My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Certification

HKTidwell

Premium Member
After speaking with Brother Lins on here, I decided to meet up with him at a certification in Georgetown. For two reason a) to meet him in person, b) based on his recommendation so I would know the process for the future.

It was a great experience Brother Lins is a extremely good about taking time to explain things in person as he is on here. While I was not there to be certified he made sure that I was involved and had a good understanding about what would happen during an examination. I would strongly recommend sitting in on one of these so you know what is expected when you decide to pursue your certification.

My next thought was why are there such a limited amount of brethren certified? I may be wrong in my assumption about the quantity of Masons who are certified but I know my lodge does not have any brothers who are certified.

For those on here who have been a mason for a long period of time, was there a time when more people held a Certification in the lodge. If so what caused the change in your opinion?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I know back in the "Glory days" at 148 they had an awesome degree team with many A certed but everbody on the degree team was at least B; also in order to be JW you had to be able to teach floor school for all degrees so he had to be B certed also which equaled a bunch of certified Masons at 148. Today 148 has 2 certified Masons. My opinion on why the decline is b/c it is no longer "cool" to be certified like it was in the glory days.

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I wonder if there is a way to bring back the "Cool" factor into being certified. Perhaps this is a district thing that could be a challenge between lodges. I definitely see a benefit, after sitting in on the certification process.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Bro. Hugh- thanks for the kind words. I was extremely fortunate to have an instructor who took the time to explain the work, rather than just have me memorize it. I try my best to emulate his example. I'm glad you came & enjoyed yourself. I think if more Brethren would attend, they would like it as much as you did.

Bro. Rhit- what's "uncool" about getting the recognition, certificate, & pin (for "A")?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I wonder if there is a way to bring back the "Cool" factor into being certified. Perhaps this is a district thing that could be a challenge between lodges. I definitely see a benefit, after sitting in on the certification process.

That's a great idea! I'd bet your DI would be willing to help with this.

Zack

For those on here who have been a mason for a long period of time, was there a time when more people held a Certification in the lodge. If so what caused the change in your opinion?

Yes. there was a time when more members held proficiency cards etc.

I can't speak to Texas, but in my jurisdiction, change came about when Freemasonry became obsessed with quantity vs quality of its membership.
Just my opinion.

Wingnut

Premium Member
looking back at the old proceedings (I love reading them!) there were several hundred or more a year being presented. I think that has kind of fallen by the way side since the 70s-80s however, I dont see near as many and many of the older masons havent even heard about it!

owls84

Premium Member
I can't speak to Texas, but in my jurisdiction, change came about when Freemasonry became obsessed with quantity vs quality of its membership.

+1

Let me ask this, with the current issues with the endowment funds would you think it to be a good idea to award the endowment after 5 or 10 years of holding an A-Cert? Not saying it would happen but what stops a person from getting his A then never getting it again because he got his endowment. (The "well he worked too hard to drop it" can't apply here)

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
No, I think that if the lodge raises their endowments to a reasonable rate, it shouldn't be a problem.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Not saying it would happen but what stops a person from getting his A then never getting it again because he got his endowment. (The "well he worked too hard to drop it" can't apply here)

Oh, yes it does! It's just too much to learn to forget about it. Besides, in the rural areas anyway, there are so few of us that we often get called to come give the lectures in degrees in other Lodges. There's probably a few who let the work go but I'd bet they're a tiny minority.