My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Causes of the US Civil War

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Funny, the referral to the Articals of Secession. The key point missing in the argument is the fact that the Union didn't end slavery until many years after the end of the War in 1864.

Not really. There is an argument
* The Union went to war against the south over slavery

I don't agree with this. Lincoln was a white supremacist. He might have been an abolitionist, but he also believed in inequality of races.

This debate frequently relies in glorifying the North. The North had abolitionists, but they were still supremacists who disavowed equality adn brotherhood of all man (see Prince Hall).

* The second question is one of - What was the Civil War over.

I think it can be said the South seceded over slavery. If not the only reason, it was in the top two or three. It sure was mentioned a lot during the secession and start of the confederate states.
And the North at the very least went to war over secession (which was caused by...).

When was the flag popularized and put on state grounds and used as an emblem throughout the confederacy popularly? At the end of the war - is this the symbol all the former confederate states were flying like they are today to show their loyalty and heritage? If you have good reading on the popular symbols, I'm always up for learning. I haven't read up on it in a decade, but the reading then indicated the popularization of the widespread showing of that symbol didn't start until the civil right period.

I simply find it odd that local focused veterans wouldn't revere their local symbols, which next to no one has a problem with. A lot of people think the stars and bars are included in the 6 flags over Texas and are confused when they find out it's not. Which heritage was lost?

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
A lot of people think the stars and bars are included in the 6 flags over Texas and are confused when they find out it's not.

Really? Have you ever traveled by one of the Texas tourist stations on a major highway? The "stars and bars" IS included within the six flags proudly displayed. As I mentioned in my previous post the common mis-conception of people today is that the "battle flag" is not the "stars and bars", the First National is.

As to the "cause of the War" I refer back to my original reply within this thread:

History will tell you that the only reason why the Federal Government chose to force the CSA States back in to the Union was simply the Import/Export Tax profit lost by them leaving the Union. The "drive" for the Union was to re-establish its income. The major taxable export at that time was cotton, and almost all of it was grown in the South and sold to Europe. If you look at timing, the Emancipation Proclamation (which only freed slaves in the South) was drafted just in time for Europe to grant her full support of the CSA. Funny how the "new" support scared the heck out of the Union because they knew at that time the renewed support could change the course of the War. Europe also being Slavery based wanted nothing to do with the Proclamation.

The facts of why and where are just as cloudy about the War of Northern Aggression as the JFK assasination IMO; due in part to the "victors go the spoils" I will leave you with a couple of my favorite quotes from the era, and one modern one from Pankow...

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I have many many ancestors who fought and died in the Civil War on both sides and I am very proud of that fact but I do understand that the Confedrate flag has been deemed an emblem of hate and as much as I hate that it is reality and I will not asscosiate myself to it anymore b/c of that fact, just as the swatstika is no longer a symbol of the 4 Ls Life, Love, Laughter and Loyality as it symbolized for many centuries then Hitler ruined that one for us. We learn in Masonry symbols have a profound effect upon the mind and body and if we tote symbols of hate then we will generate just that.