.

It is a method of teaching and giving incentive to the newly raised Brother to learn the work and more importantly learn the deeper meanings. It is also a version of recognition. If you asked me it would be fun to do even if you don't take their ring but just to walk up and be tested.

17. KirkMcPherson

KirkMcPherson Registered User

My wife's grandfather does this to me everytime I see. I don't see him often since we live so far apart, but it his way making sure I keep up with my education.

18. rhitland

rhitland Founding Member Premium Member

that is awesomeness!

19. Zack

Zack Registered User

I just can't imagine someone taking a ring off my finger.

20. Dave in Waco

Dave in Waco Premium Member

I agree it, would be a fun way to keep a brother on his toes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share My Freemasonry