My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenges WM Face

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
To the Worshipful Masters and Past Masters, what was the biggest challenge you've faced? Was there anything you would do differently?

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
The biggest one I can think of is actually having the apathetic old members actually do something to contribute positively. Seems like it is always the same handful of people carrying the entire load.:beer:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Amen to that! Other than that, the biggest challenge I faced was getting the Brethren to understand why we needed to sell our land & building. When I broke the finances down to show them that we were losing $200.00/month & came up with a plan for where we would meet, they finally bought in to it. That part took 6 months- it took another 18 months to get GL to agree to it.

Skogie

My first time as WM was a real headache and trial of wills and authority. A group of PM's who refused to change in any way, shape or form the way things were done or had been done in the past.

Something as simple as having a 1st degree in July when the lodge is offically "dark" (July & August) was similiar to getting a health bill through Congress. Arizona Masonic Code allows the WM to call a "special" meeting anytime other than on Sunday. Their refusal to assist or even attend was easily solved by the help of brothers from surrounding lodges who were more than happy to assist.

I won't go into the details of what else occured, but that is just one example. That lodge is still having problems.

The 2nd time was a snap in a different lodge and city. All the PM's who had controlled this lodge had either passed away, moved away, or were on life support and unable to participate or object. Hence, no problems. The lodge was dead with one struggling WM and no progressive line. Because of my past experience and the assistance of that one struggling WM, in one year we intitiated, passed and raised 6 good men to MM. We started up old programs once again and involved the membership in them. We now have an alive and vibrant lodge. Sojourners, living in the area also became active, affiliated or transferred their memberships from out of state lodges and joined in the activities.

These same sojourners had already visited and rejected this lodge previously due to the attitudes they had encountered. They had offered to become active and volunteering in various programs. No one ever contacted them, so they just never came back. That's sad. You would be surprised how many times that happens. Members like to feel they are needed in any organization.

Richard Skoglund, PM
Secretary

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
The day after I was installed we had two deaths. Not a good way to start out the year.

Then, the Brethren voted to move to another Lodge. We were renting. We had lots of fun searching for Lodges willing to rent and then agreeing which one to select.

It was good. Glad it's over!