My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chamber of Commerce

HKTidwell

Premium Member
Is there a GLoT law which would prohibit the joining of a Chamber of Commerce? For fund raising and community activities these are the people we need to get involved IMHO. Most local business would support Scholerships, Masonic Christmas(program we started at our lodge), Hospitals, etc.... Also if you get these people involved in one aspect then they have a possibility of joining.

I know, I read of a lodge out in CA who joined their local Chamber and has seen some good things come about.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Premium Member
We have been approached by the Rotary to work together on fund raising events... good idea I think

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
Brother Tidwell, I am not aware of any GLOT Law that would prohibit you from joining the Chamber of Commerce. Like Brother Wyndell said above, our lodge has been approached by the Lions Club, to work a fundraiser together. I have been asking around, but have not been told by anyone yet that this sort of project would be taboo.

HKTidwell

Premium Member
So tonight I have been going through the laws of the GLoT and ran across this article. Would this prohibit it and can anybody clarify the intent of this? Ie can a lodge donate money to a local organization, join an organization such as the chamber, etc..?

Art. 339. Lodge Shall Not Sponsor Other Organizations. No
lodge shall stand as sponsor for any other organization, even though
such organization be composed exclusively of Master Masons or of
the wives, sister, sons, or daughters of Master Masons. Provided that
this article shall not apply to the Chapters of the Order of DeMolay
for Boys, Assemblies of the Order of Rainbow for Girls, and Bethels
of the International Order of Job’s Daughters. (Revised 1989)

BTW 468 pages, holy smokes!!!

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
I don't know that any other organizations are recognized as "masonic," which are able to be sponsored.

Wingnut

Premium Member
The way Ive been told on that article is that it prevents us from being a sponsor for say a kids baseball team. Removes the liability from us (blue lodge) and Grand Lodge. Working with another group to maximize your fundraising events shouldnt be effected. ie. Blue Lodge selling hamburgers at a Rotary Carnival for example.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
I am not certain that joining a Chamber of Commerce, and sponsering another onganization have any relevance to each other. I am going to forward the question to one of the members of the Jurisprudence Committee and see if we can get an answer.

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I am not certain that joining a Chamber of Commerce, and sponsering another onganization have any relevance to each other. I am going to forward the question to one of the members of the Jurisprudence Committee and see if we can get an answer.

Sweet thank you!

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
a letter from the secretary to the commit. on jurisprudence would find a good answer to this one, i think.

i would imagine it would be a good idea, but i do know that we can't do things like "sponsor a baseball team" and things like that from experience.