My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cedar of Lebanon

CedrusLibani-1.jpg

This Biblical tree was used in the Temple built by Solomon. Of the many different kinds of trees whose wood qualities caused them to be called cedars, the Lebanese is the original. It is Cedrus, Latinized from the ancient Greek kedros, and grows not only in Lebanon but in Turkey and adjacent countries; it is the Biblical cedar. In the world there are only three true cedars, none native to the new world.

The bark of the Cedar of Lebanon is dark gray and exudes a gum of balsam which makes the wound so fragrant that to walk in a grove of cedars is an utmost delight. The wood is astonishingly decay resistant and it is never eaten by insect larvae. It is of a beautiful red tone, and very solid.

Lebanon cedar has been used by various civilizations. The Egyptians used its resin to mummify their dead and thus called it the "life of death", and cedar sawdust was found in the tombs of the Pharaohs as well. Pagans had the tradition of burning the cedar coming from Lebanon with their offerings and in their ceremonies. Jewish priests however, were ordered by Moses to use the peel of the Lebanese Cedar in the treatment of leprosy. According to the Talmud, Jews used to burn Lebanese cedar wood on the mountain of olives announcing the beginning of the New Year.

Attachments

• cedar-of-lebanon.jpg
    cedar-of-lebanon.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,220

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The past weekend I went through the Scottish Rite and actually saw some Ceder of Lebanon in the Scottish Rite Temple. The office of the S.G.I.G was paneled with it.